LDRS 36 - 2017 reports

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a choice not to fly my King Viper III. I experienced significant trouble with the electronic control of MDRA pads/electronics on Saturday (all day) and Sunday morning. As the LCO on Sunday said, "we have flakey switches." Hate to say it, but I believe Tripoli leadership should audit equipment of any club that puts their name in to host LDRS. Although the flight venue was great, the equipment was extremely suspect. I will think twice before attending another LDRS.

I'm sure none of the clubs you are associated with in the Midwest, has experienced weather related issues with their launch control electronics...:facepalm: If that is the case please share your fool-proof system secrets... We are all ears... On the other hand, sorry your experience was not as you expected...

Last edited:
Hey, don't be busting Tim's balls. He had several issues with the system saying his igniter was bad, only to have it fire fine back at the tent. I witnessed several issues with this event, both in the running of it, equipment and weather. I met some great old friends who are involved with MDRA, I hope it causes no hard feelings, but I probably won't be back to Price. I have no issues with LDRS as a whole.

Hey, don't be busting Tim's balls. He had several issues with the system saying his igniter was bad, only to have it fire fine back at the tent. I witnessed several issues with this event, both in the running of it, equipment and weather. I met some great old friends who are involved with MDRA, I hope it causes no hard feelings, but I probably won't be back to Price. I have no issues with LDRS as a whole.

Had to be a fluke with electrical problems. I was at their LDRS meeting. They tested all systems and made all new leads. Bob insisted on many extra leads. Problems can happen anytime. It was improper for an LCO to blanketly make that statement. What should happen was someone own the problem until it got fixed. They have a budget to keep it top notch.
I've flown there since 2002 and not had launch pad issues.

I just wanted to thank MDRA and, all the hard working people who keep the show running along so well even with the weather that we had...I was utterly amazed at the kindness, help and, politeness of everyone i dealt with. Listening to Neil up there rocking the turntables and, throwing lightning to the pads was well worth the price of admission! :D
Special thanks to Nate Lowrie, John Sigmon, Bill Cook, Eric Fadely and, Dave "FOXY SHAZAM" Fox for all their help in getting me used to new surroundings!
Thanks to Matt Fletcher and, his family for treating me like- Family. Matt and, i have been talking off to the side and, whether his rocket is found or not.
He is going to come back better prepared and, ready to move up to L-3 for sure!

Thank-you again everyone, i will see you at a Red Glare (most likely next year) but, i will be back! :eek:

Had to be a fluke with electrical problems. I was at their LDRS meeting. They tested all systems and made all new leads. Bob insisted on many extra leads. Problems can happen anytime. It was improper for an LCO to blanketly make that statement. What should happen was someone own the problem until it got fixed. They have a budget to keep it top notch.
I've flown there since 2002 and not had launch pad issues.

This above... I fully expect some, if not most of the issues had to do with water getting into the system, during the rain and wind conditions experienced on Thursday...

BTW, how you feeling??

This above... I fully expect some, if not most of the issues had to do with water getting into the system, during the rain and wind conditions experienced on Thursday...

BTW, how you feeling??

I went home midday yesterday with no mud on my shoes, or the smell of AP on my fingers and no carpenter's tan.
That's ok, my health is more important. Thank you for asking, it turned better than the doctor's expected so that is good.
I got a bunch of motors to give to the Rocket Gods when the time is right!

I was very happy with the launch. I don't think it's possible to launch that many rockets without a single technical glitch and that the system worked as well as it did following the weather they had speaks volumes about their preparation. An "audit" (and I've been through many reliability audits in my career) might not have revealed any problems. That's just the matter of theoretical problems versus real-life. I would fly again with MDRA in a heartbeat. When you have four days worth of pent up flights happening on the last two days, and much more heavily on the last day because of the wind, you're going to have some frustrated people.

Steve Shannon

Last edited:
I was very happy with the launch. I don't think it's possible to launch that many rockets without a single technical glitch and that the system worked as well as it did following the weather they had speaks volumes about their preparation. An "audit" (and I've been through many reliability audits in my career) might not have revealed any problems. That's just the neater of theoretical problems versus real-life. I would fly again with MDRA in a heartbeat. When you have four days worth of pent up flights happening on the last two days, and much more heavily on the last day because of the wind, you're going to have some frustrated people.

Steve Shannon
++1 Well said.

Didn't take any pictures but, WOW! What a flight. Great too see Eric and, Tom out there today.;)
Dixie? I was L:D:DKING for you...I have the two Parachutes you bought from Kevin with me.

