Backing up data from Altimeter 3 on iPhone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BDB

Absent Minded Professor
Reaction score
I need to erase my iPhone (it's a long story), and I don't want to loose the flight data from my Altimeter 3 app. Does anyone know how to back these data up and then import them into the app after I initialize my phone?

I would do two things. I'd back my phone up either to iCloud or the computer before doing the reset. I would also take screenshots of each flight that I wanted to save the info for. I'd email those screenshots to myself just in case the backup didn't work. They're screenshots but at least I have the graphs of my flights.

If you restore your phone from iTunes that will restore all apps and their data. Is that an option for you?

Maybe John will chime in. I don't know of any way (other than a backup of your phone as others have suggested) to do directly what you want. Personally, I'd back the iPhone up to my Mac via iTunes as I think that's a more complete backup than iCloud's and it is MUCH faster to restore.

But of course you can also email the flight results to yourself (share button on each flight summary page) and get the full-flight graph, the .xls spreadsheet with the data and the flight summary in your email wherever you send it. And there is the "email flight log" from the settings screen. This is NOT all the data but it is a great summary, also in .xls format, that includes the key data points from each flight.

But after saving the data that way I don't know how you'd get it back into where the A3 app sees it.

Either iTunes on your computer, or iCloud. Either should work, but iTunes is likely faster.

Technically, you can do both.

Unfortunately backing up isn't an option. The phone is going to have to be wiped clean and restored to factory conditions. I'll probably just export the data to excel . I'll just have to revel in my favorite flights that way.

Last edited:
Unfortunately backing up isn't an option. The phone is going to have to be wiped clean and restored to factory conditions. I'll probably just export the data to excel . I'll just have to revel in my favorite flights that way.

Even though the phone needs to be wiped clean and restored to factory settings, you can still back it up to iTunes. I've had to do it myself several times. Unless of course the computer doesn't recognize the phone when it's plugged in. Is that the case?

It is still recognized. We were going to restore it to factory settings using iTunes, so maybe I can pull this off.

You can. Plug it in and back it up. The backup will have the date and time attached. Once the backup is complete, restore to factory settings. It'll ask you if you want to restore from a backup or if you want to set up as a new phone. Tell it to restore from the last backup and you'll get all of your data that you want and the phone will be up to date as far as software version, minus any bugs that may have been causing issues. I think you'll be good to go. Good luck!

It is still recognized. We were going to restore it to factory settings using iTunes, so maybe I can pull this off.

The backup has nothing to do with the physical phone- that is the point. Back it up, get new phone, restore the data to new phone. Then wipe the old one.

Back