LDRS 36 - 2017 reports

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eric - I wonder if the propellant you couldn't pinpoint on that Magnum could be AT Classic?

What a fantastic launch...
MDRA,,
My hats off to ya,,,
Just a fantastic launch,, time after time...
What a hard working bunch of people...
Thank you all so much....

Teddy

The numbers are in for LDRS 36.

Day One; Only 10 flights left the ground due to rain, wind and low clouds.

Day Two; 100 flights left the ground in less than optimal conditions, high winds and a limited 6,000' waiver.

Day Three; 300 flights left the ground into clear but windy skies and a 14,000' waiver.

Day Four; 309 flights left the ground in light winds, clear skies and finally warm temperatures under a 14,000' waiver.

Total flights for the event: 719

Thanks to all the Fliers, Vendors and Volunteers that made LDRS 36 the biggest and best rocket launch of 2017.

ROCKETS Magazine will have full coverage of the event. Be sure to fill out your Data Sheet, available from the LDRS 36 web site and send it to;

[email protected]

We are also interested in any photos and video that you may have from the event. Contact us with any questions.

ROCKETS Magazine will have full coverage of the event. Be sure to fill out your Data Sheet, available from the LDRS 36 web site and send it to;

[email protected]

We are also interested in any photos and video that you may have from the event. Contact us with any questions.

All submissions are getting bounced back as mailbox is full. Tried one yesterday as well.

All submissions are getting bounced back as mailbox is full. Tried one yesterday as well.

We are looking into it. I sent one that didn't bounce......we will advise, thanks for the heads up!

We have received some Data Sheets from other fliers, so it is working.....try either:

[email protected] or [email protected]

They both go to the same place....

Some tablets and other systems seem to resist sending to this email......

Here are a few shots from LDRS36

061.jpg
Watching a flight
065.jpg
My son Gregory with his Custom Equinox and Me with my Fliskits Richter Recker
137.jpg
My PML Hydra on an H143
144.jpg
Full scale Patriot
150.jpg
Full scale Patriot ignition
151.jpg
Ignition of the E 12 in the Equinox

New personal Altitude best: 9570ft Havent got the full data from the RRC3 yet.
CTI 98mm 4 Grain M1790 Skidmark

Thunderstruck Lift Off M1790SK.jpg

:) Good One.

I saw his Black Five project listed - but his name wasn't on the registered list.

The guy that made the motor will be back soon.

I just saw it one the featured flights page....didn't look at who registered.

I just saw it one the featured flights page....didn't look at who registered.

I saw it listed as well, and wished Dave was back with Black Five/ver.2

When I didn't see him registered for the event, I figured someone was having fun with us all.......and making a joke.
Was funny - if that's what it was.
The Black Five CATO from the NY LDRS has gone down in LDRS history.

I saw it listed as well, and wished Dave was back with Black Five/ver.2

When I didn't see him registered for the event, I figured someone was having fun with us all.......and making a joke.
Was funny - if that's what it was.
The Black Five CATO from the NY LDRS has gone down in LDRS history.

[video=youtube;HpZK0l3IFpE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpZK0l3IFpE[/video]

Well, yes, it would have to be V2.0...or is that 3.0? I thought he mentioned he would rebuild it. But the mind is the 2nd thing to go (and I can't remember the first.).

Well, yes, it would have to be V2.0...or is that 3.0? I thought he mentioned he would rebuild it. But the mind is the 2nd thing to go (and I can't remember the first.).

:wink: I believe you are correct, there was a Black Five ver. 2 "Redemption" at LDRS 31 - which was partially successful (lost a fin on the way up) - not sure if this ver. 3 was real or not.
Maybe Dave Chance will weigh in...................

[video=youtube;6G1C0h25rCo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G1C0h25rCo&t=0s[/video]

Flutter victim there. What were the fins out of? I'm impressed with the three remaining fins had a safe flight anyways. Looks like a second fin was just about ready to give way. Is it rebuildable? Kurt

That symmetric clipped delta profile is classic flutter fodder!

Last edited:
Here are the photos I shot at this year's LDRS. If you have a flickr page that is mostly hobby related photos I'd love to follow you. The flckr page for the Petworth Traction Co. is mostly trolley and rocketry stuff with some model airplane photos for good measure. https://flic.kr/s/aHskT2z9bN Consider this post license to use any of these photos for any non commercial use.

What is the story on the Higgs square rocket?
I saw it in the prep area, it looked durable.

M

Tom Cohen's rocket. He has at least 2 more like that that are heavy rockets design for flights in the 1000-1500 ft range on M motors. Construction on that one was fiberglassed cardboard boxes. Total weight was ~240lbs on the pad.

Back