29mm MD rocket "The Minute Man" (Build Thread)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you know it's going to fly minimum diameter and high velocity? Haven't you heard the terms: "You can always adapt down" and "confetti doesn't fly fast"? (Okay, I made the second one up.)

And rockets, I have picked up a lot of shoddy advice over the years... well, months. Anyways, you can ask me so you have a scapegoat when things fail. Just no lawsuits please!

Well, he said it was minimum diameter 29mm and flying an H, so that kinda adds up to attempting to fly fast. If I may say so, I've seen a lot more good and supportive advice on this forum than the other kind. If anything, they trend toward the codependent.

To the OP, a 38mm rocket with a 29mm motor mount will let you practice many of these skills in a slightly less difficult way. It looks like you need some work on building skills before trying to break Mach.

Well, he said it was minimum diameter 29mm and flying an H, so that kinda adds up to attempting to fly fast. If I may say so, I've seen a lot more good and supportive advice on this forum than the other kind. If anything, they trend toward the codependent.

My point is that since they fly with a club, if it flys at all with the current fins it'll be with a smaller motor.

Oh, boy I think I'm going to need some HELP!
View attachment 316305View attachment 316306
The first two fins were good, but the last fin didn't go over too well. I redid the simulation on RockSim with the canted fin. It still was stable. But, I want a second opinion. What are your guys ideas??
Thanks,
Snap it off. Then get a fin guide from the internet (payloadbay.com) and use it to make proper fins. EDIT; nvm, just saw your other post.

Ok, honestly, i think you are going to have to start over on this build. Buy a new tube and instead of plywood, get a 1/16" fiberglass sheet. They arent expensive and will hold up better to the mach+ speeds. As for fin alignment, i too would suggest the foam board method, it works pretty well and as long as you cut it properly you cant really go wrong with it.

Also, i noticed in your original post that you didnt have a tracker in your rocket. If that thing is going over 8K ft you're going to need one.

Also, if you are looking to get the highest altitude possible with your motor, i would suggest stuffing the recovery systems in the nose cone and shortening the body tube as much as possible. Also, that nose cone is not what you want for getting high altitude. This one is better. https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...-Head-quot-75mm-to-54mm&p=1510344#post1510344

29mm MD + H195 + cardboard rocket = a need for tracking. If it stays together, it is going to disappear except in the bluest sky conditions.

Give some thought to your launch space. Can you recover this thing? An H-195 is a AT reloadable case, no? What would a 3 mile drift do to your odds of finding the thing?

I have a 29mm MD carbon fiber rocket (heavier than cardboard and wood fins but stronger) that gets way up there (2000'?) on Estes F motors. If I used 4 times the motor (H) I would expect to never see it again without some kind of tracking device. Smart Launch app says 9974'. You might get to see all the powder plus various other parts released at a much lower altitude when the 60+ Gs tests some joint to failure.

29mm MD + H195 + cardboard rocket = a need for tracking. If it stays together, it is going to disappear except in the bluest sky conditions.

Give some thought to your launch space. Can you recover this thing? An H-195 is a AT reloadable case, no? What would a 3 mile drift do to your odds of finding the thing?

I have a 29mm MD carbon fiber rocket (heavier than cardboard and wood fins but stronger) that gets way up there (2000'?) on Estes F motors. If I used 4 times the motor (H) I would expect to never see it again without some kind of tracking device. Smart Launch app says 9974'. You might get to see all the powder plus various other parts released at a much lower altitude when the 60+ Gs tests some joint to failure.

I have "6 tracking devices" I have my older brother, he can see a tiny rocket thousands of feet high. Second, I have a parachute that will shine from the sun, (it's silver & sparkly) Third, you will probably hear the ejection charge, you can track it that way. Fourth, the altimeter will beep, I tested it, it is ear piercing loud! Fifth, you should be able to see it in the corn because it will be red & blue. Sixth, I usually put glitter in my MD rockets, or rockets that will go high.

Everyone, I fixed the fin problem!
I ripped off the fin, and glued it back on, in a different area. It isn't perfect, but it is a LOT better. I'll post pics later. Today or tomorrow I will paint it. Then I might take a video of myself holding it and explaining how it should work.
Thanks,

We learn to walk by falling down. At the age of 13/14/15 we are/were all invincible & bullet proof.

