Nike X by Estes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjp

Reaction score
I went to my local Hobby Lobby looking for a Nike X kit.They did not have any or even a spot for one.I'm very disappointed that they have reduced the amount of kits they have carried in the past.Anyone had success finding this kit in their Hobby Lobby?The kit was released last month.

My local HL seems to run in "seasonal" cycles, every so often they drop several kits and add several more. The Nike Smoke 1.6" took several months to arrive after it was released.

I was looking at that kit.They just don't carry as many different kits as before.Really a shame because of the 40% off coupon.Would love a Little Joe kit but don't think I'll ever see it there.

I don't think they'll carry it.They had the Redstone or I should say a spot for it as they were out of stock.The other one near me had the Redstone but I was there in late Jan., before the release of the Nike X.I was hoping to get it with the 40% off coupon.That would have been around $16.I want to build it with my grandson on the weekend when we're over there baby sitting.He enjoys building kits with me.

we do have a club member who will ask members what they want and order enough to get free shipping.But that's only a few times a year.

I saw it at my local HobbyTown USA on Tuesday, but I wouldn't expect Hobby Lobby to have it yet. From what I've seen at HL, their stock is usually very limited and they don't rotate in new product very often. Maybe quarterly, but I think less.

Hobby Lobby updates there selection of product only twice a year but that doesn't mean they will be rotating their product if it is selling well.

John Boren

I was looking at that kit.They just don't carry as many different kits as before.Really a shame because of the 40% off coupon.Would love a Little Joe kit but don't think I'll ever see it there.

You probably were looking at the Stow or Macedonia location. I was out at Montrose today. They do not have the Nike X, but they do have the Nike Smoke 1/10 scale kit. They had the Little Joe back around Christmas, but no spot for it now.

If this is basically the same kit that Estes had in the 1970s, it can be built and flown as a two stager. I had one in which I cut the body tub right below the smaller set of fins, added a stage coupler and the appropriate engine mounts. The upper stage was flown with an 18mm engine and the first stage was boosted by a D engine using gap staging. It worked fine, was very stable, and was very impressive in flight. I might have to go grab one of these kits and build a re-do of one of my old fleet!

You probably were looking at the Stow or Macedonia location. I was out at Montrose today. They do not have the Nike X, but they do have the Nike Smoke 1/10 scale kit. They had the Little Joe back around Christmas, but no spot for it now.
I was by there today as I thought about doing my rehab walking at the Summit Mall but the parking lot around the mall was to full for my liking.I do go to the Stow location.I see that your a club member MTMA.Good to you another member on the forum.I was in the Montrose store around a month ago looking and again the selection isn't what they use to have a few years back.

Well to my surprise a package arrived at my door this morning.It was from Tower Hobbies.I knew right away who sent it.I've been blessed to have such a great friend.Thank you Jim.My grandson Luke is going to love it.When I found out Hobby Lobby did not have it I decided to wait until I got back to work in a few weeks.Had my second knee replacement Dec. 2nd and had been rehabbing it.Thank you again my friend.:)qquake2k,I could not have a better friend!

Back