Where can I buy a 1010 rail?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redleder

Reaction score
I see that 80/20 has them available to order over the net, but was hoping to just go to a local supply store and get a 6ft length. Also, what is the best way to attach the rail to an AeroTech launch pad? Was thinking of sliding it over the 1/4" alum rod that I have but not certain the bore hole is that large in the rail. Suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Jarod

Local to Wake Forest, NC

Try

Grainger
4820 Signett Dr.
RALEIGH, NC 27616-2824

If you have a Grainger close by or maybe Fastenal. They may not have em in store but you can do site to store, I think. I have neither near me so not sure.

As for connecting it. I'm not familiar with the AT launch pad. The hole in the 10/10 rail I have is slightly smaller than 1/4". You could enlarge it and tap it to bolt it down. You can buy all sorts if anflkes and fasteners to accompany the rail, But without knowing the launch pad, I can't offer much help.

Mikey D

Hey! I'm in the Apex/Cary area. Nice to see another NC guy here. :)

I ended up snagging one off of an order from my robotics team. If you know anyone who does consistent orders from McMaster, or a school team or similar, ask if you can tag along on an order (if you're REALLY looking to save money).

Thanks for all the suggestions. These prices are way better than what I was seeing on Apogee's site for it. They were about 3x Amazon direct via 80/20 Inc. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I ended up snagging one off of an order from my robotics team. If you know anyone who does consistent orders from McMaster, or a school team or similar, ask if you can tag along on an order (if you're REALLY looking to save money).

GO NC! Do you ever make it down to Bayboro for launches?

Shipping often costs more than the rail!

As recommended before, if you have a Grainger's close enough by, order it thru them and use Ship to Store. It'll be shipped free to your local Grainger's, so you avoid any shipping charges. that's what I did. Same for Fastenal, apparently.

Shipping often costs more than the rail!

As recommended before, if you have a Grainger's close enough by, order it thru them and use Ship to Store. It'll be shipped free to your local Grainger's, so you avoid any shipping charges. that's what I did. Same for Fastenal, apparently.

Gotcha. Thx.

You can use hose clamps to hold the rail to the 1/4" rod if you need to, the rod will just sit into the slot in one side and self center....I use them to hold my rail to a 1/2" bolt in the base of my launch pad for my gliders.

See below for Grainger Part No. for the 1010 rail, silver and black. I prefer the black.

Last edited:
A 1010 rail on an Aerotech pad?? Good luck with that!!

Do you not think it will work? Not stable enough? I have been using 4 12.5 lb. sand bags to hold the base steady. I just need to figure out how to get a solid mount point for the rod. I have a PVC pad I am building as well but not certain it is any more rigid.

aa721e8f9662247fcbcb10ea48608efc.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I would not use anything less than a half inch rod to transition from the rail to the base; otherwise you'll get rod whip. Also, I doubt the Mantis pad is rigid enough. Put it together and see but the jawstand is a better setup.
You're on the right track going to a rail though. I bring rods to our club launches but we try to encourage rails for anything larger than model rockets.

Just put in an order from Grainger for pickup locally tomorrow for $34.25 + tax. I got the 72" black rail. If I can't mount it on the Mantis, I will look into the Jawstand mentioned in a previous reply.

Will let you know how the mounting goes.

Another on-line Very good source is McMaster-Carr. They carry a number of different lenghts 6' to12'. They also carry what I consider a stronger 2-slot rail, 1004 rail Cat # 47065T118 is a 1in square x 72" or longer 6105-T5 rail.

I tapped the center hole 1/4-20" and threaded about 2" of 1/4" Stainless Steel rod as a mounting pin. Works great on any launcher that can accept 1/4" launch rods.

1004_2-Slot dimensional Dwg from 80-20 inc_03-25-16.jpg

1010 Rail-a_.205in CoreHole for Tapping_11-02-13.JPG

1010 Rail-b_Tap .25in-20 core Hole_11-02-13.JPG

1010 Rail-c_Install Threaded .25in St.Stl. Pin_11-02-13.JPG

Another on-line Very good source is McMaster-Carr. They carry a number of different lenghts 6' to12'. They also carry what I consider a stronger 2-slot rail, 1004 rail Cat # 47065T118 is a 1in square x 72" or longer 6105-T5 rail.

I tapped the center hole 1/4-20" and threaded about 2" of 1/4" Stainless Steel rod as a mounting pin. Works great on any launcher that can accept 1/4" launch rods.

How did you tap it 20" or did you mean 2"? That is what I was planning on trying, but would rather go with more hanging out the bottom to drive it all the way to the bottom of the mantis pivot arm. It is probably about 6-8" long. If that doesn't work, another meter suggested fastening it on the backside of the rail.

Jarod

Wonder why the black rail is so much more than the silver at Grainger?

Originally Posted by rcktnut View Post
A 1010 rail on an Aerotech pad?? Good luck with that!!

Do you not think it will work? Not stable enough? I have been using 4 12.5 lb. sand bags to hold the base steady. I just need to figure out how to get a solid mount point for the rod. I have a PVC pad I am building as well but not certain it is any more rigid.

aa721e8f9662247fcbcb10ea48608efc.jpg

I like the way you stabilize the launch pad.. That being said, I can't imagine using that pad with a 6 foot 1010 rail, don't want to see you break it. I don't think it is going to hold up to long. I have one and used mine extensively for years, long retired now. I hope you are not intending to launch any HPR rockets off of it. I had a friend who had a rocket with a 1/4" lug on it with an H242 motor launch off of it. Rocket took off, pad fell over, leg broke off. I guess it doesn't hurt to try it, hope it does work out, just don't launch anything HPR.

Pictures of mine with repaired leg bracket:Mantis Pad.JPGMantis Pad 2.JPG

I will venture a guess that your home-brew PVC pad will be stronger and more durable than the Mantis. Mine sure is. As mentioned, the plastic components of the Mantis pad will fail sooner rather than later. Rather than further bastardizing the Mantis with sand bags and a rail, put the effort in your new design. :2:

That makes three of us in this area!! I live in Cary, work in Raleigh. Though I don't get to fly much locally - work and helping with my mother-in-law (who lives with us) takes up most of my time. I usually fly at my dad's farm down in SC (go to see about him every 3 or 4 weeks). I've flown at the school down there some also.

Back