Rockets: better use that super power to solve world hunger while you still know everything. As you get older it goes away.....

You will NOT see a rocket that small over 1k feet, smoke trail yes, rocket no, but then I wear glasses. You will NOT hear the ejection above about 700feet, but then I have tinnitus.
I would suggest a few trial flights on a smaller motor, like a D or E, and see how it goes. But then I have lost my mind over time, so what do I know........

There is a lot of experience on this forum and if you take the time to take it in, you might learn a thing or 2. Fall down if you must, but it hurts a lot less if you use what is between your ears.

I have "6 tracking devices" I have my older brother, he can see a tiny rocket thousands of feet high. Second, I have a parachute that will shine from the sun, (it's silver & sparkly) Third, you will probably hear the ejection charge, you can track it that way. Fourth, the altimeter will beep, I tested it, it is ear piercing loud! Fifth, you should be able to see it in the corn because it will be red & blue. Sixth, I usually put glitter in my MD rockets, or rockets that will go high.

A quick reality check:
I launched a 38mm machbuster to about 4000-5000 feet with a few dozen people watching. The only person who saw it eject had binoculars. He was able to track the chute, but nobody else saw it. It landed in pretty much bare dirt and some low grass. It was over a hill from the launch area, so we lost visual before it hit the ground. I searched for an hour with a good bearing and didn't find it. Someone else looking for another rocket brought it in, from about half a mile from the launch site. The chute had shredded (long story) so it fell pretty fast. On another occasion, I was able to track an altimeter that had ejected from a rocket on a mowed grass field. I could hear it from about 30' away, out in the grass with no rocket to muffle it.

You're sending a smaller rocket to 8-10 thousand feet. You won't see it at apogee. You MIGHT see the chute, but I think it's unlikely unless it's a super-calm day. You won't hear the ejection charge, other than a muffled thump that won't help you locate it. You won't see the rocket in anything more than knee-high grass, and even that might be a stretch. If it's in corn, you'll never find it unless you can get within 50 or so feet. Your rocket will land a mile or more away, so you won't be able to get a good bearing to get you that close.

I've launched a rocket that I didn't expect to find again, but I did that on a single-use motor. If you fly this, you'll be buying a new casing. Seriously, do your savings a favor and fly it on a D and then an F single use. If you think you can still find it on an H, go for it. I would be surprised if you can find it on the F.

A quick reality check:
I launched a 38mm machbuster to about 4000-5000 feet with a few dozen people watching. The only person who saw it eject had binoculars. He was able to track the chute, but nobody else saw it. It landed in pretty much bare dirt and some low grass. It was over a hill from the launch area, so we lost visual before it hit the ground. I searched for an hour with a good bearing and didn't find it. Someone else looking for another rocket brought it in, from about half a mile from the launch site. The chute had shredded (long story) so it fell pretty fast. On another occasion, I was able to track an altimeter that had ejected from a rocket on a mowed grass field. I could hear it from about 30' away, out in the grass with no rocket to muffle it.

You're sending a smaller rocket to 8-10 thousand feet. You won't see it at apogee. You MIGHT see the chute, but I think it's unlikely unless it's a super-calm day. You won't hear the ejection charge, other than a muffled thump that won't help you locate it. You won't see the rocket in anything more than knee-high grass, and even that might be a stretch. If it's in corn, you'll never find it unless you can get within 50 or so feet. Your rocket will land a mile or more away, so you won't be able to get a good bearing to get you that close.

I've launched a rocket that I didn't expect to find again, but I did that on a single-use motor. If you fly this, you'll be buying a new casing. Seriously, do your savings a favor and fly it on a D and then an F single use. If you think you can still find it on an H, go for it. I would be surprised if you can find it on the F.

