Polecat Chaos 4 Build! Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd2cylman

Still not Carl... ;-)
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So Eric C just stole some unboxing thunder I was planning on using. So instead, I'm just gonna shamelessly copy...
So here we have the box.
Nathanbox.jpg
Kid not actual size. He's actually bigger... He's only 9 :eyepop:
Dog and bag of Cheetos not included in box.

The Open.jpg
This is inside the top of the box, I thought it was just paper padding, but as I took it out, it seemed pretty heavy. So I unwrapped it.

Wood parts.jpg
And found this. No matter how I tried, I couldn't rewrap those buggers and get them back in the box when I was done... :blush:
No, I'm not making bombs for the Fuhrer. It's my boy's Schoolastic book. I think he thought it was about bombs. Joke was on him, but, he is really getting into the story.

Tubular.jpg
A tube, I thought... Wild guesser, aren't I? :duck:

Inside tubular.jpg
So, payload tube, nosecone (gelcoat fiberglass), and coupler.

Big tubular.jpg
I'm guessing fincan... Still wild, aren't I :eyeroll:

Inside big tubular.jpg
Yep, fincan, motor tube and some nylon shock cord. One slightly buggered Polecat sticker. Not much stick on one end anymore I'm afraid.

Last baggie.jpg
And finally, miscellaneous hardware.

When I get a little free time, I'll do a dry fit. Not tonight. Gotta work tomorrow and write this drivel tonight... Priorities, ya know :facepalm:

Last edited:
Reserved for eventual dry fit...

Should be done by 2020... :duck:

HEHEHE. Forgot I saved this page... :facepalm:

IMG_0477.JPG

Last edited:
So Eric C just stole some unboxing thunder I was planning on using. So instead, I'm just gonna shamelessly copy...
So here we have the box.
View attachment 316158
Kid not actual size. He's actually bigger... He's only 9 :eyepop:
Dog and bag of Cheetos not included in box.

View attachment 316159
This is inside the top of the box, I thought it was just paper padding, but as I took it out, it seemed pretty heavy. So I unwrapped it.

View attachment 316160
And found this. No matter how I tried, I couldn't rewrap those buggers and get them back in the box when I was done... :blush:
No, I'm not making bombs for the Fuhrer. It's my boy's Schoolastic book. I think he thought it was about bombs. Joke was on him, but, he is really getting into the story.

View attachment 316161
A tube, I thought... Wild guesser, aren't I? :duck:

View attachment 316162
So, payload tube, nosecone (gelcoat fiberglass), and coupler.

View attachment 316163
I'm guessing fincan... Still wild, aren't I :eyeroll:

View attachment 316164
Yep, fincan, motor tube and some nylon shock cord. One slightly buggered Polecat sticker. Not much stick on one end anymore I'm afraid.

View attachment 316165
And finally, miscellaneous hardware.

When I get a little free time, I'll do a dry fit. Not tonight. Gotta work tomorrow and write this drivel tonight... Priorities, ya know :facepalm:

Tehehe. Your unboxing is far superior by the way! Way more wrapping paper...suspenseful steps, animals, cheesy poofs, and other excitement! I like it....like in the yard sale thread, is this like a 4" sprint?

Cool Adrian! Hope to see it in the air at Mmwp!

Tehehe. Your unboxing is far superior by the way! Way more wrapping paper...suspenseful steps, animals, cheesy poofs, and other excitement! I like it....like in the yard sale thread, is this like a 4" sprint?

Cool Adrian! Hope to see it in the air at Mmwp in 2020!

Fixed that for you...
I'm actually trying (very slowly, apparently) to finish my WM 5" Jart. And I've started a WM Wild Thang Extreme. Got all the parts sanded and washed for the Thang. Gottta start glueing next. The Jart needs paint. The GF suggested pink. And seeing as how I definitely don't have ANY pink rockets, I couldn't come up with a reason NOT to give in. SO the next time we're both at the home improvement store, I'm gonna let her pick the shade. Ain't I an awesome BF? I told her the only condition is that the decals (silver metallic) have to look OK on the base coat.
So.... After those excuses.... I'll try to build it by MWP (not mMWP)... But no promises...

Last edited:
So it does look like a Sprint! But a rare bird as I have never seen that on the Polecat kit lists. Adrian, is there a copyright date on the instruction set?

Is that NC parabolic or ogive? Argh, the suspense!

I think it's just a ogive. But I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night... So I'm not sure :confused2:
How about a picture with a straight edge(ruler) along the profile, and you can tell me?
Do we want exact tube lengths also? Fin spans?

So it does look like a Sprint! But a rare bird as I have never seen that on the Polecat kit lists. Adrian, is there a copyright date on the instruction set?

So a BSD Sprint? How do you bevel elliptical fins??? All the way around? Just the leading edge??? Inquiring minds might want to know... :blush:
I'll look at the instructions when I pull the nosecone for Mr Barr...

I think it's just a ogive. But I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night... So I'm not sure :confused2:
How about a picture with a straight edge(ruler) along the profile, and you can tell me?
Do we want exact tube lengths also? Fin spans?
All of those would be great for this rare bird! I was only mentioning that I didn't see the tip since it was behind the coupler ^_^

So a BSD Sprint? How do you bevel elliptical fins??? All the way around? Just the leading edge??? Inquiring minds might want to know... :blush:
I'll look at the instructions when I pull the nosecone for Mr Barr...

