Estes 2111 Mercury Atlas build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not trying to replicate a particular one.

I started with the Merc Atlas to complement my Merc Redstone.
And then though that a Gemini Titan would fit in nice.
And then realized I wasn't going to manage 1/35 Saturns, so I started over at 1/100.
At some point, I noticed the resemblance to the KSC space garden.

I'm not trying to replicate a particular one.

I started with the Merc Atlas to complement my Merc Redstone.
And then though that a Gemini Titan would fit in nice.
And then realized I wasn't going to manage 1/35 Saturns, so I started over at 1/100.
At some point, I noticed the resemblance to the KSC space garden.

I think 1/35th scale Saturns would be great!

So I happened upon this thread and it inspired me to go dig through my stash. I had one of these kits at one time and though I remember starting it, I never finished it. I've rearranged and relocated the stash a few times and didn't remember seeing it so I thought perhaps it had gotten lost or trashed in a move and had written it off. I happened to look in a "Model Rocket Range Kit" box that I'd been overlooking thinking it was just a launchpad and controller, and to my surprise, it was my Mercury Atlas kit! Looks to be pretty much totally intact so I suppose I'll need to move it up in my build queue. :)

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1498423153.494942.jpg

Both the 1:100 scale flew today at Bong. Both were unstable. Gus went for a swim in the pond, but was rescued quickly and is fine. John broke of the fins on one side, and I'm rethinking Wally at 1/35th scale. I decided it was too windy to fly the big Atlas.

(I did get my L1 cert flight in, though).

It's a really nice set up. Each rod is in an easy-tightening chuck, on an alt/az mount, on a male compressed air fitting. Each spot on the rack has the female quick disconnect. Each rod has a piece of (SS??) tubing on it that extends above the blast shield and has a little washer on top - built in stand off. I haven't checked/asked how much launch rod is lost - what effective length remains.

It's a nice system to use.

If that was a D12, it did pretty well. I would say that you did very well! I think that there have been many flights of this model with a D12 that have not gotten high enough for the parachute to open in time. Your model is probably nice and light. Again, congratulations to you! I would recommend a composite 24 mm motor.

It did fly pretty well. And I haven't weighed it yet, but I don't build too heavy (mostly).

Just something about the way it flew in next to no wind suggests that it's not got a ton of margin.

I have some AT 24/40 cases and reloads, so I'm good on composites, and I concur.

The 1/100 scale Cg is in about the same place, and it skywrote. But in high wind, like 15-17mph. Maybe it's heavier, and not coming up to launch speed off the rod? Time for some simming and backyard test flights.

SEVRA just got donated one! No box but everything appears to be there.

Back