Protovamp - A Galaxy Class Predator

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Woody. I'm hoping I won't have to have a custom color mixed to do the paint job I'm entertaining. I'm almost certain it won't be in Rusto 2X. As for lathes, I still have my el-cheapo mini lathe I kept for small nose cones, but I don't like it much. I really need to break down and get a nicer one.

I built me a little jig to preassemble the thrusters on. I figured since I was installing them in pairs, I needed to have a way to keep the tube cuts where they need to be. The points (if you will) needed to be right where the glue joints will go. So I got all six of them together and banded them on an old scrap BT 50 with a CR fitted as a makeshift base. I dribbled just a wee bit of CA between each pair and let them sit while I got busy with the remaining glue joints for the cannons.

14.JPG

I already had two spots prepped from previously, and I needed one spot on either side. These cannons will be installed as triplets, so I banded 1 cannon on a glue joint and used a couple scraps of BT 20 on either side so I could accurately mark where the new glue joints will be going. Since I’ll be putting skins on these, I’ll install them individually. I’d like not to have to glue these cannons together except for maybe a small drop of CA or TB at either end, for aesthetic purposes. Hence, each cannon with it’s own glue joint.

15.JPG

After sanding the nose cone smooth and some light touch-ups on the thrusters, I had to decide how the launch lug was going to work. I would have liked to conceal it under the BT 80 but it’s too tight in there. I also knew that most of my lug would be closer to the aft end of the rocket than I would have preferred, so I chose to use 1 BIG LUG. I took 2 of those 4” long starter/igniter tubes and daisy chained them to an 8” length. Truth be known, there’s no real issue with having oversized lugs on a thinner launch rod unless it’s really loose, so no worries there. With a ¼” dowel inserted in the lug for support, I rolled it in a big bead of Bondo on wax paper for a good spiral fill and finger rubbed it in really well. Sanded that smooth after drying, and skinned the outside for durability. The launch lug will center on the outside of the BT 80 between the wing tube fins and appear to be a sort of component on the exterior.
All of the glue joints on the airframe have been prepped and I used Tamiya tape to cover them. As it turns out, everything on this rocket is getting painted or skinned before assembly. I hadn’t planned on this, but it seemed the most logical approach since I chose to skin the tube fins and cannons. I also had to consider priming these parts since my skins are only copy paper. White 2X primer had to be applied to achieve an adequate color balance for the skins. OOPS! Now I gotta prep another glue joint on that BT 80 for the lug. Hadn’t thought of that till now, so that’ll get done before I can prime the airframes.
And yes, all of this typing is done in advance and edited before posting.

16.JPG

17.JPG

I printed 4 skin sheets and gave them all a good clear coat. It’s interesting that my prints are a lot more “bio” in appearance than they were on the computer screen. Maybe somewhat darker, so now I’ll know better what shade of ”alien green” to choose for the airframes. Nothing in the rattle can aisles is blowing my skirt up so it’s off to NAPA for a custom color. The prints are a dragon scales pattern I found which was the look I was searching for. I had considered a snake skin pattern but that didn’t do it for me. I did the color adjustments in Corel Draw and Corel Photo. These are somewhat brighter and lighter than they are originally, but for online viewing, I opted to make them pop a bit. This bio-mechanical predator will definitely be the first time I ever had a completely finished rocket right after the assembly.

18.JPG

19.JPG

Here’s a rear view rendering of just how all this gets put together. Just know that the tube on top is the rudder.

Protovamp Rear View.jpg

Looking good - can't wait for the final results!
Thanks man. The final results are likely to happen all at once. As a rule, the very last thing I install is the teabag shock cord mount. Back in the day, Estes used to have you install it about 1/2 through the build, and it only got in the way. Since I still mount shocks that way, it's the last thing anymore.

