Performance help

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrwalsh85

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just found out MWP will not work out for me. As a result, I'm gunning for AIRFEST.

This tightens up my schedule by about two months. I picked up a Wildman Sport (54mm version) and picked up some components to make it a dual deploy bird.

I intend to make it a high performance bird by putting a 38mm mount in it. I am not sure I'd like to keep the fins just yet... But I could use some assistance.

Is there some type of formula to determine the optimum fin design for a specific airframe length vs diameter?

My plan is to punch it with a 38/1080, and maybe eventually a Loki K1127 if it will fit.

I have been chatting with UpscaleCNC about the parts but the fin design remains my unknown. The rest is fairly simple.

I have not used Proline epoxy but I ordered a small epoxy set and intend to use that on this bird. I'm also considering some tip to tip, along with vacuum bagging to make things nice.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. I never thought I'd be an altitude/speed junkie, but here I am...

Thanks in advance!
Mike Walsh

Not sure how you're going to fit a 38/1080 or Loki 38/1200 case in there... unless you got an extended body tube? Also, by tip to tip- what are you trying to do- carbon fiber? put another layer of FG on top of the already FG body?

Not sure how you're going to fit a 38/1080 or Loki 38/1200 case in there... unless you got an extended body tube? Also, by tip to tip- what are you trying to do- carbon fiber? put another layer of FG on top of the already FG body?

Motor section is 22" long.. I guess the K1127 won't fit after all. Womp womp. Guess I'll have to build a separate bird for that one.

-Mike

If you want a wildman jr, Why not just get a JR?

the sport body is 22". The 38/1200 is over 24"

the jr jr will fit the 1200

Mike,,
We've been around this to know a few things..
My number one,,
Do not build in a restriction of any sort into a rocket..
You'll be fine for the first flights..
But when the new novelty of the rocket wears off
you're just going to want to see how much AP you can fit into the thing..
There is no reason in the world for you to put a motor mount in that thing..
You can always adapt down.........

Teddy

Your thread title made me think you needed to see a doctor about some little blue pills.

Glad to hear ur going to Argonia! No help here - but Justin did build a fine CF 54MD that I plan to finish and fly at Argonia. C u there

Back