Is it Just me?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mccordmw

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
When I head out for work and the sky is clear, no wind, mid-70s temp I think, "Ooh. Today would be a great day to launch rockets."
When I'm driving past farmland with huge, open fields I think, "Wow. That would make a great launch site."

:facepalm:

for me it's worse - any garbage that i see on the side of the road "hey- that kinda looks like a parachute- I should stop and make sure it's not a rocket"

Every single day. I live 56 miles from where I work. In NW Ohio there are a lot of farms in that 56 mile stretch.

for me it's worse - any garbage that i see on the side of the road "hey- that kinda looks like a parachute- I should stop and make sure it's not a rocket"

In the office, I see boxes and boxes of heavy duty 2" to 4" cardboard mailing tubes. I've used some before for a scratch HPR. I stare at them and plan how I want to use them. Anything vaguely nosecone shaped or tube shaped gets cataloged in my brain for future consideration.

I drive from St. Louis to Milwaukee a few times a year to talk to work team members. I see at least 50 great launch sites on the way.

Only issue then is how many air routes lie above said sites for waiver purposes. Other issue is not every farmer is amenable to strangers flying rockets
on their land. If one finds a farmer who also flies rockets then it's quite possible to establish a site. Kurt

Not only driving and seeing a potential site... Scouring Google maps 'satellite mode' for potential sites!

(I also just like 'looking down' on the planet with Google maps.. Ellis AFB is pretty cool, as the tarmac is usually filled with 'flight / team A' and 'flight / team B'! The Boeing plant is neat, and there' a section of Bangladeshi coast line that's litter with ships being pulled on shore & then slowly stripped apart.. that is pretty cool!

when I am out in a field looking for arrow heads or just in the woods any bright color in the trees and I stop to see if it is a parachute to a rocket or a weather balloon called a radiosonde

Bobby

Ahhh, the Great Western Desert is right outside Boise and it's BLM land. As long as you don't set their desert on fire they're pretty cool about launching through midrange. I was returning home from launching out on a huge dirt patch off Pleasant Valley Road when I saw a flat bed truck going past in the other direction heading out towards the Orchard Range. It had a rather oddly shaped package in the back and there were small NASA meatballs and a JPL placard on the truck. That night on the news they talked about the load, they were drop testing the AeroShroud that went on the Mars Lander. Apparently the tests were successful :)

I drive past a huge sod farm on my way to work every day. It's painful every time.

Back