Could someone please identify this motor?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Arrived today and it appears to be a G64 reload with an extra igniter. At least it seems to be identical to two other G64s that came with the purchase. Except one small difference, see attached, the propellant in the mystery package (the one on the right) has a narrower slot than the others. Does that suggest it is not a G64?

2 reloads.jpg

Looks like a G64 reload, what happened is do to being opened up and exposed to humidity is the grain swelled. You could take a fingernail file and open the slot back up enough to get an igniter in and it will be good to go.

Also on all the older WL loads with the white speckles/ oxidation, take either a nail file or some 60/80 grit sandpaper and take a few strokes to the forward end of the slot (where the igniter rests) to clean it up a bit. I go about an inch in. Do that just before assembly, will not have problems igniting them then.

Do not fly that load in anything you care about. Best use in saucer,where delay time does not matter.

Problem lies with " chuffing" on pad or inability to light/come up to pressure quickly. During this phenomenon, the delay continues to burn. After several tries you have a very short delay time & ejection charge may go off while rocket under full thrust.....gets ugly.

Some times the motor may chuff, just as rocket clears the rod/rail, losing pressure, causing rocket to slow and change direction violently, then come back up to full thrust going horizontal or whatever direction rocket took during the chuff.

Yes you can enlarge the slot, cut off/sand the swollen end to fit,but in the end,you have an "iffy" motor. I have had many over the years ......some worked....others did not horribly. Now I use them in saucer 's where no damage can be done.

Then again it may fly perfectly....just letting you know from experience [15-20 old G-motor flown] it's a crap shoot, with no guarantee's.

Back