LDRS 36 - 2017 reports

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom Cohen's rocket. He has at least 2 more like that that are heavy rockets design for flights in the 1000-1500 ft range on M motors. Construction on that one was fiberglassed cardboard boxes. Total weight was ~240lbs on the pad.

Flies several times a year at MDRA. Tom was so busy carting rockets out to the away cells that he didn't get much time to launch his own stuff.

From what I understand the Square rocket (Square One as it's called) is flown only a couple times a year on N power. The rest of his rocket fly very regularly on M3700s

Ok, here's some pics from the prep and flight of my "Big Bird" with "Kate" on board Sunday morning. Thanks Vern!

0409170911.jpg
Checking the fit of the dowel and length needed for the ematch. I used two pieces of BP pellets for a Black Powder rifle and an ematch as the igniter.

0409170928.jpg
Loaded up and ready for the trip to the away cell.

0409170939.jpg
The have to have pic #1

0409170939b.jpg
The have to have pic #2

14035.jpg
The up worked very well. Kate reported at 2000, 4000, 5000 and apogee.
Kate reported 5265ft for apogee, but the accelerometer reported just over 5400 which is much more consistent with altitudes I've gotten from previous flight with this motor.

14037.jpg
I was very happy with the deployment of the pilot and main chutes. The d-bag worked very well and even though you could see the line connecting the d-bag to the apex of the main was pulling the pilot and nose cone down, there was still a z-folded wrap of about 8 wraps that never broke the tape. That tells me the 150 lb Dacron line should hold up very well keeping the nose cone with the main.

0409171021.jpg
All laid out about 900 ft from the pad. Got a ride back from the landing site also. Nothing like door to door service!

The following files are the ones supplied by "Kate".

View attachment JeffBoldig_BigBird_M1725_LDRS2017_HiggsFarm_170409_T-Analysis.pdf
The analysis file in pdf.

Google Earth screen shot.PNG
Screen capture of the Google Earth

View attachment JeffBoldig_BigBird_M1725_LDRS2017_HiggsFarm_170409_R-GoogleEarth.kml
The Google Earth file

The mp3 audio file of the flight wouldn't upload, not as a mp3 or when zipped. If anyone has way to upload those, I'll give it a try.

Great shots...
All of the people shots are so important to telling the story of the launch..
Thank you for going to the trouble of posting them...

Teddy

Loaded up and ready for the trip to the

Handeman, does anyone outside of rocketry ever get your shirt? lol funny

Outside of rocketry, no. They don't get it at all. The rocketry people, they don't need the text underneath! But it' is fun and get comments so it's all good.
Funny enough, I have an unstable CP/CG relationship decal on the back of my phone and I've never gotten a single comment off of it. It makes me sad. ;)

I have an unstable CP/CG shirt from Fliskits. One morning, on the way to a launch, I stopped to get gas and had a National Guardsman point to my shirt and as me if I was "feeling off today." It's the only time a non-rocketry has made a comment.

I've warn my CG/CP shirt a few times at work. I always then gat called a 'crash test dummy'.. I've given up trying to explain it..

Back