Folks I'm also carrying a complete Blackhawk 98 that has no owner, so if anyone is interested- Contacting me or Lockreed (he had a post in the Yardsale) will make it yours. Don't make me buy it!
It's too sweet for me...:p

How much $ are you looking to get??
Thanks,

Well, did you sell it?? If you didn't, how much would you like to get for it??
Thanks,

I put up 11 flights at LDRS, all without any problems, and watched 100's of other flights do the same.
I would like to thank all the MDRA guys & gals for all their hard work and for putting on a great launch.
I hope you guys are wiling to do it again soon.

Well, did you sell it?? If you didn't, how much would you like to get for it??
Thanks,

Andrew- I did not see your post early enough...I was only holding it for Lockreed if someone purchased it. The rocket can be delivered to Midwest Blast, Michiana Rocketry on April 22-23, Bong State Park Wisconsin on May 21st or Mini-Midwest Power QCRS in Princeton Illinois on May 28th-
I am simply the man with the phone awaiting a call that it is sold and, the name to hand off to.

Andrew?

If you do buy it- I will personally drive it down to Cincinnati to deliver it to you.

Promise.

Tell your brother I said hello!;)

Andrew?

If you do buy it- I will personally drive it down to Cincinnati to deliver it to you.

Promise.

Cinci? Brother? Patrick's brother? If so, hi Patrick's brother! I have a motor for Patrick btw....

Quick photo dump coming up here shortly!

-Eric-

Cinci? Brother? Patrick's brother? If so, hi Patrick's brother! I have a motor for Patrick btw....

Quick photo dump coming up here shortly!

-Eric-

Yeah, I'm Patrick's youngest brother, Andrew. What motor do you have for Patrick???
Thanks,

Andrew?

Promise.

OK, I contacted lockcreed asking how much $$ he wants. You wouldn't have to drive to Cincinnati, we could just meet at a Tripoli Mid-Ohio launch? Well, anyway I will tell Patrick you said hi.
Thanks,

Hey y'all; here's a quick report from our visit to LDRS 36. Like many others, I've wanted to visit the MDRA gang at Higgs for several years now! I had to work in North Carolina the week leading up to LDRS, so that put me within reach of the event much to my excitement! Alas, I had to work on Thursday and had commitments on Sunday, so it made for a condensed visit to LDRS, but a great time nonetheless! I would like to thank MDRA and all those involved in LDRS 36 for letting us come to play in your territory; it was a great time, and THANK YOU so very much for your efforts!!!:clap:

Since I flew out to NC for work, my dad Tom (and rocketry partner in crime) drove all my crap out to LDRS. Thanks old man!!! He arrived mid-day Thursday (wet), and my boss and I arrived late Thursday (wet). Relaxed outside the BW+ with a few beers and some good friends, and crashed for a few hours.

Friday

Less wet, but still overcast, windy, with a little bit of cloud dribble here and there. Arrive at the field early, decide that the weather puts us in a holding pattern for a short while, so we head off to nearby Two Chicks Cafe for some brunch. Yum; and the ultra-oldschool juke box was neat. 25 Cents for 5 plays...Loretta Lynn, Hank Williams, and so on. Nice! Back to the field and unload the Traverse.

20170407_104950_zps7bt00gy4.jpg

We prep some Loc Top Guns with Aerotech K1103X's. Charge up the Jolly Logic Chute releases and decide to burn some AP. Put the 30 year old rockets on the pad for the drag race.

DSC_0004_zpsnkck8lt6.jpg

Tom's Top Gun leapt off the pad first, getting the victory and more altitude than mine.

DSC_0015_zpsdzmyefn4.jpg

But mine touched down first and closer to the pads.:wink: The Jolly Logics performed great in the windy conditions (on 70" and 78" chutes nonetheless). Very thankful to have used them on uber-windy Friday!

DSC_0017_zpswzcfyxtu.jpg

First time recovering at MDRA. This time of year, a tracker definitely comes in handy....these big birds were mostly consumed by the grasses.

20170407_134410%202_zpsw8hohjoo.jpg

The single drag race was enough for one day, especially with the conditions. That said, we were very pleased to have launched something and recovered without incident considering the conditions. Thanks LDRS staff for keeping things running despite weather nastiness!

Saturday

Back out at the field early, my boss (Erik) had to fly out mid-day, so we wanted to be on the pad early. And we were. Shortly after the flyers meeting, we were on the first rack of LDRS36-Saturday. I believe this Loc Expediter was the first flight of the day...first HP flight of the day for sure. Nice yellow/black scheme, sun in the face of the camera washed out the colors a bit.

