STL Design files-help needed

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why not just lay out the fin guide on foam board using a ruler, protractors, and an exacto knife? I do all of mine that way, but I do have actual mechanical drafting skills.

Actually looking at your ORK file, your going to have more issues. 24mm minimum diameter and mach 1.48 is not a good match for 3d printing. Check out the discussion at https://mcfisher.0catch.com/other/mach1/mach1.htm
I cant access it. But i did make the nose cone extra thick to hold up against the aerodynamic forces if thats what youre talking about.

Assuming your intent is to pursue the G altitude record you may want to check this out

https://www.apogeerockets.com/Rocket_Books_Videos/Pamphlets_Reports/Tech_Pub_5

Maximum altitude is more complicated than putting the largest motor in the lightest rocket. There are optimum weights, diameter to length ratios, etc.

I also note that you indicate the tracker antenna passing through a tunsten slug, any metal in the area of the antenna will attenuate your signal.

Good luck
And yeah i did optimize my rocket to get the highest altitude possible, the optimum weight is about 0.6 lb (according to RASAero) and I'm pretty close to that.

I'll also try to look for another nose weight. Do you have any idea of what matitials which the signal will not be attenuated?

Why not just lay out the fin guide on foam board using a ruler, protractors, and an exacto knife? I do all of mine that way, but I do have actual mechanical drafting skills.
I did already order the fin guides, plus i dont really trust myself with things that require extreme precision.

Actually you want the heavy unobtainium for noses and the light unobtinium for fins in order to keep the Cg at its optimal location. [emoji1303]

Steve Shannon

You also want Unobtanium body tubes and an Unobtainium PerUnobtainate Composite Propellant motor in an Unobtanium Casing. An Unobtanium parachute negates the need for tracking, as it makes the model land perfectly onto the launch rod.

3D printing is an iterative process. I typically have to print 3-4 iterations to obtain a final part to my standards that I can then replicate. This is compounded if there's a dimensional constraint.

FWIW (perhaps for future readers of this thread), I use this 3d printed fin guide for my rockets and it works great: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:695599

Thingiverse has an integrated tool called Customizer that lets you modify designs like this then download the stl file. I've made these recently for a Quicksilver, Go Devil 29, Mongoose 29 & Go Devil 38. Perfectly aligned fins every time!

Can anyone make me a biconvex airfoiled fin with these dimensions? I got in touch with a company that spicializes in very strong composites and so i need an STL file to send to them so that they can make it.

thanks,

View attachment 316643

No one airfoil shape is optimal for all flight regimes: sub, trans, super, hyper.
But for my rocket it is sccording to the sims. The rockets top speed is mach 1.5 and the motors burn time is 0.9sec.

As I'm drawing the fin up, I can;t help but wonder: What kind of resolution does this printing place have? your widest section is .8mm, and you taper to an extremely fine edge. I think you'll lose alot of that edge in the printing process.

Edit: Here ya go. Don't hurt yourself!
View attachment trfanfins.STL

Trfanfins.png

Thanks! But it isnt a printing place but rather a company that makes extremely strong compostes, namely CF and kevlar.

Looking at the STL file, it looks like the tip chord is 1 mm or so. The fin is actually beveled exerywhere and is three-pointed.

Back