Space 1999 Eagle PMC

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With enough nose weight and power anything can fly!

How do you justify to the wife you just spent $50 on a delicate plastic model you are going to modify with many expensive rocket motors?

You distract her with bright shiny objects:

jewels.jpg

If I had all that, I'd embed it in epoxy and my nose weight problems would be solved :D

If I had that I would glue it to my lat build "Heavenly Rider." Might sneak off to Hobby Lobby today for some fake gems to glue on that rocket.

They should have a nice selection of peel and stick gems.

They should have a nice selection of peel and stick gems.

And just another isle over there is still another one of these Eagle kits on the shelf. And just another isle over there is a pack of 1-16-16 E9's, coupled with the cheap QCC Explorers on the Estes website, I could go for a real QCC EXPLODER!

Nothing more dangerous than the back end of the Hobby Lobby store!

I'm late but wow, congrats! That's so awesome! I had lingering doubts about the side-to-side stability but you made it work. I love the creativity and the out-of-box (mind?) thinking! Way to go!!! :) :) :)

Flew again. The chute was out but did not inflate. Still enough draggy bit that it landed with no damage. Did burn off one streamer going up. Maybe time to now get the courage to fly it streamer less.

[video=youtube;tWpnKUxTCzU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWpnKUxTCzU&feature=youtu.be[/video]

That is so great, I don't even think of horizontal boosts.....I'm still stuck "in the box".....need to get out.....

Although it would look much less scale, what if you installed the equivalent of a "launch escape tower" above the model, with two engines 'canted' so their exhaust would clear each side of the eagle?

Just a thought....

Although it would look much less scale, what if you installed the equivalent of a "launch escape tower" above the model, with two engines 'canted' so their exhaust would clear each side of the eagle?

Just a thought....

Motors up front would work if you can prevent melting the model. But the center mount motor worked fine and it looked good.

Motors up front would work if you can prevent melting the model. But the center mount motor worked fine and it looked good.

I meant to have both engines canted, sort-of like how the rocket nozzles on the NASA Mercury & Apollo launch escape towers were canted so the exhausts were not 'blowing'<?> directly on the space capsules.

I meant to have both engines canted, sort-of like how the rocket nozzles on the NASA Mercury & Apollo launch escape towers were canted so the exhausts were not 'blowing'<?> directly on the space capsules.

BP motors put out an intense area of heat in a plume with lots of sparks and soot, and that plastic easily melts. So even canted I think they would have to be up a ways; but it would work and be even more stable. Canted tractor motors rule!

BP motors put out an intense area of heat in a plume with lots of sparks and soot, and that plastic easily melts.

Roger that....

So even canted I think they would have to be up a ways; but it would work and be even more stable. Canted tractor motors rule!

You mean, I actually had a sort-of GOOD IDEA?! :surprised:

:clap:

Last edited:
Back