Semroc Saturn 1B with 3D printed parts

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slipkid757

Reaction score
shroud1b.jpgtransiton1b.jpgIMG_1237.jpgIMG_1231.jpg

Just finished up my Saturn 1B with 3D printed parts from Shapeways.

The fin unit and the transition shroud are the printed parts substituted for the stock parts.

I painted kind of heavy, and with the plastic parts, she tips the scale at 13.4 oz.

I also used an Apogee capsule as well.

I'm thinking an Estes E30-4T, or an Aerotech F-44 for first flight.

Now I just can't wait for the weather to be calm enough in the Northeast to have its first flight.

Last edited:
Wow, that's pretty. It almost makes me want to get out mine and do something other than just stare at the parts...

How much did it end up weighing?

Absolutely beautiful, well done slipkit757. Wishing you a successful flight. Our Semroc capsule did intimidate many.

Sheryl

Could you provide links to the Shapeway's parts?

And, how did you handle the apparent gap between the fin leading edge tip and and the tank shroud that is seen in the first picture?

Could you provide links to the Shapeway's parts?

And, how did you handle the apparent gap between the fin leading edge tip and and the tank shroud that is seen in the first picture?

My guess is that when the tubes slide in to those slots it pushed that tip out enough to close the gap. Slight amount of over angle in with outward pressure would make a nice tight seal and finished look. Just a guess though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That looks beautiful. I am pondering starting mine soon. I am going to do a couple of mods to it, like interchangeable motor mounts, and I got a full set of wraps done from Mark at Stickershock23, which means I won't be using the included corrugated wraps.

I will also attempt the card stock tank shroud and the stock capsule and tower, mostly because Chris Michielssen almost dared me to when he said I could do it. I do have the aftermarket parts bookmarked in case they are needed.

Steve

Beautiful. The Saturn 1B was a graceful launch vehicle. I was fortunate enough to witness the last three (Skylab and ASTP) launches of this late, lamented rocket that never got the chance to fly as many missions as it should have in a more perfect world.

I see you painted this one in the Apollo 7 era livery, not the later Skylab/ASTP paint scheme.

[YOUTUBE][video=youtube;2rdwfmopE6k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rdwfmopE6k[/video][/YOUTUBE]

Anyone have any suggestions on remedying the rolling, pitching motion? More nose weight I guess?

Back