when will we hear where LDRS 2018 will be held??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColumbiaNX01

Red blooded white American male
Reaction score
With LDRS 2017 being in Maryland this year. Will we find out where LDRS 2018 will be next year during the banquet?

andrew

(Whining voice) it was there laasst year.

M

Black rock is the only place in the USA with a waiver like that. If I drive 1700 miles I want to see some high high stuff that I cannot see in argonia. I dont want to go to black rock in june, muddy. but july would be great. Have to wait and see.

Black rock is the only place in the USA with a waiver like that. If I drive 1700 miles I want to see some high high stuff that I cannot see in argonia. I dont want to go to black rock in june, muddy. but july would be great. Have to wait and see.

This is why the Kloudbusters doesn't bid on LDRS. We don't want to disappoint you ColumbiaNX01!

There's no shortage of launches at Black Rock. No need to limit yourself to if or when LDRS is held there.

There's no shortage of launches at Black Rock. No need to limit yourself to if or when LDRS is held there.

Right. The way my vacation days work july is it for a long trip. Yea, I have looked and there are a some. Fingers crossed lol.

This is why the Kloudbusters doesn't bid on LDRS. We don't want to disappoint you ColumbiaNX01!

Its all good. Airfest is great. Myself and other rocket guys in our club want to make the trek to black rock. Just trying to coordinate all the dates. It will be our TREK to the stars.

Its all good. Airfest is great. Myself and other rocket guys in our club want to make the trek to black rock. Just trying to coordinate all the dates. It will be our TREK to the stars.
I want to try taking a tube-fin over mach2. Gonna' need some room :)

Btw, it was a great day in Argonia. Beautiful weather and some great flights. Where were you?

it will be at bong again, right? say it's at bong! :)

No location announced.
Since LDRS is early this year the BoD is still reviewing bids and will make an announcement "art a later date."

M

Seems to be the trend for most major national launches recently. No one bidding, followed by scramble to get it hosted.

I believe it's quite a job to pull off. I suspect most prefecture's flying sites would not be able to accommodate a large influx of fliers. Our group held a modest launch one time in conjunction with the local NAR group. We didn't have a problem with the
primary landowner at all. He used to fly HPR himself so was comfortable with us and had his large Patriot rocket mounted on a wall of a restaurant he owned. The problem was the neighbors grumbled royally about people walking on their unplanted fields. Hence, that was the last time that was done. Small groups are fine but anything large ticks off the surrounding people so we pretty much keep to ourselves although we announce our launches and outside fliers are welcomed. Kurt

Seems to be the trend for most major national launches recently. No one bidding, followed by scramble to get it hosted.

It's a ton of work, and a massive impact on the launch area. Most clubs have their fields on a song and a prayer. Putting 300 people on site for a week, dropping that many rockets on neighbors, plus the traffic impact. No one wants to talk about it publicly. But there are reasons it's hard to find hosts.

Field, waiver and gear are one thing, and easy enough to cover. In my opinion however, the risk to your field, and the amount of time and energy you're going to have to put into it, is not worth the modest finincal gain.

How is to fix that? More people helping from outside, TRA having a traveling set of gear would open up some options, people being more respectful of the field and neighbors (most are, but it only takes one to cause an issue, and with 300 fliers you're going to have more than one)

the biggest thing in my opinion? Stop treating it like a shooting gallery. Come and fly your best stuff. Popping off record numbers of flights in a rolling non stop fashion both increases risks and problems, causes more strain on the schedule, and you wind up with a bunch of launches going so fast you can't even track who's doing what or how it turned out. Less flights would make a better event.

Im in the minority, and I know it with these opinions. But ummm... so who wants to host?

It's a ton of work...<snip for brevity>...Im in the minority, and I know it with these opinions. But ummm... so who wants to host?

To build on what Dave said.

To me the one thing that makes folks not want to do LDRS (or any large event) is the simple bad behavior of the attendees. I know you gave up your vacation time to attend. Cool, The event organizers probably gave up twice as much and most likely will not get to fly. So, if things are going awry, politely bring it to their attention (and don't feel obligated to if you can see they are working on it). Keep in mind that the people running the event are not professional event organizers. They are hobbyists just like you.

Second - If you are organizing an event, leave your club politics at home. Yes you may not get along with everyone, and if you can't be an adult about it, stay the hell away. It's rough enough on everyone so petty crap does not help.

And I somewhat agree with Dave, quantity should not drive the ops. I make the reservation here that everyone who paid, should have the opportunity to fly. To that end, what I would put an end to the vendor driven flea circuses that monopolize pads, and slow down range ops while it is being set up. Do those at a launch where there are not large numbers of people waiting for pad time.

If you want to organize the event make sure your gear is up to it - if not, stay the heck away from this type of thing. Nothing is more maddening than trying to debug your coffee-can, shoestring, and duct tape launch system while a bunch of people are waiting to fly.

Pulling a big event off is a thrill and I've had key parts in doing them eight times. I'd do it again though I think that I would really want to drive guidelines toward streamlining the event.

I'm sure the MDRA BoD will be taking another week off of work just to rest. They worked non-stop for five long days. Thanks, guys!

LDRS37 announcement will probably be in June.

Pulling a big event off is a thrill and I've had key parts in doing them eight times. I'd do it again though I think that I would really want to drive guidelines toward streamlining the event.

In my personal opinion, two things could solve much pain- a traveling wireless system to run the launch. It's easy to borrow pads, but you can just have your neighboring clubs bring their launch system and hobble the two together. I think taking that cost away from the host would open up a lot more sites, and avoid the coffee can and string issue.

The sexond would be more contraversial- limiting the number of flights per flier, and a strict limit of only high flights during call-in windows. This would lower the amount of back ups at the pads, make for more meaningful flights, and the ability to watch more flights and see the result. It would also reduce the number of rockets landing on neighbors.

Back