a larger keyboard

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My problem is different. I use an old Microsoft Sidewinder keyboard that lets the keypad be moved to either side of the keyboard. This is perfect for my CAD use, as it allows the trackball (thumball) to be placed close by on the right, for minimum motion when that hand has to be moved to the keyboard, and lets the left hand use programmable keys on the keypad. Problem is, the keypad is flaking out. The keypad fits in so nicely, but I might have to replace it with an external USB keypad. I haven't seen any other alternative - they don't make this keyboard anymore and it's $$ on ebay.

Shuttle-Sidewinder-Track.jpg

I had completely forgotten about the Shuttle Pro gadget I'd gotten some years ago - it's been sitting in a box. Since my left-hand keypad has given up, the Shuttle moves nicely into it's space. The Sidewinder keyboard now without a keypad is nicely compact so things don't spread too far apart. The trackball is new too - I've used every model of Logitech trackball (thumball) for the past ~30 years, but Logitech has been slow to update. This new one is an Elecom EX-G. I'm still getting used to it but it appears to favorably compare to the Logitech - with more programmable buttons.

The other thing I'm interested in is a SpaceMouse. I might have to get one of those while I still have a student ID. I tried one a few months ago and really liked it, but $$.

Keyboards....

A friend got me hooked on mechanical keyboard switches. I have 2 boards, both with Outemu blue switches.
2EphaSS.jpg

This one is my favorite. E-Element Z88. I currently have the keys arranged in Dvorak as I'm trying to teach myself a new layout.

I also picked up a V7 (European model) with Outemu blues.

I love my clicky switches. I'm looking out for a IBM Model M with buckling springs. That's my dream keyboard. :)

Once you try a mechanical keyboard, you'll never touch membrane keebs again.

I finally got down to that room and went through the stack of keyboards. Although I was certain that I had one of these, I don’t. I’m sorry. Neither could I find my stash of IBM clicky keyboards. That really bummed me.

Steve Shannon
Thanks for checking Steve. Mechanical keyboards are so much tougher that they seem to last forever.

I have a keyboard made by this company

https://www.pckeyboard.com/page/SFNT

They bought the tech & the molds from Lexmark, which is the company that IBM spun off their Printer and keyboard bushiness. I have an old IBM keyboard with a PS2 connector, but it won't work on my mac. I got a Spacesaver M. It's real close. Not as heavy as the IBM, but the feel is real close.

I have a keyboard made by this company

https://www.pckeyboard.com/page/SFNT

They bought the tech & the molds from Lexmark, which is the company that IBM spun off their Printer and keyboard bushiness. I have an old IBM keyboard with a PS2 connector, but it won't work on my mac. I got a Spacesaver M. It's real close. Not as heavy as the IBM, but the feel is real close.

Well that’s cool.
Thanks!

Steve Shannon

Back