Pink Hornet scratch build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qquake2k

Captain Low-N-Slow
Reaction score
A few years ago, I was toying with upscaling the 2030 version of the Estes Hornet. I started a discussion thread at the time about the difficulty of using rail buttons with the design. I have resurrected it, and with some design changes, have started the build. The biggest design change is to reduce the total number of fins from 10 to 6. For one thing, that will eliminate the challenge of using rail buttons. For another thing, it will be easier.

I named it the Pink Hornet, because I was planning on painting it black and fluorescent pink. But as I was playing around with the colors, I decided that I like fluorescent pink and green. It will be built with two sections of LOC 3.1" tubing, one 12" and one 34". At first I was planning on using the 12" section as a payload bay. But I have since decided to make it zipperless, with the 12" section housing the motor tube and baffles.

View attachment Hornet_upscale.ork

View attachment Hornet_upscale_quarter.ork

View attachment Pink Hornet baffle.ork

pink-green-screenshot01.jpg

pink-green-screenshot02.jpg

A week ago or so, I started on the coupler with a bulkhead for the first design.

000a.jpg

000b.jpg

000c.jpg

000d.jpg

000e.jpg

000f.jpg

000g.jpg

But when I decided to switch to zipperless, I needed a coupler with a baffle plate instead of a bulkhead. My frugal side demanded that I use the bulkhead coupler somehow. It was easy enough to print out a guide to mark the hole positions, and drill 3/8" holes in the bulkhead. Voila! Bulkhead turned into a baffle! But I was concerned about the reduced strength of the bulkhead after drilling the holes in it. So I decided to double it up. I made another bulkhead, and epoxied it to the back of the baffle plate. I used an acid brush to smear epoxy all over the back of the second bulkhead, and the nut. After all the epoxy has set, I'll redrill the holes.

007.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

010.JPG

011.JPG

015.JPG

016.JPG

017.JPG

018.JPG

Because of the epoxy fillet on the underside of the baffle plate, I cut a chamfer on the bulkhead doubler so it would snug up against the baffle.

012.JPG

013.JPG

014.JPG

I can vouch for the fluoro pink and green color combo.

Years ago when I competed in AMA Free Flight, my flying colors were flo pink and green...Because the pink stands out all year long and the green shows up well during the golden brown days of summer. Both colors are easily spotted on the desert sand flying venues as well.

Got the fin templates cut out and the plywood marked, and started cutting them on the bandsaw.

024.JPG

025.JPG

026.JPG

027.JPG

028oops.JPG

029.JPG

As usual, I pinned the fin blanks together to cut them at the same time, and match sand them. I rounded the leading edges, and also cut the 29mm motor tube to length.

030.JPG

031.JPG

032.JPG

033.JPG

034.JPG

035.JPG

036.JPG

Got the motor mount epoxied into the aft body tube, and the half moon baffles into the motor tube.

037.JPG

038.JPG

039.JPG

040.JPG

041.JPG

042.JPG

Got the fin slots cut. Looks like I'll need to sand the fin tabs a bit.

043.JPG

044.JPG

Really like the looks of this rocket.The color combo sure is different.It will look great in the air!

Got the fin slots cut. Looks like I'll need to sand the fin tabs a bit.
Better to sand to fit than the other way around. Always cut my fin tangs a bit oversize after a bad experience with some that were cut too short.

School of hard knocks. LOL!

You can easily sand the bottom of the fins on either side of the tab, effectively making the tabs longer.

Got the fins epoxied on. Had to do a little wrangling to use the fin guide with the six fins.

045.JPG

046.JPG

047.JPG

048.JPG

049.JPG

050.JPG

051.JPG

052.JPG

053.JPG

054.JPG

I applied the external fillets. I needed a bulkhead for the forward body tube, so I used 3/8" plywood. I'll need one for an upcoming build, so I made a second one while I was at it.

063.JPG

064.JPG

065.JPG

066.JPG

067.JPG

068.JPG

069.JPG

070.JPG

You know, I'm not sure anybody is reading this thread. But just in case, I'll keep going. I epoxied the coupler into the aft section. I needed to put the forward bulkhead 8" into the forward body tube. So I used a length of plastic pipe and two couplers to keep it straight and set the depth. I also put the Estes retainer onto the motor tube with JB Weld.

071.JPG

072.JPG

073.JPG

074.JPG

075.JPG

076.JPG

077.JPG

078.JPG

Got the rail buttons installed. I like these low profile buttons from Wildman. They're countersunk, so you can use flathead screws.

079.JPG

080.JPG

082.JPG

083.JPG

084.JPG

085.JPG

086.JPG

089.JPG

090.JPG

LUNAR has one old Black Sky rail, that has less clearance than the 1010 rails. I've had problems with standard rail buttons with button head screws fitting in it.

Sprayed sanding sealer on the fins and sanded them. I love that little sander! I've used it on a lot of rockets. After sanding, I sprayed on the primer. I had taped the two body tubes together when I epoxied the fins on, and it tore off a little of the very top layer. I think some primer and sanding will fix it. I also had to sand out the end of the motor tube with the Dremel.

095.JPG

096.JPG

097.JPG

098.JPG

100.JPG

103.JPG

I'm not happy with the paint. It's hard to see in the photos, but in person it looks splotchy. I've applied four coats, but I just can't get it to look good. Plus, I should have primered the aft section, the pencil lines are visible through the pink. I might primer over the pink, and reshoot it. The nose cone doesn't look too bad, I sanded it; wiped it with alcohol; applied two coats of primer; and sprayed on the pink. I'm hoping the clear coat will help, but I don't think it will. I'm half tempted to go with regular paint, instead of the fluorescent.

104.JPG

106.JPG

110.JPG

117.JPG

118.JPG

119.JPG

120.JPG

122.JPG

123.JPG

I might go with dark green or another color along with the pink. Any suggestions?

black.png

blue.png

dark green.png

Back