Here's my BSD Canadian Sprint. Rounded along top, a little sharper angle on trailing edge.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1491090890.416270.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1491090909.902739.jpg

I thought about beveling all around but then thought it would look too Medieval, if ya know what I mean: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?29099-Big-Battle-Axe&p=316639#post316639.

Last edited:
OK,
Mr Barr, here are some measurements and pics.
Main body tube: 30"
Payload tube 11 7/8"
Coupler: 6"
Nosecone shoulder: 2"
Nosecone OAL: 15 1/8"

Sorry Tim, no date printed anywhere on the box or the instructions. Looking over the instructions and into the hardware bag, the kit comes COMPLETE.
Rail buttons and mounting screws included. Huh... The instructions call for the coupler and forward bulkhead to be glued 2" into the payload bay...
Hmm, I don't know about that... We'll see. The tube is short, but I gotta fit the shockcord, nomex and 50" chute into there... Hmm. Good thing I still have a trusty old Top Flight 50" thin mil hanging down in the basement. :headbang: I guess I'll just roll the edges of the fins. I'm not big into airfoil or sharp tapers for maximum performance. It just needs to go up with smoke and noise, and hopefully come back down.
So, at this point I could do a dry fit, but where's the fun in that.
Maybe tomorrow, if I'm feeling saucy...

Cone1.jpg

Cone2.jpg

I was lucky enough to win the Nike Smoke during the original poster's offer and although the instructions sheet had no info the original sales receipt was included in the box, (talk about new in box?). The PayPal receipt was most likely from Andy as I know it wasn't Jack's info. I thought I saved the receipt but I can't find it anywhere. I think it was later in 2007 around the same time I bought my 10" Nike, which was purchased right during the turnover to Jack.

Last edited:
So I tried taking pictures of the instructions with my camera. Not so much... SO, I think the GF has a hand held scanner for her work (she's a CPA). So I'll see if I can get her to scan them for me and I'll post the files after I get that done. It won't be until next week, as she's out of town until Monday. So please bear with me. I promise it'll happen, I just don't know when exactly...
As to the build itself, well, I guess I can start whipping it together...
So on that note, a few questions about pre-glassed air frames.
Sand the outside just like I would a FG kit, correct?
The inside feels like LOC tubing, so I assume I can use regular epoxy or even Titebond II inside when I'm gluing paper to wood?
I have no problem using Titebond II on paper to wood joints, so I might just try it. Otherwise, I"ll use West with thickener...
We'll see.

Howdy all!
I haven't given up on this. Remember, the GF was out of town and I'm not allowed to touch her computer (nor would I). So today at work, she scanned the instructions for me. For you all...
So, without further ado I present the Polecat Aerospace Chaos 4 instructions in easy to download .pdf form...
Any minute now... Yep, you'll see 'em...
So, are they there yet???
Maybe if I try this.... :eyeroll:

View attachment Rocket Instructions.pdf

Holy crap this thread got far back in the queue... I was waiting for my Aeropack retainer to get started with the build, and the !@#$#@! mail lost my package from Wildman, but of course reported it delivered (just not to who...). So, on with the build! Darn it all, forgot the pictures... :facepalm:
OK, imagine in your head a white 54mm mmt sanded good to break up the glasine. Then the top plywood CR was glued on using Titebond. Then the middle and bottom CR were set on and pushed up by the Aeropack retainer. The fins were placed in approximate locations and the middle CR was glued on top of the fins with the previously mentioned Titebond. I was gonna use the TBII, but couldn't find it and had the TB sitting there handy, so... Then Titebond Molding and Trim (no run, no drip) was used to fillet both sides of the upper CR and the top side of the middle CR. Yes, at the same time. They really mean no run, no drip! Fins and Aeropack were set aside, and next, I'll install the u-bolt. Next time I'm home, I'll post the pics. Please don't beat me for my omission. I know, pics or it didn't happen. I promise that by Tuesday night, I'll have the pics.

IMG_0476.JPG

Last edited:
I know I've been out of the loop too long when I missed the start of an Adrian build thread and there's actually progress... Now if I missed a whole build, then I'd have to claim BAR status. LoL!

OK,

Waaaaay back at post 2 I promised a dry fit. It's there finally.
And a few posts above here, there's a pic of the MMT as promised. More to come in 2018... :facepalm: :wink:

Oh, and I sort of updated dhbarr's OR file. :eyeroll: I think it's OK

LGTM!

Got the mmt and the fins installed today. Tirebond II for the roots. Interior fillets will be Titebond No Run, No Drip. Then the rear CR will be slapped on with more TB II. Then the Aeropack.

IMG_0479.JPG

OK, rear CR is glued on and Aeropack retainer is installed. I decided to follow the instructions and glued the coupler into the payload bay. Polecat wants you to glue the forward bulkhead to the top of the coupler, but I don't like that idea. I don't want to fish charges down into there, so I'm gonna have my buddy cut the other bulkhead to match the rear and put a similar step in it. That way I can put the charges in the holders an slide the finished assembly down to the coupler. The other thing left to do is the external fillets. I'm waffleing between Rocketpoxy and Proline 4500.

IMG_0480.JPG

Back