Estes V2 from Washington, DC build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocket2Russia

Reaction score
Hey folks,
Had a fun time and learned a few things building my last Estes V2 so when I went into Hobby Works in Laurel, MD and they had a 30% off sale I bought another. I reinforced the centering rings by cutting out duplicates out of cardstock then laminating them to the supplied centering rings. The balsa fins on these have a reputation for not being very durable so I cut one fin using the supplied fin and scale template and will use it as a template to cut the other 3 fins. I have some 380# braided Kevlar that I will use as a shock cord. I will get a nylon parachute for it as well.

My questions are should I get a parachute protector or just use dog barf? Would you use an Aerotech E20-4 or E20-7 with this? Someone mentioned using the Testors orange tube glue for the fin fillets but I have seen more examples of people using epoxy clay.

Here are a couple of photos I shot with my smartphone as I was too lazy to shoot them with my Nikon then transfer the images. The fin needs a bit of cleaning up with some sandpaper.
v2_build01.jpgv2_build02.jpg

My questions are should I get a parachute protector or just use dog barf? Would you use an Aerotech E20-4 or E20-7 with this? Someone mentioned using the Testors orange tube glue for the fin fillets but I have seen more examples of people using epoxy clay.

First off, that fin looks great, and good luck matching it.

Personally, I don't like the epoxy clay. It gets very brittle and adds weight "at the wrong end of the rocket" as some say.
My first thought is to suggest a filleting wood glue like TB No-run No-drip or TB Quick and Thick. I'm unsure how that'll adhere to that plastic transition though.

Boattail on the Estes V2 all cleaned up.

For those who are considering building this kit I scraped off the tabs that covered the fin slots with an Xacto knife taking off just a little bit at a time like I was whittling wood. Afterwards I finished with course sandpaper. I took off both ends with a hobby saw rotating the piece as I cut to make sure that I stayed in the groove and got a uniform cut

v2_build03.jpg

Boattail on the Estes V2 all cleaned up.

For those who are considering building this kit I scraped off the tabs that covered the fin slots with an Xacto knife taking off just a little bit at a time like I was whittling wood. Afterwards I finished with course sandpaper. I took off both ends with a hobby saw rotating the piece as I cut to make sure that I stayed in the groove and got a uniform cut

View attachment 313526

Nice job. Removing the plastic to expose those slots is a non-trivial task (for some of us ! :blush:) Looks like you got'um nice and flush and kept the slots nice and straight.

ARE YOU BUILDING THAT ON YOUR WIFE'S GRANITE COUNTER TOP???

ARE YOU BUILDING THAT ON YOUR WIFE'S GRANITE COUNTER TOP???

That is MY counter top. I am single. After removing the tabs and cleaning them up with sandpaper they needed to be widened a bit with some filing. I have a set of small files that worked perfectly for the job. Someone suggested 30 minute epoxy for the fillets but at the big box store I went to they didn't have any. Someone did the fillets with Gorilla Wood Glue and it came out real nice. I know how many people here really like the Titebond so I bought my first bottle. I will experiment by gluing the scrap plastic cut off from the boattail to a piece of scrap wood. No work until Monday night at 11pm and the weather will be cold and crummy this weekend so I hope to get the fins cut out tonight or on Sunday. After that all the major work is done.

I know almost nothing about the space program but I am a big WW1 and WW2 nerd. The V2 has such an important place in the history of rocketry. I plan on building all the variations of the rocket that I can. Someone has the big Estes V2 for sale but I think my money would be better spent on one of the Loc Precision V2s.

Thanks James. Youtube is one of the greatest things to come along in my lifetime. Just recently I have been watching an 18 part documentary on Operation Barbarosa. I have learned so much about photography, model trolleys, building train (in my case trolleys) layouts, history, travel, you name it. I plan on shooting some videos which will explain the world of rocketry as time goes on.

Back