Space shot with N5800 and L2050

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Without looking at the sim, but having played with sims if this nature, I sincerely doubt it.

No and yes. From the ground, no. From a Rockoon, maybe yes. A rockoon is a rocket carrying balloon array. Free balloon flights often reach 100,000 feet. If you can get to 90,000 feet the rocket travel in creases by a factor of 10, i:e: a 2000 rocket will have the potential of 20,000 feet. Of course the logistics are formidable, they would need 15-20 bottles of Helium. I wasn't going to use Helium, my plan was to make Hydrogen and use it, far cheaper. Plus it has the added benefit of a huge fireball at launch.

Not possible. You can't fly rockoons in the United States, period. You are never gonna get permission. If Tripoli doesn't shut you down, the FAA certainly will. If you've got the coin to go into international waters with all the support vessels you will need, well.....

An n-5800 to n-5800 could do it, but It would likely land so far away that it would be unwise to launch without some closed-loop control to keep it vertical. I think Jim Jarvis is on the right track along these lines.

Not possible. You can't fly rockoons in the United States, period. You are never gonna get permission. If Tripoli doesn't shut you down, the FAA certainly will. If you've got the coin to go into international waters with all the support vessels you will need, well.....

....sigh.... I left out a lot for the sake of brevity, I didn't feel like explaining the whole thing. "...the logistics are formidable..." Don't you think this covers the difficulties? Yes, I intended to launch from Mexican waters from an abandoned oil drilling platform which dot the Gulf. I had contact with both AeroTech and Dr. Rocket. This was during the CATS Prize period. Dr. Rocket had introduced their Modular Rocket with a two stage option. At the same time AeroTech introduced the N2000 Blue Thunder load. 9 Polyethylene bag and aluminum and nylon framework, a 350,000RPM gyro 3.5" in diameter for stability and it's on it way to 220,000 feet. The funding fell through when the radio station that was sponsoring the flight(actually one of the DJ's had arranged the money, over $50,000) when the radio station sold to Clear Communications. We had hoped they'd get onboard...no such luck. Not long after Ky Michaelson won the Prize with Go Fast.

The biggest problem I could find is that the AST feels they can control what an American does outside the US, FAA is non factor past a certain height AGL, one I can't remember at this time.

edit: I wanted to add, there's nothing Tripoli can say about it but Good Luck. Armature Rocketry is outside their purvey

If you are flying outside of conus I do not see how AST has a leg to stand on.

Latest posts

Back