PSII Nike Smoke: How Big Have You Gone?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kruegon

Reaction score
I finally pulled the trigger on a Chute Release. Now I want to use it with some bigger rockets that aren't very good choices for DD. Namely my 3" Nike Smoke.

So just how hard have you pushed your Nike Smoke? I've been considering an H128W. Not sure I'd try a H165R. M afraid that no matter how well I built it, that motor could shred the fins.

I put mine up on a G64-W and with a JLCR and it flew straight as an arrow to 1,528'. She did still drift quite a bit even with the JLCR set at 300' due to my Nike weighing only 21 oz. I think it would handle the H's without any trouble but be prepared for a walk if there is any wind at all.

It's definitely going to be interesting. Moving forward I definitely see a lot of FG in my future. Makes for better recovery, faster capable flights, more direct descent, and seriously easier painting and finishing.

Just need to remember who it was that had the FG Smoke.

I think the fins will do ok with a H128W or H165R. Just make darn sure the glue bond around the seams is 100%, particularly on the leading edge of the fins.
Thus far, I haven't flown my PS II Nike Smoke on anything hotter than a G76-10G. They are a perfect match for this bird. For an RMS 29/180 or larger motor, I'd be careful with keeping the stability margin close to 1.0, since the heavier motor will shift the CG back and reduce stability.

I've only flown mine on G64s. I think it would handle an H128, not sure about going further though. There are vids out there of people shredding PSII plastic fins.

It's definitely going to be interesting. Moving forward I definitely see a lot of FG in my future. Makes for better recovery, faster capable flights, more direct descent, and seriously easier painting and finishing.

Just need to remember who it was that had the FG Smoke.

Madcow has a 4" Nike Smoke listed on their website as out of stock, coming soon.

https://www.madcowrocketry.com/fiberglass-40/

I've flown mine 4 times and all flights were with CTI H-163 motors.

On the fourth launch the flight failed with all 4 fins instantly disintegrating at lift-off! Most likely cause was glue fatigue.
I paid special care on gluing the fins but it seems that wasn't enough.
So be careful when flying stronger motors...

Right now the rocket is repaired (luckily only minor damage occurred) but the replacement fins still need to be assembled. I'm still trying to find a way to put them together for safer flights.

PS: I need to make a thread with more details of the launch as I also have nice on-board footage of the "disaster".

I have flown mine 5 times. Four flights with no problems, on the fifth flight (a G80) 2 of the fins separated. Made for an interesting flight but it was fixable.

In other threads, JumpJet has suggested clear packing tape over the leading edge of the fins. Make sure the air stream can't wedge its way in.

I flew mine on a G33. Needs more thrust.

I've gone H97 twice with no problem at all, and I would think an H128 would be ok too. I constructed the fins by scarring the mating surfaces with an exacto in a cross hatch pattern, joining with 5 min epoxy, and fusing the fin edges with Tenax 7R after the epoxy had cured. The Tenax basically makes the edges one solid piece of plastic, so no worries there.

I flew mine on an H210 Redline last summer, flew just fine. Used an altimeter with cable cutter, to keep recovery reasoable. I glued the fins together with medium CA, making sure all edges are glued together solid.

In other threads, JumpJet has suggested clear packing tape over the leading edge of the fins. Make sure the air stream can't wedge its way in.

That is certainly a very good option however if glue fatigue occurs the fins may still flutter and instantly snap.

I cut vent holes in the root of my Nike fins and filled the interior space with white gorilla glue. So they are foam filled, in essence.

^ exactly how i build mine... lots of rough sanding to interior of the fins, dampen them down then fix with gorilla glue. I clamp mine while they set, and yes, it does expand, that is the secret of the holes in the fin tab, just trim afterwards...

I've gone H97 twice with no problem at all, and I would think an H128 would be ok too. I constructed the fins by scarring the mating surfaces with an exacto in a cross hatch pattern, joining with 5 min epoxy, and fusing the fin edges with Tenax 7R after the epoxy had cured. The Tenax basically makes the edges one solid piece of plastic, so no worries there.

I was going to try the H97 in my PSII Nike Smoke. .but got ahold of the G75J for the 29/180 AT HW.

It was such a nice flight , havent tried to go higher . The G75J had alot more Ns than the Hobbyline NonHAZ G motors to boot

Kenny

Last edited:
Back