Are there different generations/versions of the Q2G2

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J Blatz

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I had a few from 4-5 years ago and they were 100% reliable.

Some I obtained a couple years ago have been kinda sketchy in the BP clusters I use them for.

Has there been a change?

Unfortunately, yes - there was a change. Due to a change in regulations they had to remove the pyrogen which makes them a bit less reliable

They use to be sold in different lengths, which were 8" and 3.5". The ones with the longer lead wires were quite a bit more expensive. I don't think a person can find any for sale now. I just checked Apogee and they don't even list them anymore. I just checked Qwest on-line and I was unable to add them to the shopping card (They are probably out of stock.).

They use to be sold in different lengths, which were 8" and 3.5". The ones with the longer lead wires were quite a bit more expensive. I don't think a person can find any for sale now. I just checked Apogee and they don't even list them anymore. I just checked Qwest on-line and I was unable to add them to the shopping card (They are probably out of stock.).

We've had a mountain of these on order from AeroTech for quite some time now. However, but the prospects of that being fulfilled anytime soon doesn't appear likely based on past conversations with AT. Things could always change of course, so who knows....

As I understand it, the production of Q2G2's were tied into the manufacture of Quest Black Powder motors. Since these are no longer going to be made, I suspect the fate of Q2G2's is uncertain. Perhaps their production could be outsourced to an ematch company, since they share many of the same characteristics.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I used to use them almost exclusively for deployments since they ran on such low current, no more. The new ones take more current and don't light up anywhere near as well as the old ones. They're still great for BP motors, but I've gone to FireWire ematches for deployments.

Latest posts

Back