Luke Stawwalker -- ol JR. ----- anybody know where he went?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He is active on YORF. I don't remember why he left here. WOW, there is an echo in here:)

I think a lot of the "old timers" have gone, for one reason or another. The forum doesn't feel the same to me as it did 2 or 3 years ago. It's not as active, for one thing.

I think a lot of the "old timers" have gone, for one reason or another. The forum doesn't feel the same to me as it did 2 or 3 years ago. It's not as active, for one thing.

It is the nature of forums. They get larger, they get smaller, people come and go, and forum open and close.

There was Rocketry Online, it opened, it was sold twice, and closed.

There was Rocketry Planet which opened, grew a lot, shrunk some, the owner died, a small group of guys tried to pick up the pieces but ultimately shuttered it.

There is TRF. Grew under original owner, crashed badly but was recovered, sold twice, and has people leaving.

Point is this- these forums and hobbies in general are likely temporary. I predict that eventually TRF will also go away. I predict people will come and go until that happens. This the way of things.

Luke returned to Dagobah to complete...

His Jedi training with Yoda...

It is taking longer than planned...

Oh, and he got fed up...

With the namby pamby's...

Crying, whining, and running...

To the mods because they...

Were "OFFENDED"...

What a bunch of wimps...

This planet has become...

When he gets back from Dagobah...

He is going to use his newly honed Jedi skillz...

To kick some serious azz...:cool:

It is several light years...

Away from Tatooine...

In the Dagobah system...

You would need to use...

Google Dagobah...

As in banned forever.

Nope. He chose to leave since he refused to adhere to TRF rules. Ironic thing is that on one of the forums he "moved" to, that one runs a mostly tighter ship these days than TRF does. Whatever. :eyeroll:

If he'd been banned on TRF, then right under his name on old posts you'd see his status was "Time Out", but it is not.

For example check out any post by "SaturnV" of Bulgaria, many trolling message and even some outright racist ones. He was banned and his status is "Time Out".

So in other words, he was offended by the rules and by all those getting offended by his posts and left.

:facepalm:

When the new owners updated the TOS to own all posts, It chased away a ton of quality posters..... As forums go, this one is crashing, and I don't see hope for a resurgence. The owners don't give a hoot if it dies. Its so embedded in engines it'll pull ad money for another decade if it was locked down

"Luke" and I had a lot of conversations about this forum and I remember that his biggest issue, and the reason he left, was because of the ads. He felt like the ads were unacceptable and yet was unwilling to take a few simple steps to install ABP on his computer which results in ALL the ads going away.

His reasons for not doing it included things like, "Why should I have to make changes to get rid of something that should never be here to begin with?" He wouldn't go to all the effort of installing ABP, but was willing to write lots of very long paragraphs about why it would take too much time and he shouldn't have to.

I never agreed with him on this, or understood his point of view, but was sad to see him go. He used to have a lot of good things to contribute about rocket building.

When he left for good to go to YORF I hung out over there from time to time but didn't see much to keep me. The builds were mainly older rockets that I wasn't interested in and the off topic area was irritating discussions. Instead of insisting that they change to suit my interests, I just stopped going there.

"Luke" and I had a lot of conversations about this forum and I remember that his biggest issue, and the reason he left, was because of the ads. He felt like the ads were unacceptable and yet was unwilling to take a few simple steps to install ABP on his computer which results in ALL the ads going away.

His reasons for not doing it included things like, "Why should I have to make changes to get rid of something that should never be here to begin with?" He wouldn't go to all the effort of installing ABP, but was willing to write lots of very long paragraphs about why it would take too much time and he shouldn't have to.

I never agreed with him on this, or understood his point of view, but was sad to see him go. He used to have a lot of good things to contribute about rocket building.

When he left for good to go to YORF I hung out over there from time to time but didn't see much to keep me. The builds were mainly older rockets that I wasn't interested in and the off topic area was irritating discussions. Instead of insisting that they change to suit my interests, I just stopped going there.

So my initial assessment was wrong...

To summarize, he can't handle change.

:facepalm:

When the new owners updated the TOS to own all posts, It chased away a ton of quality posters..... As forums go, this one is crashing, and I don't see hope for a resurgence. The owners don't give a hoot if it dies. Its so embedded in engines it'll pull ad money for another decade if it was locked down

Unfortunately, this forum is still the best rocketry forum out there, at least that I know of. Rocketry Central is even less active. It didn't catch on at all.

What is "ABP"? I don't mind the ads so much, I know they need to generate capitol to keep the forum going. But the new ads with sound (movie trailers and such) really annoy me. For one thing they scare the heck out of me whenever the music starts without warning. It seems like these ads are always at the bottom of the page and I don't see them until the bedlam starts.

Unfortunately, this forum is still the best rocketry forum out there, at least that I know of. Rocketry Central is even less active. It didn't catch on at all.

It is. It's so big now that anyone new winds up here. Without new people coming in, any new forums die fast. People bemoan rookies who don't search and ask the same questions over and over...but thats the lifeblood of a forum that keeps things going. But, the other component to that is keeping regulars around, and keeping them posting new material too. There's some of that going on, but nothing like there used to be. Industry types are still around here, but all seem much more guarded in what they post here. its like "yea we're still here and trying to engage, but all the real info is on our Facebook pages"

It's not the best place to be...but it's where everyone is.

I forgot that it was the Ads that he left about.

I added Ad Block Plus for this reason, and am SO GLAD I did. I came to realize so many OTHER websites were so infested with ads, not say three obvious ones per page, I mean sometimes ABP shows me it is blocking say 47 (Forty-seven!) ads! Many of them small but those page took so long to load, they load faster as a result.

So, it's almost like getting a "free system upgrade".

By stubbornly refusing to do it, that's like refusing to add a free system upgrade that can make surfing the web go faster, which requires trivial memory and IIRC took about 1-2 minutes to do.

But, whatever.

Some folks still surf the web using Netscape Navigator too.....

netscape_start.png

Nope. He chose to leave since he refused to adhere to TRF rules. Ironic thing is that on one of the forums he "moved" to, that one runs a mostly tighter ship these days than TRF does. Whatever. :eyeroll:

If he'd been banned on TRF, then right under his name on old posts you'd see his status was "Time Out", but it is not.

For example check out any post by "SaturnV" of Bulgaria, many trolling message and even some outright racist ones. He was banned and his status is "Time Out".

That's not the way I remember it. I recall you two were going at it and strawwalker unloaded on you like a p.o.'d high schooler. He got the boot for that outburst.

Back