597n or 640n? Concerning AT I600R

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkidmarkMonster

Reaction score
I was reading through the NARTS motor listing in the back of sport rocketry recently and it said that Aerotech's I600R has a total impulse of 597 total n-sec., which is equivalent to a 53% I motor. However, on Rocksim and OpenRocket, and the actual motor package itself, it claims it to have a total impulse of 640 n-sec., which makes it a 100% I motor :D. Can anybody please tell me the real impulse?

When I tested them for TMT Aerotech sent three sets of grains with different hole sizes. The middle size was supposed to be right at 640 (it was) and the smaller and larger sets just in case. Plan was to cert as close to but not exceeding 640.
Same was done for H999.

M

Used to be you could go to the TMT web pages but for now you have to be satisfied with the certification document Aerotech provides on their web site. That says 597 N-s.

Which is an 87% I.

Whatever it is, it's a kick in the pants! This is in a 4" rocket-

17270218862_1505bb877e_c.jpg

A J500G took this rocket to 3092'
the I600R took it to 2895'

Not that that's accurate enough to determine anything, But I'm inclined to believe it's 640

So were the two awesome flights today at our launch on I600R's, one to near 6000' and one to 8000', still waiting to find out if the 8k was actual or if the design of the av-bay allowed a spike when the charges fired. Both flights were teleportations.

Whatever it is, it's a kick in the pants! This is in a 4" rocket-

17270218862_1505bb877e_c.jpg

A J500G took this rocket to 3092'
the I600R took it to 2895'

Not that that's accurate enough to determine anything, But I'm inclined to believe it's 640

It definitely is one heck of a motor. I'm kind of inclined to think its a 640 too because of how close those altitudes are. I plan on using one this Saturday on a scratch built I just finished. The project weighs around 5 pounds fully loaded and sims out to just under a mile so this motor definitely hauls.

If I were a gambling man , I would put all my money on 640ns . The I600 is a large core version of the J420 designed specificly for the bowling ball launch at LDRS 23(?) in Genesso . I placed 3rd in the event and the I600 would fly to 2285 feet , while the CTI I540 would just manage to get to 2165 . The I600 is most definetly a FULL I motor.

Eric

If I were a gambling man , I would put all my money on 640ns . The I600 is a large core version of the J420 designed specificly for the bowling ball launch at LDRS 23(?) in Genesso . I placed 3rd in the event and the I600 would fly to 2285 feet , while the CTI I540 would just manage to get to 2165 . The I600 is most definetly a FULL I motor.

Eric

:cheers:

I once flew one in my Binder Design Raptor. The way that thing flew, I'd say it was right around 640 N/s.:wink:

Definitely the nastiest motor I've flown in that rocket although I'm sure the I435T I flew in it after that was just as nasty despite being one grain smaller.

Full I, per above. Makes sense as it's in the same case as J350 and other baby Js, including a Redline.

It definitely is one heck of a motor. I'm kind of inclined to think its a 640 too because of how close those altitudes are. I plan on using one this Saturday on a scratch built I just finished. The project weighs around 5 pounds fully loaded and sims out to just under a mile so this motor definitely hauls.

So here are the results from the flight of my scratch-build Red Thunder on I600DSCF2682.jpg. Dimensions are 54mm by 1500mm. weighed about 5 lbs when loaded. The altimeter reported 5505 ft apogee. max speed of 522 mph with a peak of 23 g's and an average of 20.6 g's. With these results I am leaning more towards the 640n

Back