Estes Saturn V Build Questions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my first post to this forum, as I am a new member. I am currently building the new Estes Saturn V kit, and I have two questions about attaching the fins and fairings to the main body tube. Specifically, I am having trouble getting the fairings to attach in a "flush" manner to the lower first stage wrapper (a vacuum formed plastic part). Even after trimming off the recommended 1/16" of extra "flash" around the fairing perimeters, the fairing does not sit flush on the first stage wrapper, as the ridges on the wrapper still interfere with a flush fit of the fairing. Does anyone have any suggestions, or is this normal? My other question on the fairing is that the curve on the bottom of the fairing (after cutting away the excess plastic) does not match the curve of the main body tube. Again, is this normal, and is my answer to fill the gaps with Squadron Products putty? Thank you for your help!

This is my first post to this forum, as I am a new member. I am currently building the new Estes Saturn V kit, and I have two questions about attaching the fins and fairings to the main body tube. Specifically, I am having trouble getting the fairings to attach in a "flush" manner to the lower first stage wrapper (a vacuum formed plastic part). Even after trimming off the recommended 1/16" of extra "flash" around the fairing perimeters, the fairing does not sit flush on the first stage wrapper, as the ridges on the wrapper still interfere with a flush fit of the fairing. Does anyone have any suggestions, or is this normal? My other question on the fairing is that the curve on the bottom of the fairing (after cutting away the excess plastic) does not match the curve of the main body tube. Again, is this normal, and is my answer to fill the gaps with Squadron Products putty? Thank you for your help!

Welcome!

Check this link out:

https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/search/label/Saturn V

Greg

Hey, that's me!
I am not able to send out the Saturn V build in book form right now, I'm in California
the "book" DropBox connections are on my desktop computer in Florida.
So for now, you can follow the blog build from the finished model to the start by scrolling back.

Chances are you haven't taken enough of the fairing down for a good fit.
Too many builders don't sand enough off. Sand a little and check the fit - repeat again and again.
The fairing will fit and fit well if you take the extra time. Take it slow!
Wrap some sandpaper around the body tube and sand the fairings back and forth against it.

The bottom of the fairing is pretty weak. I ended up adding a cardstock half disk to strengthen it
and cover up any edges that didn't meet at the body tube joint.

Good luck with your build!

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it! I just read many of the steps and tips listed in Chris Michielssen instructions, and man were they ever helpful!! I wish I had joined this forum and read his tips before I began my build! I pretty much butchered the fairings in my attempt to get them to properly "mate", so it looks like I'll be going back to the hoppy store to buy another kit. Normally, I'd be pretty upset about that, but I'm not..I figure I'll just have a good parts box going forward! Thanks again, guys!

I'm glad this was posted. I got this kit a few months ago and was looking for some good build logs. The kit has changed since the last one I built some 40 years ago.

I wish there was a hoppy store near me:)

Good luck with your build, Scott. It really is enjoyable. But use that link to Chris Michielssen's "Build" blog. He did our hobby (hoppy?) a great service by documenting the build so accurately and with so many great tips and photos. I thought the biggest challenge would be placing the vac formed wraps on the body tube because the spray glue sets up so quickly, but it turned out to be not too difficult. My problem was with the fit of the fin fairings which I pretty much butchered on my first attempt. But then I joined this forum and was directed to Chris's build blog; using his tips made it so much easier (and a much, much better "mating" of the fairings to the body tube).

Now then, the masking of the model for painting in a few days from now is sure to be an exercise in patience...I will definitely need a few cold ones from the hoppy store when completed!

I got one of these new released models for Xmas but haven't opened it yet. Need to finish a few major projects around the house first (the never ending basement finishing is one).

About 5 or 6 years ago I built the previous version of the Estes Saturn V and figured out that the black stripes on the inter-stage could easily be masked thanks to raised ridges that go horizontal along the other ridges. Hard to explain here, but it allows you to put on tape without needing to press it down in between the ridges, which would be a serious pain in the butt.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it! I just read many of the steps and tips listed in Chris Michielssen instructions, and man were they ever helpful!! I wish I had joined this forum and read his tips before I began my build! I pretty much butchered the fairings in my attempt to get them to properly "mate", so it looks like I'll be going back to the hoppy store to buy another kit. Normally, I'd be pretty upset about that, but I'm not..I figure I'll just have a good parts box going forward! Thanks again, guys!

Save the other parts to build a matching Saturn 1B!!

Back