Parasite glider?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainVideo

Reaction score
Would this work as a parasite glider, hanging from a bent paper clip taped to an Amazon rocket?
Maybe with an 808 camera on the opposite side? It doesn't seem to weigh very much and already has a notch on the bottom.
parasite_gldr_4664cr.jpgparasite_gldr-side_4679.jpg

Yeah, down between the fins to keep the center of pressure back. Just don't put it up near the nose.

kj

I'm with them... Give it a try!

Like KJ said, hang it near the fins to keep the CP back and let the wing rest on the fin tips to provide some side-to-side stability like Fyrwrxz was talking about.

Looks like it is made out of soft foam or something. You might inadvertently learn more about flutter...

Make sure to get video!

is the central/vertical/yellow section hard plastic or foam? If that segment is foam, the nose may bend a bit right or left and cause some problems.
Otherwise, stick it tail end of a very stable rocket, come up with some mount to keep the nose pointed forward and wings flat but will release easily when chute deploys, and some sharp eyed spotters to try to find this thing on its way down!

If you buy two of these the MPC Lunar Patrol rocket might work well for your lifting vehicle:

https://www.oldrocketplans.com/mpc/mpcR-215/R-215.pdf

A Lunar Patrol? Sounds familiar. Think I've seen one of those somewhere...
Any way, I echo all of the above advice. I would add that I wouldn't attempt this with anything above A engines. Looks like more powerful ones would rip this thing apart.

I wouldn't attempt this with anything above A engines.
You DON'T want to use A engines with an Amazon rocket, it doesn't go well...
[video=youtube;emjV_ufeuOw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emjV_ufeuOw[/video]

Where did you get that from? And what did it cost?
Have access to a roof? Try dropping it nose up and see what happens and fiddle with it till you get what you want out of it.
btw, I have rule exactly like the one in your picture, actually I got a pair off a ebay. Place called fixfind.
Last time I looked they seam to have went out of business or something, nothing to offer.

Would this work as a parasite glider, hanging from a bent paper clip taped to an Amazon rocket?
Maybe with an 808 camera on the opposite side? It doesn't seem to weigh very much and already has a notch on the bottom.
View attachment 316674View attachment 316675

Where did you get that from? And what did it cost?
It was an impulse buy from Walgreens. I was there looking for a plastic Easter egg that would fit on a TP roll as a nose cone for my Bubba build rocket.(found one that fits perfectly)
I spotted that glider in the toys isle. I think it was a buck or two. Literally the second I laid eyes on it I thought "parasite glider". If it doesn't work, no big deal, as it wasn't a budget buster.

You don't have to worry about short delays as much with a parasite glider on a larger rocket. B6-4 would probably be fine. B4-4 probably too long due to the lower thrust.

kj

Back