Like McDonalds food? Watch THIS.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure, like FAKE NEWS, ha. I actually am interested in nutrition. One of 2 boys who took the Foods and Nutrition class in high school, rest girls.

You cannot deny that too much animal fat is bad for you, leads to hardening of the arteries. Asians eat mostly fish, veggies, and rice, and don't get nearly
as many heart attacks as us. What gets them eventually is cancer.

And that being a vegetarian is healthier. I might become one some day. But you have to eat about 40 different fruits, vegs, grains, nuts, etc to stay alive.

I agree. This is the problem, not aforementioned alleged claims.

Also I somehow missed that part of the article. But note that they did not feed them fast food per se. And the reasons why they had trouble was also not because of the aforementioned claims.

Last edited:
Do you have a pet? Try feeding it fast food for awhile and document what happens.

I posted the link: https://www.healthline.com/health/fast-food-effects-on-body

It is the last thing under Central Nervous System. Won't copy and paste (how do they do that???).

This?
A junk food diet could also affect your brain’s synapses and the molecules related to memory and learning, according to a study published in the journal Nature. Animal tests have shown a similar effect. Rats fed a steady diet with over half the calories from fat (similar to a junk food diet) for just a few days had trouble completing a maze they had previously mastered in a 2009 study.

I hear dog food is tastier than cat food. Can't be good for people.

Last edited:
I hear dog food is tastier than cat food. Can't be good for people.

Years ago there was a scandal that seniors were making their ends meet by eating Alpo.

Perhaps as a survival instinct evolved over millennia humans are very attracted to three things: fats, sugars, and salt. Without them we die quickly. With too much of them we die slowly.
I'm not worried about dyes from insects. That's no different that shellac.
Antifreeze? People use toothpaste daily which has 0.1% propylene glycol. As you very correctly pointed out it's not usually what we eat as how much.

Here's a list of common human foods that are toxic to animals.
https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/people-foods-avoid-feeding-your-pets

I very seldom eat fast food, but it's well known that the food served there is frequently high in fat, sugar, and salt. The important thing is just to be aware.

Bottom line for me is that by staying away from these places I've lost nothing significantly detrimental in my life by doing so. I say I win.

Yes, that was the stuff from antifreeze in McShakes or something. I want to kidnap Ronald McDonald and take him to health food seminars, PETA meetings, and organic farms!

TWO THIRDS OF PEOPLE ARE FAT.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-01-07/how-americans-got-so-fat-in-charts

I like to look in peoples carts at the grocery store. Always an exact correlation: overweights have lots of sugar, butter, processed foods, pop, junk food, etc.

Me, there is tofu, wheat germ, and organic veg and fruit. Lean meat. No wonder America is sliding down the charts. Maybe Trump will appoint a food Czar!

Yes, that was the stuff from antifreeze in McShakes or something. I want to kidnap Ronald McDonald and take him to health food seminars, PETA meetings, and organic farms!

TWO THIRDS OF PEOPLE ARE FAT.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-01-07/how-americans-got-so-fat-in-charts

I like to look in peoples carts at the grocery store. Always an exact correlation: overweights have lots of sugar, butter, processed foods, pop, junk food, etc.

Me, there is tofu, wheat germ, and organic veg and fruit. Lean meat. No wonder America is sliding down the charts. Maybe Trump will appoint a food Czar!

I agree. Regardless of the "moderation" rule, two thirds of Americans could care less and it shows. If they ate the same amount of healthier food rather than the junk food they gorge on, I'd bet a large chunk of money on the fact they would NOT be obese. Moderation is easy to tout, for me it just became a way of life by simply removing the junk food courts all together. If you super size the diet Asians eat, I still believe obesity wouldn't be an issue.

