29mm MD rocket "The Minute Man" (Build Thread)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two things I'd like to say.
First is there a non HPR motor that compares well to the AT H135W?
And second, If you guys really don't like the idea of me sticking an H135 in that rocket, I am willing to drop the idea of the H135 and going down to a F10. According to RockSim, it should break 6200'. The TRA record for an F motor is just over 5400'. So what do guys think of that idea?
Thanks,

Yeah, I like the Aspire. It's a really cool rocket. I may buy one in the future! Looks like a great MD rocket!
Thanks,

And second, If you guys really don't like the idea of me sticking an H135 in that rocket, I am willing to drop the idea of the H135 and going down to a F10. According to RockSim, it should break 6200'. The TRA record for an F motor is just over 5400'. So what do guys think of that idea?
Thanks,
That sounds like a good idea. But you still will probably need tracking on it. And the G80 from AT is the highest thrust non-HPR motor. There also are some good CTI motors for that size but if you dont want to buy a casing then AT is the best option.

Thanks,

My original level 1 cert attempt all the way back in 2004 was kinda of like the one you want to do. I decided to take an Aerotech Mustang and shove an I211 in it. I had upgraded the mount to 38mm, fiberglass wrapped the tubes and did tip to tip on the fins. The rocket did survive the up part, but we never saw it again... It went up about 15,000 and I was nowhere near prepared to track it. Hard lesson to swallow.

I think that going from E9 to F10 is great. Get some flights under your belt with this rocket and if it handles the F well, try a G. Regarding the sim, how are you going to track altitude? Also, I would not set the finish on polished. It's almost impossible to achieve polished. Set it to one lower and than should give you an accurate result. Also, be sure to override the weight and CG with the actual weight and CG of your rocket as built.

So, in the end I hope you do fly something like this on the H135 at some point. Should be a fun flight. I also hope you choose to stretch your abilities a little more sensibly than I did. Good luck.

My original level 1 cert attempt all the way back in 2004 was kinda of like the one you want to do. I decided to take an Aerotech Mustang and shove an I211 in it. I had upgraded the mount to 38mm, fiberglass wrapped the tubes and did tip to tip on the fins. The rocket did survive the up part, but we never saw it again... It went up about 15,000 and I was nowhere near prepared to track it. Hard lesson to swallow.

I think that going from E9 to F10 is great. Get some flights under your belt with this rocket and if it handles the F well, try a G. Regarding the sim, how are you going to track altitude? Also, I would not set the finish on polished. It's almost impossible to achieve polished. Set it to one lower and than should give you an accurate result. Also, be sure to override the weight and CG with the actual weight and CG of your rocket as built.

So, in the end I hope you do fly something like this on the H135 at some point. Should be a fun flight. I also hope you choose to stretch your abilities a little more sensibly than I did. Good luck.

For altitude tracking I will have a PerfectFlite APRA altimeter in the nose cone. I'll try putting the setting lower on RockSim.
Thanks,

Keep on studying Andrew! I passed the TMP test when I was 12, and I'm really lucky to have a bunch of great mentors looking out for me. That includes my Mom and Dad -who are both L2.

I think lots of kids want to put big motors in small rockets to see how fast and high it will go. Before I was a TMP, I stuffed an F32 into a stock Big Bertha (well almost stock). A single use F is the largest you can legally fly by yourself without assistance... or a mentor. -Anyway, I was real happy when somebody found my Bertha the next day. (I totally lost sight of it) It's really amazing how high a small rocket goes on a big motor :) :)

Thank You! I'm hoping to take the TMP test this weekend, if not, That's OK! Who was your mentor? Yeah, I like stuffing big motors in little rockets, like an Ellis G37 (a full G motor) in a 20 inch tall rocket. And for some reason, I like to build the tiny rockets that will break mach & go really high!
Thanks,

I like the idea of stepping down to an F motor. The rocket would literally teleport on an H135- there one second and gone the next. Without a tracker you stand a very large chance of losing the rocket- even if it survives.

I like the idea of stepping down to an F motor. The rocket would literally teleport on an H135- there one second and gone the next. Without a tracker you stand a very large chance of losing the rocket- even if it survives.

Yeah, I know what you mean! That's why I plan to step down to the F10 and can still possibly get an altitude record! And I also, really appreciate all of your help, if it wasn't for you guys, I probably would of flown it on the H135 and lost it. There is still a slight chance that I MIGHT fly it on a H135 IF I can get a tracker.
Thanks,

Here is the finished product! :)
IMG_2693.jpg
I think the rocket looks great! What do you guys think?
Thanks,

Looks nice. Try it with an Estes E16 motor first, then go up the ladder until you realize that any more motor and it's gonna get lost. My guess is that with an E16 you're gonna have your hands full.

