Meaner Machine scratch build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The great thing about internal fillets is that they don't have to look good. :wink:

A lot of lathe tools, such as this collet chuck, are threaded in the end of the Morse Taper, to accept a so-called drawbar. My collet chuck tends to work loose when I'm using it, which was a source of great frustration. So I finally did something about it. I found out that the thread size is 10mm 1.50, and a bolt would need to be at least 150mm long. Couldn't find one. As it turns out, there is a Grainger branch near me, and there is no shipping charge if you pick it up in the store. They had 10mm threaded rods on their website, 1 meter long, for $8. It only took a day to get to the store. The rod is stainless, and it was a bear cutting it. But I got it cut and chamfered the end of it, so it would screw into the chuck. I found a 10mm wing nut at Home Depot, and voila. No more loosening! Took me long enough!

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

I got the couplers and inside of the body tube flooded with thin CA.

093.JPG

094.JPG

Why, a jam chuck for couplers, of course! It's the fastest and easiest way I've found to make them smooth.

097.JPG

098.JPG

099.JPG

100.JPG

101.JPG

102.JPG

Last edited:
Nice build and good documentation (via photos!) as usual Captain!
If no one else says so, I appreciate the time it takes to share!

Best!
Jeff

Got the bulkhead and baffle plate epoxied into their couplers.

114.JPG

115.JPG

116.JPG

117.JPG

118.JPG

119.JPG

120.JPG

121.JPG

Using my highly specialized and custom measuring tool, I marked the position of the rear rail button, then drilled and installed both of them.

122.JPG

123.JPG

124.JPG

125.JPG

126.JPG

127.JPG

128.JPG

129.JPG

130.JPG

For some reason I can't figure out, the forward coupler is way too tight. I've resanded the coupler and sanded the inside of the body tube several times, to no avail. I happen to have an old extra coupler, and it does fit. I'll have to make a new bulkhead for it.

131.JPG

132.jpg

133.JPG

134.JPG

I cut and sized a 1/2" bulkhead, and epoxied it into the coupler.

135.JPG

136.JPG

137.JPG

139.JPG

140.JPG

141.JPG

I've never had a coupler that tight. I have no idea what the problem is.

Are those couplers from LOC?Really like their tubes.A little thicker than most others.Made my scratch Mega Max with them.Hope to fly it this spring.That rocket should really move out.I may have missed your post,what motor do you plan to use?

I'm not sure where the body tubes and third coupler are from. I apparently bought them several years ago. What's odd, is one of the body tubes is 30" long, and I don't know who sells or sold them that length. They are all the same diameter and thickness of LOC tubes. The first two couplers are from Rocketarium. One is a little thicker, and is considered for av-bays. It's just slightly smaller diameter. The one that's too tight is a normal coupler.

https://www.rocketarium.com/Build/Couplers/2.6A?cPath=19_188&

https://www.rocketarium.com/Build/Couplers/2.6?cPath=19_188&

For the first flight, I'm thinking a G53 FastJack if I launch it at SARG, or a G64 White Lightning if at LUNAR.

Perfect painting weather today, so I went for it. Sealed and sanded the fins; sanded and wiped with alcohol the repurposed nose cone. I decided to paint the body tubes satin black, so I used Rustoleum Universal paint and primer in one. It covered pretty good!

142.JPG

143.JPG

144.JPG

145.JPG

146.JPG

147.JPG

148.JPG

149.JPG

Last edited:
Back