Polecat Chaos 4 Build! Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't see why either would be a problem. Use whatever you are comfortable with and/or have on hand. Or do some of each...

Well, I do have both on hand. I don't like weighing out the 4500, and it gets EVERYWHERE... But the Rocketpoxy is slower to set to pull fillets.

Which one's less dense when cured?

Boy, what the heck... Do you think I'm a rocket scientist??? :eyeroll: That sort of thing never occurred to me.
My way is MUCH MORE scientific... Rocketpoxy if it's gonna get painted, and Proline 4500 if it isn't and I want the deep black to match the fins...
So I'll probably use Rocketpoxy, based on this complicated scientific research...

Also, since I found four or five more altimeters laying around, the AV bay electronics has been chosen. Olsen FCP-M2 for the main, and a RRC2+ to back it up.

Bump...any update on this? Will it fly this year? :)

OK,

So I finally am getting around to some finishing touches on this bird. Got all three fillets done and started working on the AV bay. I was stoked, this came with a simple plywood sled to fit over the all thread rods. So, remember when I said it came with a 6" coupler? The all thread is 9" long. So, apparently at some point, Polecat offered a longer coupler. Well the sled (of course I glued it together...) is 7" long... :mad: :mad: OK, so much for using that. Luckily I have a 3" 3D printed sled that is only 5" long.
Just gonna be a little tougher to put 2 altimeters on it...

IMG_0504.JPG

IMG_0505.JPG

IMG_0506.JPG

IMG_0508.JPG

So I mentioned to my coworker (who just happens to be a avid woodworker) about how my sled was too long...
I mentioned that if he was up for a project, I wouldn't mind a sled. I showed him what came in the kit and how much shorter it needed to be. He asked what sort of time frame. I said September :wink:
So, this morning he hands me a bag with these inside... :shock: :shock:
He said he just kept cutting until he ran out of wood.
Aren't friends great!

IMG_0509.JPG

Funny you should ask...
Well, today, seeing as how we're reduced to 32hrs/week right now, I had a full day of rocketry related activities planned (a looong nap took up much of today. Stupid Cubs game...). I got a fincan painted, and managed to make the AV bay board fit into the AV bay of this rocket. I've been thinking about electronics to put on the sled now. I'm thinking an Olsen FCP-M2 (to keep with the old time feel), backed up with a Perfectflite StratologgerCF. Paint? Nah, we don't need any stinkin paint...
Although I was thinking about White with yellow fins like the Estes Astron Sprint. Now if only I had seen a pic of one first, I would have put a tailcone retainer on it.

Well, the Punisher 4X4 kinda bumped this out of the top spot... I have to finish the AV bay sled, then maybe a spot or lick of paint. I really messed up though. I should've put a 4"to 54mm tail cone on it like the Estes Astron Sprint XL, but I think I 'll do the color scheme anyway. White with yeller fins. Mebbee the payload will get some yeller too!

Last edited:
I have to finish the AV bay sled, then maybe a spot or lick of paint.

So- Midwest power 2019? :)

I wish there was a way to retrofit tailcones to a rocket that wasn't set up originally for one. Without ripping out the motor mount and starting over.

So- Midwest power 2019? :)

I wish there was a way to retrofit tailcones to a rocket that wasn't set up originally for one. Without ripping out the motor mount and starting over.

Maybe 2018.... maybe
If the threaded portion of the tail cone could be extended down, but then you'd cook the tail cone... Oh well, I'll tell people to IMAGINE the tail cone... :eyeroll:

Maybe 2018.... maybe
If the threaded portion of the tail cone could be extended down, but then you'd cook the tail cone... Oh well, I'll tell people to IMAGINE the tail cone... :eyeroll:

Hmm

Since Glen won't stop pestering me about this, today I mounted the altimeters to the sled.
A Olsen FCP-M2 will ride as back-up to a Stratologer CF. Vent holes were drilled into the AV bay then glued shut when I realized they were no where near the center of the bay... New holes were drilled and cleaned up. Maybe next I'll throw on some paint...:facepalm:

Attachments

• IMG_0720.JPG
    IMG_0720.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0719.JPG
    IMG_0719.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 42
Coming up on the 1 year anniversary of this thread. Love the av sleds in post #36. Maybe you should hand over the rest of the kit to your coworker...

Coming up on the 1 year anniversary of this thread. Love the av sleds in post #36. Maybe you should hand over the rest of the kit to your coworker...

Wow! I'm flying right along with this thing, I better slow down. :eyeroll: :eyeroll: :facepalm:
It actually went down to the paint booth last night. All primer white. Next, a over coat of white, then some yeller! I think the fins and payload bay will be yellow.

So.. we might see it fly this year? :) What about the 4 finned punisher and the king viper? :)

So.. we might see it fly this year? :) What about the 4 finned punisher and the king viper? :)

Maybe if you ask extra special nicely... :eyeroll:
The Punisher just needs paint. What does everyone think of orange w/ metallic silver nose and fins?
The King Viper III booster has been primered. Turns out I didn't have any copper paint, so I got that at the store today after work. I think I'll repaint the cone too, since I can't match Tim's original color. I'll need to get Nomex, shock cords and chutes for it...

Orange is always a great color for rockets, very visible. Also any color commonly seem in fire is a good choice.

As for the silver, another great color! I'm not sure about the two together, it probably depends on the shade of orange. Play around a bit with the colors next to each other...

So, I've got it painted...
I'm thinking for decals, something along the line of it's namesake. I'm gonna go to the Home Depot and get the letters for Chaos in a different font for each letter... :wink:

IMG_0729.JPG

So I got the decals on. My aim was for them to be a little, well, Chaotic...
Mission accomplished?
Rocket is prepped and ready for flight this weekend at QCRS. Since it's kinda a classic kit, I decided on a classic(ish) motor. AT K400C DMS.
So, come to mini Midwest Power this weekend and be ready for a good time...

Chaos 1.jpg

Chaos 2.jpg

Flew very nicely on the K400. A long walk because I popped the main at apogee, but otherwise OK. I'll add more shockcord to the drogue end and recheck my charge amounts.
A sad note, the Olsen used up all the 9v before the flight... There was a launch snafu. The Strat CF worked flawless. Altitude was 6500ish (forgot to power the Strat back up and count the beeps. Because God forbid I hook it up to the computer.... :facepalm: ).

Back