Vintage Estes 1368 Comet build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCIGS30

Reaction score
I know this is a easy boring build for most, but for me it is a vintage Estes kit so it will be fun. Also I need something easy since the next week or so is going to be busy and I still have to get through my stack of vintage kits.

DSC_0268 (1280x851).jpg

Looking forward to this!

Please scan the fins, decals and the instructions.

All The Best!

Ooh, look at all those individual Star decals! Applying those will be fun for sure! But nothing a little Micro-Sol can't help with. :wink:

Trust me, I saw the Star decals and thought the same thing. I will no longer be using Micro Scale products on my old decals, my last build one of my decals wrinkled and cracked. I used Testors solution on the rest of the decals with no issues so that is what I will be using in the future. Micro Scale products work great on my newer and Alps printed decals.
I forgot to take pictures of the built model and I am bummed because that is the best part for me, bare balsa, card board all put together. With the old yellowing parts it really has a nostalgia feel about it. I once again used Brodak sealer and once again I am impressed with the smoothness of the balsa. I shot a coat of cheap non filler grey primer and she is ready for the top coats of Old Krylon Blue. I had to use my cell phone for the pictures. Painting may wait a few days since we are expecting rain.

IMG_1359 (960x1280).jpg

IMG_1364 (1280x960).jpg

I have her all painted with Old formula Krylon will begin applying the individual Star Decals tomorrow. Can I just say.......I love this Brodak balsa sealer....
Also I am working on another 1970s Monogram kit.

DSC_0270 (1280x851).jpg

DSC_0280 (1280x1276).jpg

DSC_0282 (1280x851).jpg

DSC_0287 (1280x978).jpg

I finished applying the star decals using Testors decal solutions with good results. I took some up close pictures of the balsa fins treated with just 4 coats of Brodak sealer, no grain to be seen and no other fillers used. I just ordered a 16oz can of the balsa sealer, has anyone else ordered any?

DSC_0267 (1023x1280).jpg

DSC_0282 (1280x851).jpg

DSC_0284 (1280x851).jpg

Aerogloss is all I have ever used, but Midwest is no longer making it. The Brodak sealer reminds me of the old Pactra Aerogloss sealer, somewhere along the line Midwest changed the formula.

I finished applying the star decals using Testors decal solutions with good results. I took some up close pictures of the balsa fins treated with just 4 coats of Brodak sealer, no grain to be seen and no other fillers used. I just ordered a 16oz can of the balsa sealer, has anyone else ordered any?

That really turned out great! And your fin fillets are perfect!

I've still got two full bottles of Aerogloss Balsa Filler, but as soon as I open the last one, I'll be ordering some Brodak.

Back