Clubs in Oregon

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody's Workshop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Seams the wife is determined to move to Oregon this summer.
Was wondering if you'd all chime in on clubs there.
I found one club on a search, but there must be more than 1.
The one I found launches at Brothers, Sheridan, and Home Garden.
I don't know why she want's to move there.
I've been looking at real estate all evening and GD, it's expensive.
What costs 100k here is easy 350 or 400 there. :surprised::eyepop::y:
Best deal I found was acreage at 20 & 27 West of Brother.
Middle of no where.

OROC (Oregon Rocketry) is the one you located and AFAIK the biggest, there are others in WA just a few hours from Portland, such as Washington Aerospace, Blue Mountain Rocketeers, Tri-Cities Rocketeers (the club I'm a member of), Washington High Power (WHiP), Spokane Area Rocketry Club (Sparc), Boeing Employees Model Rocket Club (BEMRC). Yes real estate is more expensive in the northwest, blame it on the Californians....:)

Well, you've already found OROC. That's the only club I'm aware of.

Down south, I'm wondering if there's a Jefferson State club... Yup! SOR Southern Oregon Rocketry which is part of NAR.

Yes, OROC is the only club that I know of that put on HPR launches, but there are other clubs. Eugene has a NAR chapter. Gorge Rocket Club is based in the Hood River area and is fairly active.

Be aware that there is a world of difference between Western Oregon and Central/Eastern Oregon.

Western Oregon is wet and green, covered in forests and agricultural land. It rains all winter, snows a little, and has mild summers.

Central/Eastern Oregon (where Brothers is located) is mostly high-desert areas, sometimes covered in pine forests, but mostly open sagebrush country. It is dry, but will get very cold and the snow can stick around all winter. There are occasional thunderstorms in the summer and it can get fairly hot.

I'm curious, why does she want to move to Oregon?

Yes, OROC is the only club that I know of that put on HPR launches, but there are other clubs. Eugene has a NAR chapter. Gorge Rocket Club is based in the Hood River area and is fairly active.

Be aware that there is a world of difference between Western Oregon and Central/Eastern Oregon.

Western Oregon is wet and green, covered in forests and agricultural land. It rains all winter, snows a little, and has mild summers.

Central/Eastern Oregon (where Brothers is located) is mostly high-desert areas, sometimes covered in pine forests, but mostly open sagebrush country. It is dry, but will get very cold and the snow can stick around all winter. There are occasional thunderstorms in the summer and it can get fairly hot.

Fairly HOT! Really...:) (its not quite Vegas or AZ or Death Valley hot).

2 of her sisters live there. Her one sister lives in Hawaii, and she is quite ill.
Home is Saipan. She'd be closer to home, her sisters and family.
When her only brother passed, she didn't make it to his funeral.
She could have, if she lived on the West Coast.
My brother lives in Marysville, WA and works at Boeing.
My oldest son works and lives on Mt. Hood.
There really isn't anything left here in Michigan for us anyways.

Fairly HOT! Really...:) (its not quite Vegas or AZ or Death Valley hot).

Well, it can get to be what I would call "really hot" but, with the lack of humidity some people wouldn't think so. The average high in Bend in July is 82 degrees. In Brothers it is 80, but with an average nighttime low of 41.

2 of her sisters live there. Her one sister lives in Hawaii, and she is quite ill.
Home is Saipan. She'd be closer to home, her sisters and family.
When her only brother passed, she didn't make it to his funeral.
She could have, if she lived on the West Coast.
My brother lives in Marysville, WA and works at Boeing.
My oldest son works and lives on Mt. Hood.
There really isn't anything left here in Michigan for us anyways.

Sounds like you should be out here, then!

If you don't need to worry about commuting to work then you will find a lot better deals on real estate far from the population centers. Mt. Hood is still pretty close to Portland, but there may be some decent deals in the Madras area if you don't mind the desert. If you want to be in the Willamette Valley, Estacada has relatively cheap housing and is less than an hour from Mt. Hood. What does your son do, if you don't mind saying?

In Oregon, we may only have one [major] rocketry club - OROC - but we've got a heck of a launch site.
With a waiver to 42,280 AGL at Brothers and reasonable proximity to the Black Rock Playa, you'll be hard pressed to find a better flying location.

Plus, in Oregon, you can "choose your weather."
Nearly all year sunshine in places like Madras.
Mild summers and rainy winters in the Willamette valley.
Then there is the coast with a little of everything.

And something that's rare in Michigan - you usually have to drive to find snow, but can do that year round.

Note: many who want to move here consider south-west Washington instead - no income tax there as opposed to no sales tax here.

Last edited:
I'm near portland and between the tri-cities club and the brothers oroc site I'm able to fly high power nearly year round and twice a month between may-october if you don't mind the drive(4 hours) the Oroc site has the capability of allowing personal/non scheduled launches if you have your own equipment and plan ahead enough to have the waivers activated.

Frank

One thing that hasn't been mentioned - move to Oregon and you will have the ability to forego shipping on Binder Design, Polecat Aerospace, and Dynasoar rocket kits. :)

How many states can boast that many awesome rocketry vendors?

and Greg Clark from Big Red Bee, and Greg Deputy who does Burnsim (OK, he's actually Washington), and... lots of folks here.

There's also EuROC based out of Eugene, and BORG "Bend Oregon Rocketry Gro***. I don't know if either of those does their own high power launches.

Although I would love the desert area between Bend and Brother...
I contacted the realtor and it seams it can not be zoned for housing.
It's strictly for non living structures as equipment housing.
Just chatting with the wife. Seams she wants to live next to her Sister, or close as she can get.
I've bugged her for 3 days now to get her address so I can locate it.
I'm sure they live in an expensive part of Oregon, not close to any launch sites or clubs.
If my May hearing yields my disability, we may part ways. It seams our goals these days are on opposite sides of the fence.

Back