NYPower 21, May 27-29, 2017

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weather is shaping up to be great. Late Western NY spring days... A little breezy but no heavy wind, highs in the Low 70's, and right now very little chance of rain. Partly cloudy to mostly sunny skies. This could be the some of the best rocket flying weather of the year in the Northeast.

All of you fence-sitters, check out the 10-day weather forecast for Geneseo, NY.

Praying that this forecast holds out.

Man come on you rockets gods, what does a rocketeer have to sacrifice in order to get some decent weather! I see Tuesday is shaping up to be great :sigh:

..Maybe Geneseo misses me.

Or crying with joy.....

Seriously, weather forecasts are not reliable in the Genesee River basin, cloud forecasts maybe, but precipitation not so much.

Hoping the last forecast I saw IS reliable.

Saturday looks like the day to fly....Any rain look to be clearing-up by then, with maybe a lingering shower first thing, then clearing and very light winds for the rest of the day.

Sunday morning looks OK, but weather going downhill later in the day. Rain forecast for Sunday night. Monday looking dicey.

With Saturday being the good day, maybe the organizers can run extended hours and keep the range open till dusk?

Looking forward to this. Making the trip out to Geneseo from Boston with my son. (First trip to this field for us...But we've heard great things.) Car is packed for an early Friday morning departure. Can't wait!

Dan Tyszka
NAR # 95916 / CMASS Member

So far, the forecasts have been fairly consistent that Saturday will be the best day. I'll definitely be down there all day then. But right now, I'm thinking of coming back Monday for a more laid-back partial day of launches, but we'll have to see how the weather looks in the morning. For Sunday, we'll see, but that might be a better day for me to get some stuff done around the house/shop/garage...

I expect the museum to be busy with us "out-of-towners" on Sunday..

car packing tomorrow, leaving early Saturday morning for the drive.. looking forward to it!

Driving up for the day on Saturday with the family. Hoping to get my L2 cert flight in... we always enjoy MARS launches.

It is with great sadness to realize I will miss NYPOWER this year. Most years, I try to return to the NE for a family visit after moving to the SW 13 years ago. This year, NSL is an hour away.

Don't forget to bring a shovel for recovery. ;-)

Last edited:
Is there a list of 900 MHz frequencies that will be in use? I'd like to know which one NOT to pick.

WHAM TV (13wham.com) is usually most accurate with weather forecasting in this area of NY. Click on the weather icon in the upper right. Geneseo's Zip Code is 14454.

Sat. there will most likely to be little if any rain, but it will be cloudy in the AM. OUr night launch should be great with mostly clear skies. Sunday will be partly cloudy. Maybe an afternoon thunderstorm. Maybe not. Monday we might have rain very early but it will clear up. Temperatures are going to be relatively cool.

I have a feeling we are going to be able to get in a LOT of flights.

Is there a list of 900 MHz frequencies that will be in use? I'd like to know which one NOT to pick.

Most of the MARS members use 70 CM trackers which are in the 400 MHz range. We will have a list of frequencies that are being used at the safety desk.

A suggestion for everyone is to bring boots. The grass field was wet today, but not drenched. However sneakers will get soaked. After the rain we had earlier this week the plowed fields usually have the consistency and stickiness of baby poop.

Good news is that the forecast for wind is light and variable.

For those of you who have been here before, the treeline that was cut down may be a little disorienting, but very good to see. You will still need to walk around the ditch.

My 900Mhz unit (if use it) will use all of the 900Mhz freqs, its frequency hopping as most 900M units are.

Just got home a few hours ago & unpacked (6hr drive back to Montreal).

Thanks all for hosting and running the event. It was a great time! And a good chance to meet a bunch of you!

Just got home a few hours ago & unpacked (6hr drive back to Montreal).

Thanks all for hosting and running the event. It was a great time! And a good chance to meet a bunch of you!

+1 Thank you to everyone involved. I know how much effort goes into these events so I very much appreciate all of your efforts!

With all the talk about the "weather" we had nearly perfect weather for flying. Saturday was NO Wind, dead calm, with lovely temps, the only drawback is early on we had a lower ceiling. Sunday was GLORIOUS ALL DAY!

The moral of the story... the Weather "guessers" are ONLY 50% right 36hrs in advance, Forget any long range forecast!

Saturday there was this awesome flight. I didn't catch who's this was but very very cool.

[youtube]Ym8eLRANn5E[/youtube]

Looked like it landed in the trees back there.

+1 Thank you to everyone involved. I know how much effort goes into these events so I very much appreciate all of your efforts!

"Piling-on" with another "Thank You" and great review for NYPOWER 21:

My son and I made the 6 hour drive out to Geneseo from Boston, MA for this launch and got to enjoy 2 great days of flying Saturday and Sunday...Flew everything we intended to fly and got everything back! We heard great things about NYPOWER before the launch, and this past weekend did not disapoint. The MARS folks put on a great event, and the venue / field is simply AWESOME!

A heartfelt thanks to all involved. Looking forward to flying with you folks again at Geneseo at some point in the near future.

Dan & Ben Tyszka
NAR 95916 & 95917
CMASS Members

https://www.flickr.com/photos/132724805@N04/

34605740470_aa0cd22a7d_c.jpg
34953421646_c28984eb08_c.jpg
34953422006_a128175233_c.jpg
34993462095_3a617d9dac_c.jpg
34993465975_39147c4239_c.jpg
34163406003_e48fc2164f_c.jpg

Looks like you all had a wonderful launch,,
I'm super glad everything went great..
Yeah,, the weather definitely cooperates more often then it doesn't,,
even when the forecast says otherwise...
Great launch guy's,, I sure am sorry I missed it....

Teddy

Thank You MARS! NYPower21 was lots of fun. A great venue and great organizers made for a memorable event.

some photos to share the love..
this was on Saturday..

Our set up, a few of my Leviathan, Zachary's Graduator, the flight line, the tents! Kevin's little V2

NYP2017_0718.JPG

NYP2017_0722.JPG

NYP2017_0741.JPG

NYP2017_0745.JPG

NYP2017_0752.JPG

NYP2017_0755.JPG

NYP2017_0769.JPG

NYP2017_0776.JPG

NYP2017_0798.JPG

NYP2017_0801.JPG

and a few more.. this was on the Sunday..

Kevin and his AGM Pike & Talon 2. That AGM on that sparky motor came out really nice!

And me, with my Super DX3..

NYP2017_0886.JPG

NYP2017_0899.JPG

NYP2017_0914.JPG

NYP2017_0959.JPG

NYP2017_0967.JPG

NYP2017_0970.JPG

NYP2017_0974.JPG

NYP2017_0975.JPG

NYP2017_0983.JPG

Have any lost and found rockets turned up? I lost my Hellfire in the wheat on the left side of the range. The sonic beacon never went off and the wheat was just tall enough to hide everything a little too well. There's a good length of Kevlar shock cord that may cause harvesting equipment some trouble as well as a two cell Lipo on the timer that fires the chute cannon. It appears the cannon never fired. Fingers are crossed. Thanks.

Have any lost and found rockets turned up? I lost my Hellfire in the wheat on the left side of the range. The sonic beacon never went off and the wheat was just tall enough to hide everything a little too well. There's a good length of Kevlar shock cord that may cause harvesting equipment some trouble as well as a two cell Lipo on the timer that fires the chute cannon. It appears the cannon never fired. Fingers are crossed. Thanks.

Keep asking. There is a club launch every month through the summer.

Saw that the field was harvested in someones launch pics...any news on my wayward Hellfire? The tubes would be mush but the other bits would be salvageable. Fingers still crossed. Thanks.

Back