Weighing down the rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jy2370

Reaction score
Hi, I have a question about weighing down the bottom the rocket. I am wondering if I can put a inner tube on top of a motor mount and put the weight on the outside of the inner tube. Is this possible?

I think I know what you mean. Sounds like it is possible. Why do you want to weigh down the aft end of the rocket?

Just remember, if you want to fly the rocket that is, keep the CG forward of the CP.

Adding mass further up is healthier for flight stability.

When you say "on top" of the motor mount do you mean "closer to the nose end" or "wrapped around the motor tube"?

If you simply want to extend the motor mount toward the nose and put your weight between it and the body tube, I see no reason why that shouldn't work.

Just dry fit everything to make sure you have room for your recovery gear, and double check your balance.

I think I know what you mean. Sounds like it is possible. Why do you want to weigh down the aft end of the rocket?

Just remember, if you want to fly the rocket that is, keep the CG forward of the CP.

Adding mass further up is healthier for flight stability.

+1
Adding weight to the aft end will make the rocket less stable.

Hi, I have a question about weighing down the bottom the rocket. I am wondering if I can put a inner tube on top of a motor mount and put the weight on the outside of the inner tube. Is this possible?

As everybody else has indicated, adding weight to the tail of the rocket may give you problems with stability. If you just want to add weight to keep max altitude down, it's usually best to add it near the nose, in the nose cone or a payload section.

my guess is that Rocksim is /was giving all sorts of dire warnings about the rocket being over stabile, that or the OP is trying to keep the altitude down. either way there are better ways to take care of these problems w/o adding weight to the tail. over stabile, scale the fins down(make them smaller). altitude, smaller engine or add drag(air brakes).
Rex

If its a girl rocket NEVER mention weight and rear end in the same sentence.

Back