Looking for X-15 Scale Data

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Incongruent

Reaction score
I'm searching for detailed plans (or sources where plans may be found) of the X-15.
I know now that there is contradicting data, but I want to base my build off of something.

Thanks!

Thank you thank you thank you thanks thanks thanks!

What's on sheet 2?

I don't know, as I don't have it. Maybe a fore and aft view.

Let me know if you find it!

Greg

Well, the rocket gods were merciful this time: the nose cone and a tube from the Estes Scion is nearly the perfect length for an X-15! A slight bit more, but better too much than too little!

The nose cone is an approximately 3:1 ogive.

I don't know, as I don't have it. Maybe a fore and aft view.

Let me know if you find it!

Greg

Did you write to the National Air and Space Museum for the document or was it on the internet?

I was thinking fore and aft as well.

It was something I found on an extensive X-15 search a few years back. I have no idea where it came from.

Sometimes websites popup with good data, then disappear after a while.

Greg

This might prove useful as well. You can look through if you want; it'll take me a while to sift through. Also the search in the link is too broad.

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/?N=0&Ntk=All&...m=123|Collection|NASA STI||17|Collection|NACA

Search Results
Current Search Criteria
Search: [All]X-15 'AND'
Collection: ( NASA STI 'OR'
NACA )
Remove All
Records
Concept Cloud
Matching Records: 6,987

Yeah, might need to narrow that search a bit! I've done a lot of searching and have not been able to find anything similar to Greg's post. Pretty unusual to not find anything related at all. Maybe I'm doing it wrong - I searched on the info in the corner in a variety of combos, even did a search for similar images. Nada! I was hoping to find a higher res version.

Tony

Search Results
Current Search Criteria
Search: [All]X-15 'AND'
Collection: ( NASA STI 'OR'
NACA )
Remove All
Records
Concept Cloud
Matching Records: 6,987

Yeah, might need to narrow that search a bit! I've done a lot of searching and have not been able to find anything similar to Greg's post. Pretty unusual to not find anything related at all. Maybe I'm doing it wrong - I searched on the info in the corner in a variety of combos, even did a search for similar images. Nada! I was hoping to find a higher res version.

Tony

I had a similar experience searching for data on the MIM-104 Patriot. There isn't a lot out there. On the other end of the spectrum is the Saturn V, where you can find lots of dimensional data.

Greg

There are some Dryden history books listed here, may be some drawings in there. I read a book a few months ago called "At the Edge of Space: The X-15 Flight Program"...I believe there were some general overall dimension drawings in there as well

There are some Dryden history books listed here, may be some drawings in there. I read a book a few months ago called "At the Edge of Space: The X-15 Flight Program"...I believe there were some general overall dimension drawings in there as well

Thanks for reminding me — one of my club members has an X-15 book. I think it's the edge of space one.

Hi Inc...

If you don't mind spending a few bucks there are a few books that have the data you are looking for and more. I am an avowed X-15 geek and have amassed quite a collection of books and reference material. There are three in particular that I would recommend, particularly if you have any interest in the X-15 program beyond your model.

They are (With links to the book on Alibris.com. A great used book site. Check the prices!):

Hypersonic by Dennis R. Jenkins and Tony R. Landis https://www.alibris.com/Hypersonic-...n-X-15-Dennis-Jenkins/book/7549613?matches=29

This one is phenomenal. The complete program from initial proposals from various companies to the proposed follow-ons. Hundreds of photos, dozens of drawings, many dimensioned. You could build your model from the info in this book alone. It also has records of every flight, pilots, carrier aircraft, mishaps, etc, etc, etc. Enough info to keep the rivet-counters happy for weeks. A big, beautiful book. For what they are asking on Alibris ($10 or so) just order it. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

X-15 Photo Scrapbook by Jenkins and Landis https://www.alibris.com/booksearch?keyword=x-15+photo+scrapbook&mtype=B&hs.x=0&hs.y=0&hs=Submit

All of the photos and drawings that they didn't have room for in Hypersonic. This one must be scarce, judging by the prices. Nice to have, but you will find what you need in Hypersonic.

X-15 - The NASA Mission Reports Compiled by Apogee Books https://www.alibris.com/booksearch?...ssion+reports&mtype=B&hs.x=0&hs.y=0&hs=Submit

This one is also a must-have if you are at all interested in the real airplane. It is what it says; the actual NASA reports. Everything from initial design ideas from the four companies who submitted proposals, flight reports, technical reports on various aspects of airplane performance and, perhaps best of all, the actual X-15 pilots manual! Lots of drawings (again, many dimensioned), of course and good photos. Surprisingly little overlap with Hypersonic. Again, for the price just order it!

Sorry to go on so, but you came straight down my street! Hope you find it helpful. Keep us posted and don't forget the pics...

Best

Mike

Back