NXRS 2017 - June 23rd-26th - Oregon * HILL BACK ON*

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salvage-1

Certified
Reaction score
NXRS - Northwest eXtreme Rocketry Show
Brothers, Oregon
June 23rd-26th, Friday through Monday - 4 DAYS -

This is one of the NorthWests' best research launches.
Unimproved camping / RV space. Bring lots of water, there is NO onsite potable, nearest is about 3 miles away at the Brothers Oasis (rest area), containers can be filled here.
There will be extra PortaPots this year!!!

2017 details

Standard details
NXRS is an all-research launch run under Tripoli research launch rules. Our standard FAA waiver of 20,500’ AGL will be in place, with call-in windows to 42,500’. Maximum impulse will be limited to O motors (or complex N projects). If you plan to exceed the standard 20,500’ waiver, please contact the Oregon Rocketry BOD ([email protected]) prior to the launch.

I have already heard of a few noteworthy plans this year.... hope to hear of more on here...

What are you all bringing?
-------

Usual Vendors

Sunriver Observatory (Kits, motors, and more!)
Bay Area Rocketry site link
Big Red Bee site link
Multitronix (KATE!) site link
Altus Metrum site link

oh.. and it appears that we may have an extra vendor in addition to our usual!

RCS!

-----------------------------------------------

IMPORTANT UPDATE

Due to unforeseen problems at the last minute, we may have to implement a different launch arrangement than usual.

Due to safe distance policy, we are now limited to M impulse, with no change to waiver altitude.

If you have plans to fly higher than M impulse, please contact [email protected]

These are temporary limits which may be lifted in time for NXRS.

Last edited:
NXRS - Northwest eXtreme Rocketry Show
Brothers, Oregon
June 23rd-26th, Friday through Monday - 4 DAYS -

This is one of the NorthWests' best research launches.
Unimproved camping / RV space. Bring lots of water, there is NO onsite potable, nearest is about 3 miles away at the Brothers store.
There will be extra PortaPots this year!!!

2016 details here
updated soon with 2017 details

Standard details
NXRS is an all-research launch run under Tripoli research launch rules. Our standard FAA waiver of 20,500’ AGL will be in place, with call-in windows to 42,500’. Maximum impulse will be limited to O motors (or complex N projects). If you plan to exceed the standard 20,500’ waiver, please contact the Oregon Rocketry BOD ([email protected]) prior to the launch.

I have already heard of a few noteworthy plans this year.... hope to hear of more on here...

What are you all bringing?
-------

Usual Vendors

Sunriver Observatory (Kits, motors, and more!)
Bay Area Rocketry site link
Big Red Bee site link
Multitronix (KATE!) site link
Altus Metrum site link

oh.. and it appears that we may have an extra vendor in addition to our usual!
attachment.php

I hope to bring the big Dragonfly. Mike has mentioned a sparky M....

I will be driving over Saturday - the wife doesn't want to spend $500 on lodging again this year. 2/5 of the Rock-It Girls are going to be out of the country, so I am not positive about bringing the Big Dragonfly...

The date is getting closer.

Updates.

Confirmed Vendors.

BAY Area Rocketry
Sunriver Observatory
RCS

Date extensions have been confirmed, this is a 4 (FOUR) day event.

Extra porta pots have been ordered for this event.

Sagebrush clearing done last year means that we have more pad space!!!!

Far Away (Hill) site is being cleared but we have to say NO SPARKIES on this cell.

We will decide on if we will allow sparkies on the mid, high and away cell closer to the date, dependent upon weather.

doesn't want to spend $500 on lodging again this year. 2/5 of the Rock-It Girls are going to be out of the country, so I am not positive about bringing the Big Dragonfly... [/B]

CAMP and bring the Dragonfly with a huge N sparky!

doesn't want to spend $500 on lodging again this year. 2/5 of the Rock-It Girls are going to be out of the country, so I am not positive about bringing the Big Dragonfly... [/B]

CAMP and bring the Dragonfly with a huge N sparky!

It looks like we will either be driving out Saturday early or possibly camping out Friday night. The Dragonfly will go up one way or another!

update .... CONTESTS

NXRS Contests 2017:

-Tinder Rocketry - The Tinder Trailer Trasher @NXRS 2017 (confirmed)
54mm and the 75mm events.
Any rocket, any single motor, highest altitude wins choice of either The Peregrine or The RAPTOR CO2 ejection system.
Prizes can be seen here:
The Peregrine: https://www.tinderrocketry.com/#!peregrine-co2-ejection/c23p3
The RAPTOR: https://www.tinderrocketry.com/#!raptor-co2-ejection/c4ff

-Bay Area Rocketry
One rocket, one motor, reach 5280' without going over. AGL or equivlent MSL.
Must reach a minimum of 4500' to be a contender.
The Prize is a Polecat Fatman kit

-Sunriver Observatory
Highest Altitude Competitions - $50 gift certificate per class.
-Highest 4" airframe on a K
-Highest on an I impulse rocket (any airframe)
-Highest Research motor (any airframe)

Ha, that's my bad. I don't know how I didn't see it. I'll link to this one in mine and tell mods they can delete it if they want. Sorry Rob!

