Long coupler

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BDB

Absent Minded Professor
Reaction score
I'm looking for a 16" coupler for a LOC 4" tube. I can't find anything longer than 8", besides the full-length couplers from ARR. Is that my only choice for something like this?

Are you gonna use it as a coupler or something else.
Maybe get two pieces and join them with a loc stiffener inside or a piece of bodytube outside?

Are you gonna use it as a coupler or something else.
Maybe get two pieces and join them with a loc stiffener inside or a piece of bodytube outside?

The plan is to make an AV bay that can be opened without unwiring everything. Here is my back-of-the-napkin design. The stiffener is a good idea, if nothing else is possible.

IMG_2252.jpg

Balsa Machining has 3" coupler listed, they might have something bigger.

Thanks. I forgot to look at BMS.

Can't say for sure, but more than likely if you call LOC or Madcow, one of them will be able to sell you a 34" length, or possibly a custom cut piece.
Performance Hobbies has a 34" on their LOC list but it shows out of stock......
Wildman has it on his PML list in 34" pieces, but I am not sure if it would mate with regular cardboard tube....
YMMV

Contact LOC directly to see if they can fill a special order from their stock. At worst you are no less for the wear. At best you have exactly what you need.

Greg

Brainblast (or brainfart depending on outcome): Since your internal bay splits open, What about using normal airframe tubing? You'll have to cut it anyway, and it may be easier to get than specific "coupler tubing"

Some tubing will not want to be exactly round anymore once cut. Blue tube is this way, and may make it hard to get a good seal around your bulkheads. That flex could allow a bulkhead to pull down into the sandwich if force is applied in that direction. Perhaps a hatch style opening in your electronics bay could alleviate some of this, i.e. instead of sliced completely in half have a door in the bay. This would still be compatible with your removable coupler also.

I have been thinking about this too. I suspect that I'll need to cut two couplers. Otherwise the saw kerf will prevent the coupler from being round. But I hadn't really thought about the structural issues that this could cause. If I'm going to do this, I definitely need to design something to compensate for the lost strength.

After slitting lengthwise, I would look into using another coupler. Cut some strips lengthwise and bond on the inside. This will provide a lip for mating the 2 halves and improve the strength at the joint.

clamshella.jpg

I have been thinking about this too. I suspect that I'll need to cut two couplers. Otherwise the saw kerf will prevent the coupler from being round. But I hadn't really thought about the structural issues that this could cause. If I'm going to do this, I definitely need to design something to compensate for the lost strength.

Maybe a couple of thin wooden (or 3D printed) half moon rings inside the coupler to help it keep shape? In a 4" tube you should have plenty of spare diameter for reinforcement.

Back