Gary, on your lathe.
A few post earlier you mentioned you needed new one.
I don't know what you are considering, or even if you at this time.
Jet, Rikon and Nova are some top of the line ones.
Many people don't know about "Penn State Industries".
They have a line of lathers, has been around a long time and they always have sales.
Especially on kits. But you probably on need the lathe.
The pen turning lathe I had was just like the Penn State, just branded differently.
and it was a nice lathe for the money.

Looking forward to seeing this come together. Those skins should be interesting.

I do not like being forced to prepaint but it seems unavoidable in some situations, especially when working with tubes.

While I’m waiting to let the white base coats dry, I glued the launch lug on last night and let that dry also. GEEZ! That thing looked hideous on the side of the airframe! So tonight I did what LW suggested and started housing it in. I figure, it can be a sort of reactor bay or integral miscellaneous dit dow part of the rocket. This is stage 1, and tomorrow I’ll shape the corners and ends down and throw some fillets on it. Prolly gonna need some Bondo too. I’ll make look like a happy little part. OK, where’s that special Bob Ross paint brush I bought!

20.JPG

Last edited:
My lug housing turned out sweet! Looks like a big bump on the airframe right now, but the skin it’ll get should lend itself to that bio look I’m working on. All airframes and the nose cone have now been base painted and waiting in line for their shot of green. It’s a selected metallic green something or other, that I took an hour picking out. Now I just have to wait till these are bone dry. The fin tubes and cannons are ready to be skinned. I’m going with a spray adhesive for that.

21.JPG

I pre-mounted the skins with a piece of tape at the center so I could cut away the excess paper I wouldn’t be using. I left about ¼” of it sticking out at both ends of all tubes. The big tube skins got sprayed with adhesive 1 at a time and I waited about 1 minute before applying to the tubes. This worked out very nicely as you can see. I was able to handle the cannons 3 at a time. All tubes have now been covered and trimmed. I’ll have to go back and touch up the tube ends to get rid of that white rim, but that’s easy enough. This is where those paint pens come in real handy. There’s only 1 skin left to do and that’ll be the lug housing. Prolly give that a couple more days to dry.

22.JPG

Wow, funky. Did you leave a clear area on the back for gluing for the glue joints?

Yes I did. I could have cut away any had it been too close, but it worked out nicely. A little correction to note. I'll have to wait until I get the airframes colored before I can apply the lug skin. And the weather will be playing games this week/weekend, so I'm not sure if I'll get the airbrushing done. I'm hoping Saturday will be nice. I have another rocket that's been in base paint for a few months now that needs some silver airbrushing. Like to get it all done at once if possible.

The painting went well. I let it sit for a few days before I indulged myself with the skinned parts. That auto paint hardens pretty quick compared to rattle can paint.

24.JPG

Aaaaaaand PRESTO! See how fast this bugger’s going together? The fin tubes are glued with 5 minute epoxy, the thrusters with Titebond and likewise to the first two cannons. I also skinned the lug housing with the same print I used on the cannons. Tomorrow I’ll install the rest of the thrusters and cannons. Once they’re dry, the two halves of the rocket will go together.

25.JPG

26.JPG

Man, that really looks cool!
I'm shakin' in my boots Tango. All my rocketry life, I can only think of one other "GREEN" rocket I have built and generally shy away from them for obvious reasons. I gotta admit though, green does work for this one. Looks pretty cool to me too. Thanks for the comp. I may have to consider a wee bit of airframe aesthetics before it's all said and done though.

I'm not done with this yet. The halves aren't glued together and I still have the laundry to install. Still contemplating some minor aesthetic dolollies on the airframe, but I had to get a pic. This one is pretty shoddy too. It needs to be in the daylight perched for a glamour shot. Ya'll think it'll fly?

27.JPG

I got a few fairly good pics in today. Like I said, I need a real camera. Please disregard the left over dangling suspension strings above the rocket. I really didn't feel like cloning all of them out. Just the most intrusive ones.

28.JPG 29.JPG 30.JPG 31.JPG

Back