Tubing Conundrum

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kruegon

Reaction score
Cardboard. Heavy-wall. Spiral wrapped. 8.875" OD x 55" L. As much as you want for free.

If this scenario was put in front of you, what would you do?

Like a fat walrus like two foot tall
Sadly I do not have a large supply of mega tubes, but this design keeps popping into my head.

Is there a cutcone calculator out there ( e.g. feed in the OD, desired length, and number of gores )?

In that picture there is a paper you can download . I will check for a calculator

Blocklayer.com has one and can print full size just cut to 1/6 th of the pattern

Blocklayer.com has one and can print full size just cut to 1/6 th of the pattern
Yeah, I was thinking someone had a tube-to-elliptical cutcone calculator where you finish off with a disc over the star at the top and end up with much lower profile ridges.

Maybe I was misremembering blimp gore.

Sell it. Assuming an unlimited and unchoked supply.

I have considered that. The tubes are not "perfect" but they're pretty great. Biggest issue I've seen is couplers.

My biggest obstacle is transportation from the acquisition site to home. And then there's the idea of shipping it to anyone that isn't local. That'd be an issue.

Last edited:
I have considered that. The tubes are not "perfect" but they're pretty great. Biggest issue I've seen is couplers.

My biggest obstacle is transportation from the acquisition site to home. And then there's the idea of shipping it to anyone that isn't local. That'd be an issue.

You can make a coupler by slotting part of the tube and joining the ends. John Coker has a tutorial.

You can make a coupler by slotting part of the tube and joining the ends. John Coker has a tutorial.

Agreed. I do this for all my hand made fiberglass tubes that don't match anything that is for sale. Usually the mandrel I roll the tube on is heavy cardboard or PVC and not suitable for a coupler.

Back