Now I see why fast food is additive. SUGAR AND FAT ARE NARCOTIC.

https://foodaddictioninstitute.org/...aving-and-food-addiction-a-scientific-review/

In l994, Nobel et al at UCLA discovered that some obese adults who were “bingeing on dense carbohydrates” and who were neither alcoholic nor drug addicted had the same D2 dopamine gene marker that distinguished alcoholism and other drug addictions. In the following years, Hoebel et al at Princeton reviewed 251 animal studies designed to mimic human ingestion of sugar and found positive indication of physical craving. More recently, Ahmed’s research in France showed that intense sweetness – not just refined sugar, but also artificial sweeteners – surpasses cocaine as a reward in laboratory animals. Just this year (2009), Leibowitz of Rockefeller University demonstrated that overconsumption of fats can be correlated with brain systems which, when activated, further stimulate the intake of fat. Gold at the University of Florida presented summaries of the brain imaging research at several leading universities showing that “palatable food” created the same types of changes in the dopamine receptors of the human brain as alcohol and other widely recognized addictive substances. And a series of studies by Wang of the Brookhaven Institute now demonstrates that those with severe problems with foods can be triggered simply by viewing pictures of the foods on which they tend most often to binge. At such times, their brains look like they are already experiencing a state of biochemical craving.
Colantuoni et al (2002) analyzed over a hundred peer reviewed articles, each of which showed that humans produce opioids – the chemically active ingredient in heroin, cocaine and other narcotics – as a derivative of the digestion of excess sugars and fats.

McDonalds may be causing the OPIOID CRISIS WE ARE IN.

Thanks for your comments, Steven!

EATING FAST FOOD IS SUICIDE: https://www.lifehack.org/articles/l...st-food-why-fast-food-slowly-killing-you.html

Last edited:
There was also notes & studies regarding the costs associated with.

Apparently the costs involved to fed the typical family of 4 a healthy diet initially far outweigh the cost of the 'fast food bucket meal' one can get for the same family. Lump in the fact that it takes 10 or 15 minutes to get said bucket dinner vs. the 1/2 hr+ to make a similar meal at home. (and then the dishes, getting everyone to the table, and...) Parents complain that they don't have time to cook a proper meal, and that buying the groceries for a series of family meals outweigh the costs of a similar string of fast food meals. many have said they can't justify or afford a bag of apples, or that a head of lettuce barely lasts a week.

I think it also comes down to attitudes and the lack of planning (ability) because everyone seems to be running around more & more.. Obviously the restaurants know this, and use it to their advantage.

There was an uproar in Vancouver BC, that the local soft drink companies were allowed into the school, high schools mainly, as they helped subsidise the school system. From what I've heard, they have left, or have installed machines that serve only "healthy" drinks.. (but on that note, nothing stops the kids from walking to the corner store for their sugar rush..)

Maybe we can mostly agree McD's can be great on the way home from a launch? First the mini-bath in the sink, to get off as much of the rocketry as possible. Then the "food" including the option of "ice cream" and a place to collapse a while, all for not much money which, frankly, is good timing by this point!

Maybe we can mostly agree McD's can be great on the way home from a launch? First the mini-bath in the sink, to get off as much of the rocketry as possible. Then the "food" including the option of "ice cream" and a place to collapse a while, all for not much money which, frankly, is good timing by this point!

Nope.

Why not? You need a minimal amount. My blood pressure goes high from too much of it. I eat a few potato chips and there is salt in other stuff. Heck, I may get a big Buford today! Rallys.

If you want unhealthy come to our MacDonald's in Canada, they server poutine. It is a majestic treat from the gods.

McDonalds and most fast food is crap, but I still eat it now and then. In fact, I eat it most often when I go to a rocket launch. I get packed up the night before, and the next morning, I just roll out of bed, hop in the truck and go through the drive-thru. Get a large coffee with cream and sugar and two sausage McMuffins with egg. That's the fastest way for me to get on the road, and even though it is crap, it's a good-tasting breakfast, and it's pretty solid, and will stick with you for a few hours. After about an hour on the road, I stop at a Subway. The main reason is that by then I have to crap, but also, it's the last place to get a decent to-go lunch before the launch site. I get a foot-long sandwich, chips, and 2 bottles of Gatorade. That's my lunch at the launch and snack for the drive home. Sometimes I stop off for a bite on the drive back, and that's usually fast food too.

But other than rocket launches, I never eat that junk. If I get diabetes, I guess I will blame rocketry!

