Getting back into the hobby in Maryland. Need a launch spot

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your best bet is to join a club. NARHAMS is a great low/mid-power club. If you don't mind an hour drive and prefer a much bigger field, MDRA is a low-, mid-. and high-power club.

Thanks for responding but I'm not looking to join a club at this time just
looking for a nice open field and was wondering where other Marylanders launched

When I lived in MD I flew my low power rockets at a local park with a bunch of athletic fields. The park had a sign at the entrance listing all of the prohibited activities which included launching model rockets, but that didn't deter me. But after losing several rockets in the surrounding woods I decided to join MDRA. That was several years ago and since then I have made lots of new friends and gotten a whole lot more enjoyment out of rocketry than I ever could have launching rockets by myself at a ball field. So I hope you reconsider joining a club. You won't regret it.

A lot of MD counties prohibit launching in parks. The NARHAMS launches in Greenbelt, Mt. Airy, and Westminster are all open and free to the public.

NARHAMS membership is $5.00 a year, but if that is too steep, as noted above, launches are free to anyone. Members just get an extra hour or two to fly before non-members get the opportunity.

MDRA does have an annual $25.00 membership fee plus $10.00 per weekend to launch.

I have launched here and here on my own, but you are at the mercy of sports teams, and the schedules aren't posted anywhere that I know of.

welcome to the forum orye!
how bout yer back yard?
recovery spot, otoh.... :)

hope ya find a place to do both out that way.

I live in Montgomery County Maryland, and I fly with MDRA, Tripoli Central Virginia, and occasionally NOVAARS.

Additionally, I fly at a local school, with TARC and the Cub Scouts.

A lot of MD counties prohibit launching in parks. The NARHAMS launches in Greenbelt, Mt. Airy, and Westminster are all open and free to the public.
Problem with that is, is that they usually do weekends and as a self employed blue collar guy I work most weekends, besides, I want to launch when I want to launch. I just need a field or even a big empty parking lot.

I live in a town home community. The recovery spot will be someone's roof, I'm sure.

Oh that's nice, I'm right by columbia. I used to launch at a farm field when I was a kid but sadly houses are built their now.

Back