Ha, that's my bad. I don't know how I didn't see it. I'll link to this one in mine and tell mods they can delete it if they want. Sorry Rob!

ROFL... no problem there Brian, I was just going to update this page.

We have just had Spring Thunder, our first launch of the year, and in just 5 weeks, we will be holding NXRS.

The vendors are confirmed, the competitions are confirm, and I believe even Fred is confirmed attending with his own brand of rocketry mayhem :)

We also have food available!!

Brothers Store is back open and has a Cafe. I stopped there this last weekend and checked out the menu. Seems like decent food at real reasonable prices. Let's see if we can send some rocketeers their way and bump their trade a little!!

----

What are you bringing?

I am hoping to either repair my Pterodactyl or finish a two stage... other than that, I will just fly rockets :)

We are bringing the Dragonfly, probably going up on an Aerotech L. I hope to also fly Chester's Cheeto Chaser IV for the first time.

I'm planning to fly my L3 Black Brant II (it will be all painted and purdy for the event). I'll likely bring my 2-stage shape-shifter to fly again too - that's always fun.

-brant

"23 days to go."

Crapola....that's not enough time....to much to do to get ready....
Was hoping to wind up another 98mm no-metal motor for NXRS, but just haven't had the time...........

I'll be there for sure at least through Sunday. Should be another great one.

IMPORTANT UPDATE

Due to unforeseen problems at the last minute, we may have to implement a different launch arrangement than usual.

Due to safe distance policy, we are now limited to M impulse, with no change to waiver altitude.

If you have plans to fly higher than M impulse, please contact [email protected]

These are temporary limits which may be lifted in time for NXRS.

Double Crapola....

Guess there's no hurry to pack that N-4222 and we can leave the other two N's at home.
Bummer.
Going to have to scramble to downsize a bunch of flights.....

I just released the information with the monthly meeting minutes. OROC and RocketNW mailing lists.

Basically the landowner of the hill site is not happy with the way in which sage was removed. Therefore, if we are limited to the areas on the flat (Brothers40, which the club owns) for launching, due to the new TRA rules, we would be limited to a M class (non complex).

The BoD are trying to work with the landowner to regain access for NXRS and future launches, but right now, we have to go with what we have.

I am giving this thread a slight BUMP.

The limit on Impulse is still up, but that isn't stopping people try for altitude.
So far we have 5 requests for the high waiver, that will go up when I submit my request.

My plans have changed a little for NXRS.
No Ptiny the Pterodactyl after Spring Thunder, not until repairs.

I am going to bring a two stage that i am planning on flying a few times over the weekend in various disquises. It is a Wildman jr to jr (54mm airframe, 38mm MMT). Sometime over the weekend, I may stick a 54mm can as the booster and try for some altitude!!

- Reminder -
If you are planning to go fly higher than 22K, please inform the OROC BoD (email above)

We have a temp max limit of M impulse for this launch.

I am also finishing a two stage - Wildman Darkstar Jr, 54mm (minimum diameter) booster to 38mm sustainer. I may have a single M flight, M840 to ~38k'. If I can finish it in time and confident in it.

well it seems we are back on

NXRS fliers,

We now have approval to launch N and O motors from the hilltop site again at NXRS on June 23-26. If you plan to fly an N or an O motor at the launch, please send an email to [email protected] and let us know what you plan to fly. We will need to get approval on a per-flight basis for large motors. Thanks for your understanding - see you at the launch!

Gary

Gary Goncher
President, Oregon Rocketry

Sweet -- bring out the big dogs boys! (and girls)
We are sitting on three N's that want to fly.
Glad the ban is lifted!

Yup on those Fred!! NXRS - X or Xtreeeem

I have to stress - EVERY FLIGHT that will be going off the hill has to be documented by the BoD. EVERY FLIGHT

So, if you are doing multiple off the hill, we need to know about DETAILS ABOUT EACH (N's, altitude).

We are allowed to fly, but these are the rules of the landowner.

If in doubt, email the BoD [email protected]

Wed
JUN 21
Sunny
78°44°
0%
NNW 16 mph
27%
Thu
JUN 22
Sunny
75°44°
0%
NNW 13 mph
26%
Fri
JUN 23
Sunny
74°45°
0%
NW 14 mph
25%
Sat
JUN 24
Sunny
74°44°
0%
WNW 11 mph
27%
UV Index
Sunrise
Sunset
Moonrise
Moonset
8 of 10
5:20 am
8:48 pm
6:12 am
9:25 pm
Sunny skies. High 74F. Winds WNW at 10 to 15 mph.
Sat Night
JUN 24
Clear
--44°
0%
NW 10 mph
43%
UV Index
Sunrise
Sunset
Moonrise
Moonset
0 of 10
5:20 am
8:48 pm
6:12 am
9:25 pm
A mostly clear sky. Low 44F. Winds NW at 10 to 15 mph.
Sun
JUN 25
Sunny
77°44°
0%
WSW 10 mph
27%
Mon
JUN 26
Sunny
75°44°
0%