Fillets that look like welding

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redleder

Reaction score
I know fillets that look smooth are cool and all, but I kind of like the look of a good weld bead on metal. Anyone know of good techniques for doing this with glue or epoxy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Use something thick like TB M&T (NRND). Lay it down with a proper welding motion & it should stay put.

Or, if your using Rocketpoxy or Proline 4500, when the resin gets to the stiff stage when you would normally pull your fillets smooth, use a little motion and it should make a pattern. Probably take a little practice. I agree, it would probably look cool. Especially if you were doing a steampunk model...

This is the approach I would probably use, at least on a larger bird. On a smaller one, it could work, but too much effort in most cases.

First make a paper or cardstock connector, or mask off an area around where the fillet will be (to simulate the area around the weld that gets oxidized and raised, no idea what it's called) and put glue or something into it. Peel off tape after the glue thickens enough to keep shape.

Then cut or punch out some cardstock or thick paper circles.

Lay down a fillet, probably with thick glue.

Glue the bottoms of the paper disks and lay (overlapping) onto joint.

Sand to round edges some and slightly fill in the crevices with a small amount of wood glue or CWF or something. Also to finish the beginning and end of the weld.

I dont think the pattern can be pulled because the beads are oriented so the round part overlaps the previous bead rather than there being a round indentation. With enough skill, it could likely be made to work, but not here.
I hope to try this out soon. Thanks for the idea!

Alternatively you might be able to find fabric or something to simulate weaved beads or even the normaller kind to lay on top of a normal fillet.

A stirring/swirling motion while the epoxy is still semi liquid but wont settle too much would probably give the proper effect. Stirrer could be a bamboo skewer.

I think I would put thickened epoxy in a syringe and do a back and forth motion.

I might even try doing a normal fillet and when it is dry use paintable caulk in a syringe. Use the same back and forth method.

I wish I could describe the motion better.

Maybe lay a weld on metal, then create a silicone mold of it that you press into the epoxy and let it dry.

If you use a combination of a thixotropic agent like fumed silica and a filler like microballoons you should be able to do the pattern when you lay it down when it's still wet. The silica will keep the epoxy from slumping. I've been using 10/5/.3 epoxy/filler/silica ratio and it's been working out good.

Maybe balls of epoxy clay pressed into place over a prexisting fillet and smoothed?

Agreed, I think it will take a few attempts, but laying down some epoxy and letting firm up just a bit and then doing some sort of tamp or pull technique will probably give me a close enough effect. Now I just need a new bigger rocket to try this on. I just got one of my daughters a mini cowabunga, that I might be able to experiment on.

I've seen plenty that looked like welding, but I don't think it was on purpose

Or, if your using Rocketpoxy or Proline 4500, when the resin gets to the stiff stage when you would normally pull your fillets smooth, use a little motion and it should make a pattern. Probably take a little practice. I agree, it would probably look cool. Especially if you were doing a steampunk model...

This is possible, but boy, you'd have to have perfect timing so you had no stickiness fairly deep into the cured surface.

I'd probably go with epoxy clay and roll out little extended football shapes then lay into fin joint and tamp down carefully.

This is possible, but boy, you'd have to have perfect timing so you had no stickiness fairly deep into the cured surface.

I'd probably go with epoxy clay and roll out little extended football shapes then lay into fin joint and tamp down carefully.

That is a great idea too. Thanks. Keep'em coming.

Back