I liked the Spurlock film, Supersize Me. But I think the reason he got so unhealthy so fast was not just the fast food, but also the other rules he had set out for himself. He had been a very active and athletic person, and he gave up all exercise for the film. Also, he had a rule that if the cashier asked whether he wanted to "supersize it", he had to say yes, and he had to eat the whole thing. So he hadn't just changed the composition of his diet, he was also overeating by a huge amount, and he wasn't burning calories the way he had before. Just that alone, screwing up your balance of calories in versus calories out by a few thousand a day, will blow you up like a balloon in no time at all. The film was interesting, but I think it was an indictment of a lifestyle --- not just fast food, but also being sedentary and overeating.

Somehow, I just can't picture Asian people in general who sit on their @ss becoming obese eating what they eat. There are certainly varying levels in regards to how one becomes obese concerning diet and exercise, yet I wonder to what extent a "super size" Asian meal a person would gain weight from.

The food you eat can definitely have a huge impact on your health, but it's really your whole lifestyle.

Last year when I was on my 500-mile walking trip in Spain, I was consuming probably 3,000 calories a day and still losing weight and gaining muscle. I was eating everything I could get my hands on, healthy or not, but walking 12-15 miles every day just burns it up. Most of the food there is "natural" or traditional to a much higher degree than in the US, but that doesn't mean it's necessarily "healthy" by a lot of standards. I had eggs and potatoes in one form or another, plus toast with butter almost every day for my main breakfast. (Usually there were two breakfasts, a little one, and later the big one.) I had a sandwich with a huge amount of bread and very salty and fatty cured ham and cheese for lunch. Dinners always came with fries, and I'm not talking a few fries, it was half the second-course plate! I've never eaten as many fries in my life. Dinners always included dessert, which I seldom have at home. My wife and I split a bottle of wine every night, because it was included with the meal. Sometimes we would buy another glass or another bottle. Sometimes a beer or two in the afternoon after walking. Sometimes a brandy before bed. And there were endless snack breaks too. Spanish food is not heavy on vegetables, and if there are veggies, they usually are stewed all day and have a noticeable amount of oil.

So the diet was heavy on carbs, fat, and salt, low on fruits and vegetables, but I never felt more healthy in my life. It shows what the human body is evolved for. We were meant to be moving all day long, not necessarily intensely, but continuously. If you are doing that, then all the things we crave make sense --- sweet, fat, salt. Fuel for a working body.

But we also have a natural evolutionary urge to not waste energy needlessly, so we tend to take it easy if we can. Today those evolutionary urges are working against us, because we don't have to work physically, so we mostly choose not to, but we still want to eat, and food is endlessly plentiful. It's actually our evolutionary success that has resulted in an environment that makes it hard to stay healthy.

Had to look that up: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poutine

Fries with gravy is weird. That is not a normal McD's item. Ronald McDonald will be visiting with a security team. :cool:

growing up in Canada, gravy on fries is normal. They ask you in most major resteraunts if you want a side of gravy. You should try it it's great. It's strange that close linked countries like Canada and America can have such cultural differences.

growing up in Canada, gravy on fries is normal. They ask you in most major resteraunts if you want a side of gravy. You should try it it's great. It's strange that close linked countries like Canada and America can have such cultural differences.

Gravy on fries is common some places in Montana also. We also have poutine on some menus.

About the only time I hit McDonalds (very occasionally) is for their breakfast wraps (Kale, Feta cheese, tomatoes, eggs, whole grain flatbread). It's not ultra-fantastic, but it's a far cry better than the pancakes.

Apart from those occasional times, I'd rather make my own.

Thanks Thirsty. It really is your whole life style. Mc. Donalds is not making America obese. America is.
Some guys can eat whole pizzas (Or even more) be filled, and still be fit. Of course they are VERY active people, track runners etc.
Stop being victimized by everything.

Just how obese would Americans be if they ate Asian cuisine instead of fast food all the time. Remember, when all is said and done, two thirds of all Americans ARE obese while Asians are predominantly thin. It's like saying don't blame the cigarettes, blame the people yet we know smoking IS bad for you.

Just how obese would Americans be if they ate Asian cuisine instead of fast food all the time. Remember, when all is said and done, two thirds of all Americans ARE obese while Asians are predominantly thin. It's like saying don't blame the cigarettes, blame the people yet we know smoking IS bad for you.

Americanized Asian food isn't much better...

Back