Trying to Start A Rocketry Club, Having Issues (Part 2)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For TARC there has to be a school or other educational group sponsor I believe.

It's generally a non-profit of some kind as noted above. But that means you could find a church, Boys and Girls club or something to be your sponsor. If you have 20 plus people, your local Boy Scout council (note that I said COUNCIL and not TROOP) might be willing to start an Explorer post for you. You'd need a couple adult leaders that could be (or already are) approved by the BSA, and the rest of you would join the Boy Scouts (no worries, the Explorers is open to boys AND girls) but that only costs about $12 per year. Okay it's a little more involved than that, but it might be a good option. I mention this because a) I am involved in Boy Scouting and have been for years, b) I am en electrical engineer, c) AND a certified Level 1 member of NAR, d) the troop I had been affiliated folded, and so e) I remain associated with the local COUNCIL as a merit badge counselor, but am otherwise troop-less. I would be thrilled if someone by me wanted to do what I just suggested and would volunteer to be one of the adult leaders in a New York minute.

but the only problem I have with that is random strangers, probably 20+ joining. I really am looking into teens planning to build one or two rockets at a time. Nearly all NAR sections are just formed so people have a place to launch. I want to make a club where we can design and build our own rockets as a team, and participate in TARC.
That one is easy. When you make your ad/flyer, just specify that it's a youth only club. You basically already have most of the ad done in the quote above.
To participate in TARC, you don’t need to be part of a school team, although most are. A boys/girls club, 4H club, boy/girl scouts, church youth group, Civil Air Patrol, etc. would work too. I’m a mentor for a homeschool group, but I’m guessing that’s not an option for you might just have to get creative if the school thing is out.
mad4hws has excellent advice here. Any group that would be willing to help you out would be better than a school that fought you tooth and nail.
You may want to approach this in stages. TARC is the big objective, but even if you just got a small group together launching on weekends here and there you'd still have fun.

Back