xxx

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wrapped in bath towels and seatbelted into the reclined passenger seat of my beatup Hyundai Tiburon.... I need to get a truck.

For LPR, if I'm bringing several of them, I'll place them gently in a large cardboard box with larger ones on bottom and tape it shut. Keeps them all together and safe from falling over around a tight turn. For the large ones, I'll just place them in the bed of my truck. Having a truck helps a LOT.

Here, I found a pic. To the right you can see the cardboard box safely containing several rockets and whatnot, and the MPR/HPR just lay in back with a rolled up tarp for a cushion.

Last edited:
The bigger they are the more difficult they get to transport safely
without getting any hanger rash...
With that obvious tidbit said I basically do the same as you Michael..
But after the marks of a few flights I stop trying to keep them pristine looking....

Teddy

I have an SUV, so the larger/heavier (MPR/HPR) rockets get nested together on the bottom with bubble wrap snaking between them (sometimes). Lighter MPR and large LPR go on top with a light blanket over them for stability. Smaller LPR rockets go in either a plastic tote or printer paper boxes with lids.
I too am looking at a long (6-8+ hour) ride to LDRS, so I may have to pack a little differently than usual.

I've used tubular stockinette with good success. It's not padded, but it does help prevent scratches. It comes in several diameters. If the fins are too big, i'll wrap them in a blanket or old t-shirt.

213_stockinette.jpg

If the car (Subaru Outback) isn't too packed I just lay them out in the back with the seats down. I use old comforters to cushion them and will sometimes layer LPR rockets on top of the HPR ones.

For one rocket I had to build a crate and buy a trailer...

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1490234154.303191.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1490234177.730899.jpg

toss 'em in

10259998_10152403326370856_5153697956026212809_n.jpg

28810263786_73ae78bd10_z.jpg

I have a very large tote that my rockets will fit in. So far I don't have anything massive though. I have an old egg crate foam mattress pad layered with the rockets. Heavier ones on bottom. Toss the tote in the back of the truck or SUV. But come September when the Tyrannosaur is finally ready to fly, I will have to come up with something else, It wont fit in the tote.

Ordinarily I pack my rockets on top of the equipment on a couple of towels. For my L3 I decided to have some fun and sewed a canvas bag to protect the beautiful paint job. It was fun driving it through o the launch site on the cars racks and was a great attention getter.
94701871d70af634c3519898d925900b.jpg

Wrapped in bath towels and seatbelted into the reclined passenger seat of my beatup Hyundai Tiburon.... I need to get a truck.

You will soon wonder how you ever lived without one.

You will soon wonder how you ever lived without one.
Well, the most exciting part for me will be not having to plan a couple of days' prework before renting or borrowing; not having to rush the return, hurry the unload, shortcut the project, etc. Think thing, do thing, take a break whenever.

I use cardboard boxes, often the ones that rockets come in. Cut off the top, notch out the sides if necessary. Usually lay booster side-by-side with coupler thru NC. Boxes go side by side and on top of table, chairs, toolboxes, etc.

Ordinarily I pack my rockets on top of the equipment on a couple of towels. For my L3 I decided to have some fun and sewed a canvas bag to protect the beautiful paint job. It was fun driving it through o the launch site on the cars racks and was a great attention getter.
94701871d70af634c3519898d925900b.jpg

This is what I have thought about doing...strapping them to my roof rack, but was worried about undue attention from law enforcement? Any issues?

This is what I have thought about doing...strapping them to my roof rack, but was worried about undue attention from law enforcement? Any issues?

Unless there were an APB out on someone transporting ballistic missiles on the roof of an SUV, I can't imagine they would bat an eye. They could only pull you over for breaking a law, and what law would you have broken, exactly?

not a peep... including going through immigration checkpoints. I was careful although when parking at the (computer) regional datacenter co-location facilities to park with rocket facing away from center so as not to alarm anyone.

Seeing what looks like a pvc pipe inside of a larger rocket in Gary's trailer, I have received rocket-transport inspiration. Will no repair to the hardware store to do some pricing.

I built a pair of grids which I hang inside my trailer. Rockets pass through both grids. I would do a better job next time and I would put a couple solid spacers between the two frames to keep them from swinging out of sync. When they swing separately they pull the long rockets apart or allow the short rockets to work their way out.
a7906b0292c5d1b70fec79602fc5b87c.jpg

Steve Shannon

Load all of the camping gear in the back of the van and pile the rockets on top, with moving blankets in between. I don't paint them nicely enough to worry about printing textures into the paint. Back when I was improving rocket storage, I tried to get the Holy Grail of a storage solution that would also work as a shipping solution, but no dice.

Visit a thrift store and score a few older sleeping bags. Great padding and ya never know when a nap is necessary. Holiday wrapping paper storage containers for the smaller ones, larger totes for the bigger ones.

The rockets that travel to launches with me are packed in a trailer. 4 and 5 inch diameter rockets go on padded ladder racks bolted to the 3 available side's of the trailer for a total of 6 spots. Larger rockets are wrapped up in blankets and loaded on the floor. Mid power and Estes are stowed in long plastic totes with foam between layers.

Back