OK, thanks for the tips!
Oh, bye the way I'm flying a DMS motor, so no casing.
If I lose it, so what. There is nothing really expensive other than the $30 altimeter. I've lost a altimeter in a rocket similar to this. I got the rocket back, but the nose cone separated. Unless I can find a tracker that is really small & cheap, it will have to go "tracker less."
Thanks,

[video]RECORDBREAKERII 001[/video]
This a video of me explaining everything. Sorry if the audio isn't bad. I had a lot of ugh, and umms in there. Sorry. :)
[video]RECORDBREAKERII 003[/video]
This video is a up-close of my MD rocket. :)
[video]RECORDBREAKERII 004[/video]
And there is my launch pad, from PVC. Each piece is 3 ft. long.
Is there a good finish for this rocket? Something that will make it shine & smooth??
Thanks,

[video]RECORDBREAKERII 001[/video]
This a video of me explaining everything. Sorry if the audio isn't bad. I had a lot of ugh, and umms in there. Sorry. :)
[video]RECORDBREAKERII 003[/video]
This video is a up-close of my MD rocket. :)
[video]RECORDBREAKERII 004[/video]
And there is my launch pad, from PVC. Each piece is 3 ft. long.
Is there a good finish for this rocket? Something that will make it shine & smooth??
Thanks,

Hmm, the video URL's aren't working. I guess I will have to stick to pictures for now. :(
RECORDBREAKERII 002.jpgRECORDBREAKERII 005.jpgRECORDBREAKERII 006.jpg
some nice lookin' rocket! I really like it! the launch pad is pretty sweet! BTW, that white part is supposed to be there. It's kinda supposed to be Red, White, & Blue. It's supposed to represent the USA!
Thanks,

For finishing, what did you paint it with? That determines which finishing techniques to use.

I never did a mach breaker or used a launch tower. Maybe some of the other that have will give their thoughts. I think the space between the PVC for the fins is too much. With that as the only guidance, it looks like there is too much slop for the rocket to move around.

I remember back in the late 80s my bother and I flew an Estes rocket with a G42. It was not min diameter, but the rocket was unstable and not very strong. It shredded, it made a fairly tight circle for a rocket, and smashed into the windshield of my brother's station wagon. Windshield was cracked pretty bad and there were burn marks on the center part where it hit (motor was still burning). Nobody was hurt at least.

Do your best to get a good, solid rocket for min diameter with a large motor. Practice safe distances from houses, people, etc. Have a decent controller allowing some distance between you and the rocket just in case. The rocket may be expendable, but you are not!

OK, thanks for the tips!
Oh, bye the way I'm flying a DMS motor, so no casing.
If I lose it, so what. There is nothing really expensive other than the $30 altimeter. I've lost a altimeter in a rocket similar to this. I got the rocket back, but the nose cone separated. Unless I can find a tracker that is really small & cheap, it will have to go "tracker less."
Thanks,
inexpensive tracker if you have a ham license there is a $20.00 2 meter RF kit that can be found

https://www.jbgizmo.com/page30-i.htm

Last edited:
Just my $0.02 USD: since you seem dead set on this course of action, at least think about doing your maiden flight on a 29mm BP. An E16 ought to fit the bill.

Just my $0.02 USD: since you seem dead set on this course of action, at least think about doing your maiden flight on a 29mm BP. An E16 ought to fit the bill.

Hmm, I might, I'm considering. I'm kinda on a budget so I'm not sure.
Thanks,

Hmm, I might, I'm considering. I'm kinda on a budget so I'm not sure.
Thanks,

You can get a package of E or F motors for less than the cost of the altimeter you're willing to lose with this flight. If you're on a budget, save the money on replacing the altimeter.

You can get a package of E or F motors for less than the cost of the altimeter you're willing to lose with this flight. If you're on a budget, save the money on replacing the altimeter.

this is a very good suggestion. I have a couple 29mmd rockets- some apogee aspire clones- one for speed and one for altitude- and plan on a couple flights with lower altitudes and speed. basically workin my way up to the speed and altitude.
im not sure,andrew, what your budget is, but theres some 24 mm and 29 mm lower thrust F and G motors from aerotech. the estes f motors are pretty wicked,too. not sure if the cato thing was fixed with the E9 engines.
also, apogee has an f10. cool long burn motor.
I think I saw something about a mylar chute, which is a good idea, but at the high altitude I think your going to get from that H motor, I don't think it would be able to be seen. have you thought about a mylar streamer? apogee has a good video on making monster mylar streamers. I made mine 24" wide and about 4' long and they pack easily into my mmd rockets. and the mylar came from a survival blanket I bought for about $3 on amazon and I have a lot left over for more streamers.

Don't the E16s CATO alot?

Back