Semroc Maple Seed Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about cutting the LL in two, putting one where recommended, and putting the second at the aft-most point on the BT just to put your mind at ease. :wink:

I imagine that with the directions being so specific about placement, they have logged many test flight and there are no issues with it being placed as instructed. My pondering is whether or not there is a better placement. Either way, this is NOT a windy day rocket. If the weathercocking doesn't get you, trying to retrieve 4 separate pieces will.

I have gotten color on all the parts.
The last bit of assembly is to thread the Kevlar through the hole around the motor mount and then glue the motor mount in place.
MS MM.jpgThis is a deviation from the instructions. I wanted an external shock cord because this is not a high performance model, it keeps the shock cord away from any ejection heat, and it will descend horizontally under streamer for less drift.

MS Finished1.jpgMS finished2.jpgMS finished3.jpgMS finished pcs.jpg
Each of the fins have been test thrown for performance and do spin as advertised.
1 color assigned to each kid and the lifting body for me

The fire bans have been lifted and the next club launch is May/6th. Hopefully it will be calm and I will have some video.

I'm really looking forward to your flight report. The quirkier the model, the more interest it garners. Hopeful for good weather for your launch.

We launched this on Sunday/7th of May and I have to say the seeds work as advertised. The kids were excited to chase there maple seed and I like the kit very much.
However, I should not have launched it and I knew it before the button was pushed. It flew with less weather cocking than I expected, but the wind took the maple seeds directly to the creek in the distance.
[YOUTUBE]/Iz1kszpzBoM[/YOUTUBE]

We retrieved 2 of the 3 as well as the lifting body. I will have to get in touch with Randy at Semroc regarding purchasing replacement fins:facepalm:
Now that I have flown it once, I imagine that I will have more patience if the wind is not advantageous for recovery.

Congratulations on a successful launch, sorry you lost one of the seeds. Unfortunately, the video doesn't show the seeds very well. If you're lucky, the one you lost will germinate and then you'll have plenty of replacement seeds. :rofl:

So if you don't recover the seed pods, will you find a rocket tree growing there one day?

Need to figure out a way to fit a screamer into each fin.... :p

Sorry you lost one but the video looked really fun, and the kids seemed into it.

Congratulations on a successful launch, sorry you lost one of the seeds. Unfortunately, the video doesn't show the seeds very well. If you're lucky, the one you lost will germinate and then you'll have plenty of replacement seeds. :rofl:

It would be nice, but I am confident that the seed was GMO, so I have to back to the original supplier.

Need to figure out a way to fit a screamer into each fin.... :p

Sorry you lost one but the video looked really fun, and the kids seemed into it.

The kids did have fun. My little one had the most fun stomping around IN the creek with her rubber boots on.

Back