Help Support RocketryForum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question What? Editing is blocked? Why?

I was going to make a change to one of my own threads, and now I can't edit it.

Sew mis pellin ererz cannut b fxd.

What gives?

[EDIT] Mind you, this was on my .ork files thread.

Dreaming of making the rockets I dreamed of as a kid (and then some).

NAR L1 Cert flight: Sheridan, Oregon, USA. Sept. 19, 2015. Flew Deep Space OFFl on an I357T-14A Blue Thunder

Let me try to edit something.
    Edit: It worked!
    Second edit: note that I am using the Tapatalk app since I am at work, rather than my PC browser

Thou shalt not violate causality within my historic light cone. Or Else.
    NAR member 92906

I found I couldn't upload a picture today. Had to use "Manage Attachments." Somebody "upgrade" something?

John S. ---- NAR #96911 ---- TRA #15253 ---- MDRA #067 ---- BARC #028
    L1, 3/15/14: Aerotech Sumo, CTI H133BS
    L2, 6/21/14: Giant Leap Vertical Assault, CTI J240RL
    L3, 3/12/16: MAC Performance Radial Flyer, CTI M1101WH
    Altitude: 13,028', L3 flight; Speed: Mach ???, L3 flight

Looks like the oldest posts (from the first to the 364th post) are the ones affected in my .ork files thread. I wanted to update some info, add an image, and do some tweaking to the index, and now I can't.

NAR L1 Cert flight: Sheridan, Oregon, USA. Sept. 19, 2015. Flew Deep Space OFFl on an I357T-14A Blue Thunder

Still can't Edit older posts... I kinda need to if I'm to be able to update my OpenRocket files thread.

I REALLY! REALLY!! REALLY!!! need to update my .ork files thread...

Anyone?
    Anyone?
    Anyone?

Why not a targeted PM to one of these folks ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TRF admins 2017MAR.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	314688

Except troj. He's long gone.

I have checked your settings and your member classification does have the 'edit own posts' feature turned on. How long ago were the posts you want to edit posted? Or can you give me a link to your thread and what post range, I'll be happy to look at them and see if I can see why you are not able to edit.

Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    I have checked your settings and your member classification does have the 'edit own posts' feature turned on. How long ago were the posts you want to edit posted? Or can you give me a link to your thread and what post range, I'll be happy to look at them and see if I can see why you are not able to edit.
    Hi Angie,

My OpenRocket files, starting from post #1 to post #364 cannot be edited... Looks like all my posts older than two weeks or so have been altered to prevent editing.

http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthr...enRocket-files

I'm going to have to look at various things. I think in the 4 years there may have been one or two server changes that the forum runs on. That may be the issue.

I'll have to think on this a little bit, poke around and look at some things to see if I can make it happen.

I'll let you know how things are going.

Can any member edit one of their own posts any time before a posting date of Feb 7, 2017? We are trying to track down K'Tesh's issue, and Admin can edit the post he cannot. Moderator can edit, also. Now any registered member should have editing their own post ability as that is checked yes in the settings.

If one or two of you can try it and report here, it would be appreciated.

K'tesh, can you try editing on one of your other threads/posts before the Feb 7, date? That will also help tell if it's all of your posts or just that thread.

Thanks

I don't even see the 'Edit Post' button on my threads before that date. But I do on ones after.
    Charles McGonegal
    Ciderwright at AeppelTreow Winery & Distillery
    www.appletrue.com
    NAR #103560 L1 6/25/17 Estes Leviathan CTI H175-SS
    Ad Astra Tabernamque!

Same here, no editing button on older threads. Zoinks.

Confirmed here too. If you make a new post on an old thread, you can edit that, FAIW.
    Dick Stafford
    The member formerly known as the Pointy-Haired Moderator.
    The Original Rocket Dungeon
    Volunteer compiler of product news for ROCKETS Magazine

Feb13 seems to be the magic "no edit button" cutoff date for me.

Hi Angie,

The problem exists in other older posts.

