Keychain video camera taped to rocket - bad flight, good video

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billdz

Reaction score
I've seen videos from people who had taped a cheap $5 808 keychain camera to a rocket, but it always seemed strange that the rocket could fly straight with so much extra weight on one side. But there are many videos on YouTube so my young son and his friend wanted to try it. Here's the result:
[video=youtube;OMdXiMvza3E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMdXiMvza3E[/video]
Not sure what we did wrong, but the rocket didn't go straight up, it curved and landed well outside the park. We were very fortunate to retrieve it. Our friends like the video, though.

looks underpowered. What was the rocket/motor?

Estes Amazon with a C6-5.

Any guesses on what is that round object that appears at 23 seconds? My son thinks it's the parachute but it seems too far away.

Last edited:
The black spot... looks like it was the sun. Turned black due to too much for the images sensor. At least that's my opinion.

I've flown the 808 on a few similar rockets and not had it effect the trajectory. Perhaps it was effect of cross wind weather cocking it?

See below, I took a freeze frame and blew it up, now I'm thinking it is the parachute, with the nose cone dangling below. Still looks quite far away.

There was no wind, my other rockets came almost straight down. The Amazon usually comes down close to the launch pad, so my guess is still that the camera destabilized it. I taped it as far forward as possible. Would like to understand what happened so this won't occur again, any thoughts?

objects behind rocket.jpg

Thanks for sharing that very nice video.

You will find the Handbook of Model Rocketry by G. Harry Stein at the library or used copies can be picked-up online.
This is a very helpful book when you are trying to understand the basics of rocketry and rocket flight.

Adding the 808 camera made the rocket OVER stable and more susceptible to weather cocking. Placing the camera closer to the CG might be better next time.

One nice thing about on-board video is that it allows for great flight analysis. Ignition @ 18 sec. The video clearly shows the the rocket arcs-over during the coast phase. The black spot is the sun. The rocket is pointing directly down when the ejection charge goes off @25 sec.

A C6-3 would have been better than the C6-5 in this case.

Thanks for sharing that very nice video.

You will find the Handbook of Model Rocketry by G. Harry Stein at the library or used copies can be picked-up online.
This is a very helpful book when you are trying to understand the basics of rocketry and rocket flight.

Adding the 808 camera made the rocket OVER stable and more susceptible to weather cocking. Placing the camera closer to the CG might be better next time.

One nice thing about on-board video is that it allows for great flight analysis. Ignition @ 18 sec. The video clearly shows the the rocket arcs-over during the coast phase. The black spot is the sun. The rocket is pointing directly down when the ejection charge goes off @25 sec.

A C6-3 would have been better than the C6-5 in this case.

LOL

Scott took the words right out of my mouth. :)

Your rocket might be better suited to a D12-5 rather than a C6-5 with the camera however your field might be too small for that and the D12 probably won't fit the motor mount.

Thanks for the info and analysis. Just ordered the Stein book. How does it compare with the Canepa book, which has also been recommended?

I'll try putting the camera closer to the CG next time. Can't use a D with this particular rocket, probably better to use a larger one.

The Amazon is underpowered as is. Adding the weight of the camera slowed it down even more, making the fins less effective off the pad.

Thanks for the info and analysis. Just ordered the Stein book. How does it compare with the Canepa book, which has also been recommended?

I'll try putting the camera closer to the CG next time. Can't use a D with this particular rocket, probably better to use a larger one.

Just a thought. You could get some of the Aerotech 18mm composite D motors. A D21-7 should give it a good ride with that camera strapped to it.

Aerotech D21-4 or D10-5. I agree with Ryan - the Amazon can be "entertaining" even without a camera's extra mass and drag. 7 seconds would be too much.....

Back