Estes 2111 Mercury Atlas build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The diameter of the Estes Atlas tube should be 120/35 = 3.429" , which looks to be an odd ball size. As I recall Balsa Machining Services does not have it.

BTW the Gemin-Titan next to the Atlas Mercury in the same scale looks really cool!

I'm building my own 'Rocket Garden' in both 1/100 and 1/35.

The Saturn 1B will be doable at 1/100. But 1/35???

I've seen the MA tube listed as T344 and T342. My homemade tube is a bit thickwalled. But it'll do.

Sanded the Atlas today. Now to wait for more paint clement weather.

Worked on the Gemini, too.

After much hand wringing, I jumped in, using the 1/48 paper model (scaled) as a guide to cut the window coves.

By eyeball, the biggest borer I had (0.6") looked pretty good. Lined up with the paper great.

I cut out the back face with an exacto. Carefully.

Charles, what kind of boring tool is that? Looks like it might have many types of uses in modeling.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1493727590.472054.jpg

Cork / stopper borers. Common in labs to cut holes in stoppers to run tubing through. They come in nested sets. Usually brass, with/without nickel plating. They have a knife edge at the bottom.

They cut through the balsa end grain like butter. I don't know how they would fair cross grain. It was just the tool for this job, though.

They also cut basswood nicely.

Here's the 1/100 scale. Sized for BT-52H / 29mm motor mount. Also turned by the Sandman.

View attachment 319058

Cork / stopper borers. Common in labs to cut holes in stoppers to run tubing through. They come in nested sets. Usually brass, with/without nickel plating. They have a knife edge at the bottom.

They cut through the balsa end grain like butter. I don't know how they would fair cross grain. It was just the tool for this job, though.

I've seen guys cut conduit holes through stacked wing ribs with no problem. I imagine patience is the key.

Finally! Some progress. Had some painting challenges - some small patches of crazing.

Had a little field trip, in the meantime.

Judging by your location I would guess that is the Yerkes Observatory. It looks different than the old photographs I've seen. I lived in the Chicago area, but never got there. I'm hoping I will get back some day.

Looking at your last Atlas photo I think I see a motor retainer. Are you going to use the bell nozzle shroud that comes with the kit?

Last edited:
Yes, that's the big scope at Yerkes.

I actually did use half of the provided bell. I cut it at the point it steps out - it's not a smooth curve like the outboard ones - and the threads of the retainer are nested inside it.

I'm thinking of filing the knurls off the retainer, so it looks more like the original bell.

We are silvered.

What I learned: the squareness of the strips - how well the ends line up when they meet up 360 degrees later - drifts over the course of all little segments between the equipment pods. I squared it all up again by letting the gap be a little bigger than perfect. I wound up at the top with less than a mm hanging over.
I do have a couple little wedge-like areas that won't stay stuck down. I'm thinking of wetting a toothpick with CA and making them stay down. I'll have to test it on the left over border scrap, first.

I'm not going to paint the fins before flight. So here she is, with everything except chutes.

I went for Wally Schirra's Sigma 7 flight - I like the logo.

What I don't like are these decals. The capsule decals slid off the backer and laid down fine. But won't stay down. The Sigma 7 was brushed off and broke right after this picture. I'll have to reprint it. The booster decals ar the thickest, toughest I've ever seen. They wouldn't slide off - I had to peel them. The clear is a bit milky right now, but it looks like it might dry out okay. The decals have been the worst part of this build.

I'm assuming you mean on the Gemini side project. I made some progress with the adapter skirt details. It's also now foam filled - nice and sturdy. I reprinted the skirt details on adhesive paper and overload the cardstock. The CA I used messed up the edges.

I back filled the window coves with an epoxy wood putty. I had cut them square and they are supposed to be sloped.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1495328814.454979.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1495328830.316970.jpg

Working on a 1/100 version, while waiting for good flying conditions.

Ooooohhhh! that sounds like fun! I didn't know e-rockets had that cone...I built a 1/100 MercRedstone to sit with my 1/100 Saturn 1B and Saturn V and turned the cone myself...now I may have to add the MercAtlas to the collection :)

DSC_4386.jpg

DSC_4375.jpg

DSC_4384.jpg

Back