DSC_0026_zpsshyqvymm.jpg

Two new Loc kits were being put to the test: a 5.5" IQSY Tomahawk and a 7.5" Patriot Missile. Loc 3.0 Jay (L) and Dave (R) stand with the big birds.

DSC_0019_zpsabo4sdxh.jpg

Tom's Tomahawk went first. A Gorilla K980 Black Lightning was the motor of choice. Spewing sparks and smoke all over the place, it flew in line with the sun presenting some funky photos:

DSC_0028_zpsv7lbzpyf.jpg

DSC_0030_zps1hatcqp0.jpg

DSC_0031_zpsxjtmfa9z.jpg

After a nice flight to 3600'-ish, it landed up a creek!

20170408_102448_zpsobvvb3bz.jpg

Next up was the big Patriot. Though large, this thing is pretty light. A baby M pushed her to over 8k'. Loc 7.5" Patriot and Sconnie 6000-M1550 White.

DSC_0032_zpsqrvx63ui.jpg

DSC_0033_zpsfvyzz1oc.jpg

Recovered successfully out in the field and was dragged for some time. Eventually we caught up to it and rescued the para-sail without issue.

Back on the range, we visit the Scarpine pits. Good to see you Jim!

DSC_0035_zps1jhazlqf.jpg

Just down the way, we have the Cohen Quarters.....that big Higgs square rocket is just too cool!

DSC_0036_zpsavjn7d4t.jpg

I believe this to be the Professor, Terry McCreary's Patriot on an AT J825R.

DSC_0038_zpscqa6amvk.jpg

Pretty soon I'm going to hit the max number of photos per post...so this ends part I. Part II coming asap!

A nice looking Loc Magnum! Happens to be one of my all time favorite HP rockets. Done up in a patriotic scheme...nice!

DSC_0039_zpsnki9mjfh.jpg

A unique looking rocket on a red motor. Cool!

DSC_0042_zpstlh8rame.jpg

A long EZI on a hybrid looking motor. I don't recall this being a hybrid, nor do I see ground support equipment, but the flame sure looks like it.

DSC_0043_zpsypwvmnux.jpg

A Katan Kreation on a cluster o' motors.

DSC_0048_zpsvdj4wegv.jpg

After staging the fin sustainer thingies:

DSC_0049_zpsnmpr9qqg.jpg

A school rocket on some White Thunder. Madcow Frenzy XL on a L2375 IIRC:

DSC_0051_zpsialolry5.jpg

RW Terminator on Aerotech Dark Matter. Bill Davidson and a L-something Dark Matter I believe:

DSC_0054_zpsvtdxpmgl.jpg

DSC_0055_zps6hdtwg5x.jpg

Burl's big tree-seeking Patriot on a blue M:

DSC_0058_zpsg6jjsjnu.jpg

DSC_0060_zpsxdjcqiqv.jpg

Under chute flirting with the trees:

DSC_0074_zpskazcgdrv.jpg

Gary Kawabata's sweet 6" Ultimate Drago Cherry Bomb on a Mojave Green M. Check out the mega flyaway railguides from Mayhem! And watch for a drag race of these in the Midwest this fall!

DSC_0063_zpspzj81aoz.jpg

DSC_0064_zpsdhwylt7i.jpg

I really like split bank arrangements at the bigger launches. MDRA didn't do that, but the launch(es) kept along at a pretty good clip. It was fun to watch the big rush once Neil gave the all clear to load the racks! Charge!!!!:horse:

DSC_0071_zps4ukykgoh.jpg

Fred Taverni flew a 2 stager on Saturday....cause that's what Fred does. Only two stages this time; understandably so as the winds were still very present on Saturday:

DSC_0081_zpsll7jcogf.jpg

DSC_0082_zpsiudkebmd.jpg

RW Formula's were popular at the away cell on Saturday. Here one consumes some strontium. Nice!

DSC_0084_zpsuzovomq2.jpg

DSC_0086_zpsmjboq0j9.jpg

Since she arced into the wind nicely, it also recovered nearby, floating gently down nearby under a big ol' Rocketman chute. Well done!

DSC_0090_zpswulfyurp.jpg

Part III coming up next.

What appears to be a mucho-extended Jart takes flight on White Lightning. Sweet!

