RIP Jack S.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnv2

Reaction score
Found out Jack S died yesterday.

Many midwest rocketeer's know of Jack
always with camera ready.

I met him first time early 90's in Danville

john

Jack was a great guy. He was always at TRA launches. He loved to fly long burn motors. Yes his camera and scanners were his best friends. I remember Jack telling me when 911 happened the skies over Chicago were so quite something he never heard before. He once rode his bicycle all the way from his home near O'Hare airport to a TWA launch at Bong. He loved to talk about the old times of rocketry. He never wore a coat just a tee shirt even in very cold temps.
He will be missed

Jack was an entertaining guy. I do remember his frequent i65 use, and his tales of flying an i32.

As Gary said, I remember him from the Bong launches, from when I was younger. Rain, sun, whatever weather he was there in a T-shirt with his camera. He had a huge love for long burn motors. He would bring prints of your rockets from a previous launch and give them to you.
He would always tell this story of some guy from Danville who had an ignitor installed in a I65 (I think it was that motor) in a hotel room, and you can guess what happened there. Good guy, ill miss seeing him at MWP and Bong.

RIP Jack, you will be missed. Also knew him since the early/mid 90's. Never will forget his bicycle ride from Chicago to Bong for a launch. Many stories to tell, like him falling asleep sitting up in the booth at the bar at MWP, most recent after you flew a rocket Jack would have a photo printed out for you of your flight when you got back from retrieving it. All around good guy and he will be missed at launches.

Preston

Last edited:
Jack was a good guy and I will miss him. Met him when the SCAM group flew our Honest John right after 9/11 in Danville. He had lots of video and said he would deliver to me at the next Three Oaks launch. I show up to a very cold snowy day. Dressed in car harts and still freezing. Jack walks up in short sleeves and no coat! Could not get him to take any payment for his video and pictures. Never saw Jack in a coat ever.

Dennis

Short...glasses...stuttered a bit & arm shook?

Always running around in vest , taking pictures at MWP.

If that's him, funny story at N-5800 drag race..... just as I was about to go out to pads, he hollers something about a photo...I turn around with rocket on shoulder to answer, but in doing so, fins hit him, knocking him off his feet.

Didn't realize he was close enough for contact & neither did he. We got him back on his feet & every one got back to tasks at hand. Doesn't sound funny, but if you were there and saw it, t'was like a 3 stooges moment, and since no one was hurt, you could't help but laff.

Rest in peace little buddy!!!!

Yes Jim that was Jack. He had health problems for years but it never kept him from coming to a TRA launch. It will feel strange not seeing him at a launch.

Short...glasses...stuttered a bit & arm shook? Always running around in vest , taking pictures at MWP.

With that, NOW i know who you all are talking about. Never knew him well but, i do remember always seeing him around taking pictures.

Rest in Peace Jack, may your soul fly high above the fields and, gentle prairies of the midwest looking down at us with a grin on your face...

RIP Jack, you were quite the character, and I can honestly say, you will be missed!

Like many other "old timers", I met Jack in the 90's at Danville...

Bummer. Will miss having you around Jack! Always appreciated your talents and enthusiasm. Rest well, my friend!

-Eric-

Hello everybody who like me is going to miss Jack,

I just got off the phone with Jack's brother Tom. This is going to be a tough week for him, so keep him in your thoughts and prayers.

As for me...... I will miss Jack's ready smile, his quiet laugh, his gentle manner, and his poems. Some of my favorite pictures in the world were taken by Jack.

I too first met Jack back in the Danville Dare Days. We've been friends ever since and I am missing him already. He's probably already taking some great photos in heaven and handing them out to everybody.....

Going to miss you Jack!

Brad, the "Rocket Rev.," Wilson

ps: We will have to see about having an I-65 tribute flight at MWP.........

With that, NOW i know who you all are talking about. Never knew him well but, i do remember always seeing him around taking pictures.

Rest in Peace Jack, may your soul fly high above the fields and, gentle prairies of the midwest looking down at us with a grin on your face...

I remember him from numerous MWP launches and I believe Three Oaks too. He will be missed......

jack sparrow?

Andrew, you may not have known him, but many of us did. I do not find your attempt at humor funny at all, and frankly, I find it really offensive. You have a terrible tendency to run your mouth/fingers with no thought for others. You need to develop a filter and use it. Grow up or go away.

Sad news. Jack will surely be missed. Not only always ready with his camera (and providing GREAT shots), he was a great guy to hang around with. Very knowledgable on many subjects, pleasant to be around, good sense of humor. Launches will have a big void without him.

Sather

Just learned of Jack's passing. Launches won't be the same without him.
Like many, I also met Jack at launches back in the 90s. Always with a belt
full of scanners and cameras hanging from his neck. Loved to watch his I65
flights just keep on climbing. I never did ask him how many rockets he got
back.....

I agree with the Rocket Rev. I think an I65 launch at MWP is in order. Perhaps
a volley. A memorial launch at Bong as well.

Jack's watching launches from above now.

Rest in peace, Jack.

TWA already did a memorial launch for Jack at Bong. The first launch on April 8th was in his honor. It was an I65, not sure about the rocket.

Back