Thanks for all those that tried and gave feed back. Now I have explicit information to give to tech to see if something was reset on the servers at the Feb timeframe.

for me it is Feb 12 2017 & earlier that do not give me the option of editing.
    Rex
    L2-competitor 3, AT J350W, 8/27/2016, Bong, 2557'
    my youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0gB...?feature=watch

I can't delete my posts. Is this related, a separate issue, or by design?

You cannot delete your posts, as this is a way of threads being disrupted. The mods and admins can delete spam posts or posts with a decent reason for the deletion.

I have not found the reason for the mid February date of no editing. K'Tesh, I'm trying to figure out a solution for you on your thread. The only thing I can think of right now is to copy the post you wish to edit and then make the corrections with a note at the bottom that's it's corrected. If you do that, let me know and I can insert a small, see post #??? for an update.

Angie

Up until the last few weeks or so we've been able to delete our posts. What prompted this new policy?

You cannot delete your posts, as this is a way of threads being disrupted. The mods and admins can delete spam posts or posts with a decent reason for the deletion.

I have not found the reason for the mid February date of no editing. K'Tesh, I'm trying to figure out a solution for you on your thread. The only thing I can think of right now is to copy the post you wish to edit and then make the corrections with a note at the bottom that's it's corrected. If you do that, let me know and I can insert a small, see post #??? for an update.

Angie
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteNumber2 View Post
    Up until the last few weeks or so we've been able to delete our posts. What prompted this new policy?
    Angie I must agree with the Coyote on this; the delete post function was available (and useful IMHO). Not being able to do so IS a change in the operation of this place.

Yeah, I ran across the problem of not being able to delete posts yesterday. I had posted an animated GIF in the LOL thread that only ran once and did not repeat, so wanted to remove the whole post. And ended up accidentally duplicating the post, two messages. Ended up finding a couple of other images to post in each instead, but I'd rather have deleted at least one if not both messages.

Well, at least now I know this is a real problem. I was wondering if I was thinking of a different forum where I could delete messages, and not this one. Otherwise it's been a long time since i'd deleted a post.

As for threads being disrupted if a post was deleted, that's still easy to do. The author can just change whatever they wrote, to something entirely different (an even worse disruption), or simply just replace what they wrote with two words: "message deleted". At least that is a viable option until someone quotes that message before they change it.

Contest flying, Sport flying, it's all good.....
    2016 Bike Mileage total: 1843 miles. 5 Miles a day for the year!

Angie
    Angie, will you please address what prompted the change in users being allowed to delete their posts?

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteNumber2 View Post
    Angie, will you please address what prompted the change in users being allowed to delete their posts?
    In her message that you just quoted, she just said that she doesn't know and she's trying to discover what caused it.
    Blessings,

John
    NAR#87984
    L1 - Airfest - September 6, 2015

It can't be my second childhood, I haven't finished my first one yet.

"If I were giving a young man advice as to how he might succeed in life, I would say to him, Pick out a good father and mother, and begin life in Ohio." - Wilbur Wright, January 10, 1910

My Blog
    Other stuff I write

I'm still checking things. I don't have all the answers for you yet, and will not answer what it could be until I know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Peartree View Post
    In her message that you just quoted, she just said that she doesn't know and she's trying to discover what caused it.
    I guess I don't see it. Can you quote it for me?

I edited a thread from 2013 on Feb 14 2017.
    Now after checking, I see there no longer is an "edit" button.
    Just posting this in hopes that time line my help you.
    Jim Hendricksen
    L-3 Tripoli 9693
    [ICBM, Orangeburg,SC R.I.P.] - QCRS ,Princeton ILL - MDRA , Price Maryland - Woosh, Bong Wisconsin- ROCC, Charlotte NC , ICBM Camden SC
    "Made" member of Chicago & Carolina Rocket Mafia
    Rocketry...........an exact science.......but not exactly !!!

Thanks for the information blackjack, it will help the things I'm checking.

CoyoteNumber2 - I'm checking things out and I'll answer when I have enough information to not be guessing at things. Also, I'm checking on what the site owner has done to tweak the performance and security of the site recently.