DSC_0091_zps3vwthea3.jpg

Moving backwards a bit, it took a while to recover the rockets in the morning. Shortly before noon, it was go/no-go decision time for final prep of my Esoteric. Winds were still increasing, available time for our team was decreasing, and thus the decision was made to save the flight for another day. Though all five motors were fairly punchy motors, the two sets of airstarts were after brief powerless coasts. Unpowered coasts + windy day + overstable rocket = weathercocking = higher speed deployment. She turned out too nice to risk it. Nevertheless, we threw it together for static display. If we were able to be onsite on Sunday, we would've put it up. Next time!

20170408_125635_zps59tmistb.jpg

Speaking of sweet rides, Wildwoman's new ride. Traded the ZL1 for a Hellcat.

20170408_133004_zpswgq4syul.jpg

Upscale Venus Probe from the far pads. Something like an Aerotech L2500T.

DSC_0097_zpsj4tb0qdh.jpg

Gizmo drag race! White Lightning vs. Blue Thunder. Blue tends to light first, but the smoke and flame of WL sure is purdy!

DSC_0101_zps6wobf0pt.jpg

Meaner Machine! If you look closely, she's bending a bit to the right. Survived the duration of the flight without folding in half...nice!

DSC_0104_zpszszpkkpp.jpg

Rocket guru Steve Eves took a Performance Rocketry Concept 98 (I think) to the races with a red motor. Flew nice and straight.....

DSC_0109_zps96tftr5i.jpg

...until those fins discovered that darn wind:

DSC_0110_zpsuiwgojgt.jpg

Did I mention I like Magnums? :cool: I like Magnums. Here's one on another propellant flame I don't recognize. What is this stuff?

DSC_0112_zpsjwdoniyg.jpg

DSC_0113_zpsrjavnl7a.jpg

Check it out, a Loc Magnum. CTI L730. Not the biggest flame ever, but it sure did push that Magnum way the heck up there!!!

DSC_0115_zpsgfb5e3xb.jpg

Mr. LDRS Chris Pearson flew this blue creation on a rocket motor. Sure looked and sounded like Kosdon Fast. If it was, cool! If it wasn't, good clone Chris! I liked it regardless!!!!

DSC_0119_zpsydzmnytz.jpg

DSC_0120_zps2z8wvjs9.jpg

A naked gl ass rocket on a pink motor...oh the humanity!:shock:

DSC_0123_zpsgofxgv2w.jpg

Really Big Daddy on a Derek Deville O7500. I'm thinking that average thrust designation was a bit optimistic, as she crept off the pad s-l-ooooo-w-l-y and burned for a minute or two.:p Cool rocket, cool motor, cool flight. Well done, team!

DSC_0129_zpsw5do56qi.jpg

DSC_0134_zpsutvdv8h8.jpg

DSC_0140_zpsft4nwofp.jpg

We had to pack up and head out after that....drove overnight to make it home for a gathering Sunday morning. Still a bit sleepy, but thankful for the experience and all the efforts surrounding LDRS 36. A sincere thank you to the entire MDRA crew that pulled it off; great job guys and gals! Thank you, and see you on the range!

-Eric-

Last edited:
What appears to be a mucho-extended Jart takes flight on White Lightning. Sweet!

DSC_0091_zps3vwthea3.jpg

Moving backwards a bit, it took a while to recover the rockets in the morning. Shortly before noon, it was go/no-go decision time for final prep of my Esoteric. Winds were still increasing, available time for our team was decreasing, and thus the decision was made to save the flight for another day. Though all five motors were fairly punchy motors, the two sets of airstarts were after brief powerless coasts. Unpowered coasts + windy day + overstable rocket = weathercocking = higher speed deployment. She turned out too nice to risk it. Nevertheless, we threw it together for static display. If we were able to be onsite on Sunday, we would've put it up. Next time!

20170408_125635_zps59tmistb.jpg

Speaking of sweet rides, Wildwoman's new ride. Traded the ZL1 for a Hellcat.

20170408_133004_zpswgq4syul.jpg

Upscale Venus Probe from the far pads. Something like an Aerotech L2500T.

DSC_0097_zpsj4tb0qdh.jpg

Gizmo drag race! White Lightning vs. Blue Thunder. Blue tends to light first, but the smoke and flame of WL sure is purdy!

DSC_0101_zps6wobf0pt.jpg

Meaner Machine! If you look closely, she's bending a bit to the right. Survived the duration of the flight without folding in half...nice!

DSC_0104_zpszszpkkpp.jpg

Rocket guru Steve Eves took a Performance Rocketry Concept 98 (I think) to the races with a red motor. Flew nice and straight.....

