URRF 4 June 23-25 Potter, NY

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Dan and thanks for signing up for some pad manager slots.. Its one of my favorite posts as you get up close and personal with all the rockets and there crew. They tell you all about how there doing things and you can learn a lot. I want to try different positions this year helping in the different spots. Its really interesting seeing who does what behind the scenes. I want to start helping Dutch as he plays with the big boys and big toys.

I know he's always looking to help transport something that's off the hook and I figure it might be a new place to ingest some new forms of distortion.

I'd like very much to help Dutch with the roving RSO for the BFR's...
I should be able to sneak away from my table for a bit...
I really can't wait for this launch...
It's always such a fantastic time...

Teddy

Thanks Dan and thanks for signing up for some pad manager slots..

+1 regarding folks that have volunteered. But there are a bunch of volunteer positions still open! Please don't hesitate to sign up for a shift, and if you nervous about being high power pad manager, consider a low-power pad manager spot. We launch a lot of model and mid-power rockets at this event, and its a good place to get your feet wet helping out. There are two shifts open for each afternoon yet...

I'd like very much to help Dutch with the roving RSO for the BFR's...
I should be able to sneak away from my table for a bit...
I really can't wait for this launch...
It's always such a fantastic time...

Teddy

Teddy, Teddy, Teddy, make sure you bring Sandy with you or at least a trusted helper because I might just have to Shang high you for a Roving RSO Shift for one or two days on the afternoon shift. Hopefully when sales may be a bit slow, not too slow, just so Sandy could handle it until I unchain you.

Dutch

Plan to be there Thursday to help with the setup and hang around to help with the teardown. Also plan to find the time to work a shift or two while I'm there. Also planning some "Smugglers" time.

Teddy, Teddy, Teddy, make sure you bring Sandy with you or at least a trusted helper because I might just have to Shang high you for a Roving RSO Shift for one or two days on the afternoon shift. Hopefully when sales may be a bit slow, not too slow, just so Sandy could handle it until I unchain you.

Dutch

Small change of plans Dutch,,
I'm not thrilled about it but my wife Sandy has to work,,
she tried to get some time off for this launch and struck out..
She won't be with me for the launch..
We'll still figure somehow for me to help out with the roving RSO duties...

Teddy

Teddy I can raid your stock, um I mean look after it for you.

hahahahaha,,,
At MWP my buddy Fred T would look after my table when I'd go get a flight in...
When I got back he was having a " 90% off everything in stock sale ".... lol...

Teddy

Last edited:
Hey, I'll be out sunday and I'm such a nice guy I'll watch BOTH Tim and Teddy's trailers.

Seeing as we will be next to each other in the Vendor row, Patty and I would be more than happy to mind the stores for a while. I also plan to work a couple shifts. Hope you both plan to fly as well. All work and no play :no:

Last edited:
So... Experienced URRF flyers... What's the tree situation like out there? Trying to figure out what to prep. I've got an L1090 that can go in a 5lb Punisher, 7.5lb Demon, or 10lb DarkStar... Is kissing the waiver going to land me in trees?
Also thinking about bringing a custom 3x29 cluster on 3-I224s. Maybe some smaller Sport stuff too... Depends how busy my Monday is.

This is a 7,000 foot flight from the weekend launch site. URRF will be to the left, nearly on the treeline. Wind 'usually' blows to the right. you can see the outline of the swamp that was drained and is now farmland.

There is of course, the evil tree island. Its not really trees. It's a stand of 100' tall poison ivy so thick no one wants to cut it down. You can go to 18K and land clean...or flub a 1200' flight and hang it.

22848807246_cfc1cb5b82_h.jpg

9,000 foot flight at LDRS at potter. popped main at 9K, plenty of video showing the trees. recovered in low corn.
[youtube]bVJD1Akxh-U[/youtube]

Last edited:
There is of course, the evil tree island. Its not really trees. It's a stand of 100' tall poison ivy so thick no one wants to cut it down.

Don't you have some EX motors you could "test" there? :)

So... Experienced URRF flyers... What's the tree situation like out there?

Trees, what trees...you just had to say the "T" word! I plan on launching my 3" DarkStar on a Loki L-1040 Red to 14K and my MD Tomach possibly on a Loki L-1400 White, which should kiss the waiver. If the weather conditions permit I just launch and deal with the recovery as it comes. So far I have personally had relatively easy recoveries, even one 3.46 miles from the pad but getting access to the rocket was easy.

However I have spent more time than I would like in "eveil tree island" as Dave put it, helping Glenn (AKA Glenbo) recover his rockets, and trust me you do not want to go in there. Fortunately there are resources (young guys willing to do anything for a buck) that can be coerced, paid, to recover your rocket from almost any spot.

Dave that recovery kills me every time I see it. It's on the same plane of existence as Nathan's paint jobs.

Trees, what trees...you just had to say the "T" word! I plan on launching my 3" DarkStar on a Loki L-1040 Red to 14K and my MD Tomach possibly on a Loki L-1400 White, which should kiss the waiver. If the weather conditions permit I just launch and deal with the recovery as it comes. So far I have personally had relatively easy recoveries, even one 3.46 miles from the pad but getting access to the rocket was easy.

However I have spent more time than I would like in "eveil tree island" as Dave put it, helping Glenn (AKA Glenbo) recover his rockets, and trust me you do not want to go in there. Fortunately there are resources (young guys willing to do anything for a buck) that can be coerced, paid, to recover your rocket from almost any spot.

Dave that recovery kills me every time I see it. It's on the same plane of existence as Nathan's paint jobs.

Thank you that means quite a bit. It's certainly one of my favorites. LOL...oh, wait... I thought I posted my 3" dark star on a K1100T to 7K. That one is actually my Screech on a K1127 to 9K.

This is the K1100T-

17085952679_90a3ab3031_c.jpg

The J510W I put in the screech a couple hours after that K1127 drifted a bit, but also pulled 9K

22482624129_23b9d6d246_b.jpg

I recommended a chainsaw party last year, but some brainiac suggested that a bunch of guys drinking beer in the middle of the night with chainsaws was likely not a good idea.

Someone stole my chainsaw when I went to buy rum.

Last edited:
Honestly, I've watched a flight or thousand while taking photos. At an URRF or LDRS at potter, 75-80% of normal flights over 4/5K land to the east of the tree island.

usually :)

That helps, actually! Thanks for the pics, David. I'm used to launching at QCRS and at Bong, so I'm fairly familiar with all types of tree variety...
I'll prep several and fly what the weather deems worthy. Then, of course, recover as necessary.
Much thanks, and I'm looking forward to meeting everyone! This will be my first launch outside of QCRS and Bong.

Hi Team. Registration is closing soon like in the next day or so save money and pre register. This is going to be a fun year. Anyone wanting to cert TRA level 1 or 2 I will be available. I will have the test material with me as well so anyone wanting to take the level 2 test feel free to look me up. See you all like real soon I am just about packed.

hahahaha..
Man,, you guy's are too much...
Always looking to help a guy out,,, lol...
Ya know,, as time goes by and everyone becomes more familiar with each other,,
we get more comfortable and joke around more...

This really is going to be a fun launch,,, I cain't wait....

Teddy

I recommended a chainsaw party last year, but some brainiac suggested that a bunch of guys drinking beer in the middle of the night with chainsaws was likely not a good idea.

I really wish I still had the photo from when we originally built the bridges over the creek and the club was still known as PYRO, maybe Greg E. has it, you know the one with the three chainsaws stuck in the tree.
We were all really good engineers back then.

Back