The tree gods ate the 1st one. Something that small is near impossible to see. The swamp monster swallowed the 2nd one. Gurgle gurgle.
But his chances of recovery are next to nothing if he doesnt have a tracker.

But his chances of recovery are next to nothing if he doesnt have a tracker.

I put a post out on the Tripoli Mid-Ohio forum asking if anyone will sell or let me borrow a tracker for this launch. If nobody replies I'll just wait, or fly on a smaller SU motor.
Thanks,

I put a post out on the Tripoli Mid-Ohio forum asking if anyone will sell or let me borrow a tracker for this launch. If nobody replies I'll just wait, or fly on a smaller SU motor.
Thanks,
Ok sounds good. Hopefully you will get one.

If it flies well on the F10 and you're happy with your tracking, a nice next step would be a CTI G33. That's a fun motor with some smoke so you have a slightly better chance of tracking it. It also doesn't require certification and won't put too much stress on your airframe. If it's light enough to fly on D/E motors, you might want to look at a lower thrust H if you get there, since that's a lower risk of shredding and perhaps a higher altitude.

I would highly recommend flying on the D/E motors this time, then build an Eggfinder kit for higher flights. It's not much out of your price range and not too hard to build.

GOOD NEWS!
It appears I have a tracker that I can borrow! And, it appears I can fly it THIS WEEKEND! It should fly on an Apogee F10! RockSim sims it at going to just a tad over 6200'. The only problem with the tracker is where am I going to put it? I don't have any room in the nose cone, I have a lot of room in the BT, though. Should I build a sort of E-bay inside the BT? If so, where should I put it? I can't block the ejection charge, and I don't want the tracker to be burnt. I'm borrowing it, it should cost $125 if I lose it or if it breaks. The other question is what delay do you guys recommend for the F10?
And, the pad is ready to rock & roll! I keep forgetting to post pics. And I don't want to because it takes a while to upload pictures from my camera to my computer.
So all in all, I am really excited to fly!

This rocket should be flying at
Tripoli Mid-Ohio "Phil Prior Memorial Launch" Saturday 22nd & Sunday the 23rd. But, the weather looks really rainy tomorrow, so it will most likely fly on Sunday. If you guys want to check out TMO's website it's here: https://www.tripolimidohio.com/ They have a great field, you can fly up to "O" motors! And a nice, big recovery space. And I have heard via their Facebook page that there are some "M" flights planned and possibly a CTI O3400. Their Facebook page is here: https://www.facebook.com/Tripolimidohio/
So this sounds like a good rocket launch!
Thanks,

What I do with mine is tape them to shock cord with electrical tape. The one I have is pretty robust and it's held up well to motor ejection charges. Since it's not yours, maybe you can wrap it with some nomex?

What I do with mine is tape them to shock cord with electrical tape. The one I have is pretty robust and it's held up well to motor ejection charges. Since it's not yours, maybe you can wrap it with some nomex?

That's a good idea, but where can I buy nomex? Or, could I try to wrap it in a Kevlar glove? I have a couple of those. I use kevlar gloves for when I woodcarve. They are used to protect your hand from the knife so you don't cut yourself, if the knife slips off the wood. AND I JUST happen to have one that I don't use anymore!
Thanks,kevlar2.jpg

You do NOT need anything, just electrical tape. Do NOT use masking tape or any other type....use electrical tape.

I have seen trackers ripped of shock cords, even with duct tape, cannot emphasize this enough.

Just tape tracker to shock cord, completely wrap tape around the entire tracker, that will be plenty good to protect it.

DSCN2966.jpg DSCN2967.jpg

Do NOT tape the antenna to shock cord [unless the owner insists].

Been doing this for many years and haver never burned or blown up a tracker, even with rockets using 7gram charges.

Good luck.

You do NOT need anything, just electrical tape. Do NOT use masking tape or any other type....use electrical tape.

I have seen trackers ripped of shock cords, even with duct tape, cannot emphasize this enough.

Just tape tracker to shock cord, completely wrap tape around the entire tracker, that will be plenty good to protect it.

View attachment 318122 View attachment 318123

Do NOT tape the antenna to shock cord [unless the owner insists].

Been doing this for many years and haver never burned or blown up a tracker, even with rockets using 7gram charges.

Good luck.

OK, I'll try! The flight should be really fun! The fins aren't the straightest things, though. Since it won't be travelling at a very high speed, will it spin a lot less than a fast rocket? Or, vice versus?
Thanks,

Back