DSC_0109_zps96tftr5i.jpg

...until those fins discovered that darn wind:

DSC_0110_zpsuiwgojgt.jpg

Did I mention I like Magnums? :cool: I like Magnums. Here's one on another propellant flame I don't recognize. What is this stuff?

DSC_0112_zpsjwdoniyg.jpg

DSC_0113_zpsrjavnl7a.jpg

Check it out, a Loc Magnum. CTI L730. Not the biggest flame ever, but it sure did push that Magnum way the heck up there!!!

DSC_0115_zpsgfb5e3xb.jpg

Mr. LDRS Chris Pearson flew this blue creation on a rocket motor. Sure looked and sounded like Kosdon Fast. If it was, cool! If it wasn't, good clone Chris! I liked it regardless!!!!

DSC_0119_zpsydzmnytz.jpg

DSC_0120_zps2z8wvjs9.jpg

A naked gl ass rocket on a pink motor...oh the humanity!:shock:

DSC_0123_zpsgofxgv2w.jpg

Really Big Daddy on a Derek Deville O7500. I'm thinking that average thrust designation was a bit optimistic, as she crept off the pad s-l-ooooo-w-l-y and burned for a minute or two.:p Cool rocket, cool motor, cool flight. Well done, team!

DSC_0129_zpsw5do56qi.jpg

DSC_0134_zpsutvdv8h8.jpg

DSC_0140_zpsft4nwofp.jpg

We had to pack up and head out after that....drove overnight to make it home for a gathering Sunday morning. Still a bit sleepy, but thankful for the experience and all the efforts surrounding LDRS 36. A sincere thank you to the entire MDRA crew that pulled it off; great job guys and gals! Thank you, and see you on the range!

-Eric-

Great pictures!! Really wish I could of made it, but there's always next time! :rolleyes:
Thanks,

Nice pictures. I seen the Top Gun drag race - very cool. Tried finding them in the parking lot afterwards (Saturday and Sunday), but no luck. Did they get taken home Friday?

Wow...Wildman is making bank...didnt think there was that much money in rocketry.

Thanks for sharing all those photos! Those are really nice.

Last edited:
This was my first LDRS and I had a great time....I'd like to say thanks to all of the folks who made it happen. I could only make it out on Sunday and I only had one flight, but, I set a new personal record on it when my MAC Performance Rayzor got to 8276 feet on a K513. I used my home-built tracker to recover it from the tall grass, so, it was a good flight and a good test of the tracker. Here are some pictures from Sunday...

rayzor.jpg
Here's my Rayzor just after launch.

cato.jpgIMG_1991.jpgIMG_1993.jpg
Here's Mike's 2/3 scale Patriot as it experienced a massive CATO.....it was exciting and one of the most talked-about flights, but, I was also sad to see it lost.

IMG_2011.jpgIMG_20170409_141631573_web.jpg
Here's Jeff's GrapeShot just leaving the launch pad (on it's 47th? flight), then, the tree it landed in. Jeff successfully recovered it, so, hopefully it will make it to 50 launches.

IMG_2021.jpg
Here's a giant Black Brant launching on a great flight.

IMG_2024.jpgIMG_2027.jpgIMG_2028.jpg
Here's a massive tube rocket that didn't go that high, but, still had a nice flight.

This was my first LDRS and I had a great time....I'd like to say thanks to all of the folks who made it happen. I could only make it out on Sunday and I only had one flight, but, I set a new personal record on it when my MAC Performance Rayzor got to 8276 feet on a K513. I used my home-built tracker to recover it from the tall grass, so, it was a good flight and a good test of the tracker. Here are some pictures from Sunday...

View attachment 317150
Here's my Rayzor just after launch.

View attachment 317151View attachment 317152View attachment 317153
Here's Mike's 2/3 scale Patriot as it experienced a massive CATO.....it was exciting and one of the most talked-about flights, but, I was also sad to see it lost.

View attachment 317154View attachment 317155
Here's Jeff's GrapeShot just leaving the launch pad (on it's 47th? flight), then, the tree it landed in. Jeff successfully recovered it, so, hopefully it will make it to 50 launches.

View attachment 317156
Here's a giant Black Brant launching on a great flight.

View attachment 317157View attachment 317158View attachment 317159
Here's a massive tube rocket that didn't go that high, but, still had a nice flight.

Congrats on the high flight Ken. Sorry we didn't get to talk more Sunday. It was a right day for us. Nice pictures! And nice chute you built as well.

I want to thank MDRA and everyone behind the scenes that made this launch the best it was.
This was one great weekend for me with some old friends and new found friends.
I'll be back to fly again.

Back