18mm MD 2000 ft on a C6

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get the funds thing. But we are talking about a nessisary tool in actually making the sim work. Borrow one or fined one at a agarage sale or whatever. Even having one for a short time you cane make your own beam scale to use later. Just guessing when trying for extreme performance is sloppy.
Ok i will try that.

But i havnt launched yet due to extremely high winds recently. I think wind gusts were about 40-50 km/h.

There are a bunch of decent cheap ones on Amazon. I've been quite happy with this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000O37TDO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20. I like the fact that it folds up and is easy to carry to the store to weigh the balsa sheets. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I get by just fine with my Harbor Freight digital. I purchased it with a coupon for $16.00. With a tare function and the ability to recalibrate I fined getting a reliable one gram accuracy for a sim is fine. The point of the pissy old white guy is trying to make is finding the actual CG and CP is function of the sim. And you can't do that until the end with a scale. My latest little C6 powered rocket I weighed everything during the build and the CG was still off. Way off. So I weighed the motor and found it 4g off. That's pretty big on a 18g rocket. So I was able work with the nose weight and bring it back stable and gain 60 feet on the altitude.

IMG_0269.jpg

I get by just fine with my Harbor Freight digital. I purchased it with a coupon for $16.00. With a tare function and the ability to recalibrate I fined getting a reliable one gram accuracy for a sim is fine. The point of the pissy old white guy is trying to make is finding the actual CG and CP is function of the sim. And you can't do that until the end with a scale. My latest little C6 powered rocket I weighed everything during the build and the CG was still off. Way off. So I weighed the motor and found it 4g off. That's pretty big on a 18g rocket. So I was able work with the nose weight and bring it back stable and gain 60 feet on the altitude.
So Openrocket is off by 4g on the weight of the c6 motor?

Also, thats a nice looking rocket-can you provide some details on it?

nei_w is right weight it. OR and Rocksim are great but there are always variables in any manufactured goods. Estes motors for the most part in my experience are + or - 1 on motor weights. That's a variable of 2. This one was off by 4. An anomaly I admit but there it was. But is it more powder or casing. Could be a real performer hard to tell. Anything you build with has variables. OR again my opinion represents the averag. I will give some details on the little red rocket after work.

So Openrocket is off by 4g on the weight of the c6 motor?

Also, thats a nice looking rocket-can you provide some details on it?
The little red rocket is my latest C6 powered endeavor. I finished it a while back and I have been waiting for the paint to completely dry before I polish it. Payload is a Firefly altimeter and it is packing four feet of shock cord and a Mylar streamer of the same length. The sim with final weight and balance puts it over 2600ft. I hope to get 15% out of my piston launcher. That will put it over 3000ft if I am lucky. It's really a High Flyer kit bash. The nose cone is pretty close to a Von Karmen. I just toss the balsa fins and use some 5 dollar .5mm carbon plate from the hobby store.

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-05-23 at 4.59.14 PM.jpg

The little red rocket is my latest C6 powered endeavor. I finished it a while back and I have been waiting for the paint to completely dry before I polish it. Payload is a Firefly altimeter and it is packing four feet of shock cord and a Mylar streamer of the same length. The sim with final weight and balance puts it over 2600ft. I hope to get 15% out of my piston launcher. That will put it over 3000ft if I am lucky. It's really a High Flyer kit bash. The nose cone is pretty close to a Von Karmen. I just toss the balsa fins and use some 5 dollar .5mm carbon plate from the hobby store.

Post pictures & videos of the launch! :)
Thanks,

Back